1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/24 8:15 p.m.

I don't know if we've decided yet, we were looking at running the FD RX7 Spirit R as a one-make series.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/26/24 9:41 a.m.

Are we still testing tonight?  Or starting a new series?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/26/24 2:01 p.m.

I think we are still testing(?). This is a weird time of year with vacations and such, so participation might be low.

If anyone has anything they are interested in trying, certainly speak up.  I might have something (older of course) we could try.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/24 9:12 a.m.

I really REALLY liked the Simger Porsches we tested but it I feer that they would be a source of hate for many.  The 3.8 singer was the most tame one of the bunch. For those that want to play with them I have a file in the test folder on the Google drive.  Those three cars plus the RSR could make an interesting series. I was thinking of two races each starting with the singer 3.8 and ending with the RSR.  An easy to hard series eight races total. 

The safe choice is to go with the FD rx7 as a single make series. 

people need to let us know what you prefer. I will be defaulting to the RX7 if I don't get feedback. 

I would like to start next week. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/27/24 9:32 a.m.

I'll download the Singers and give them a try.

For a spec series, I really liked the BMWs we tested last night.  I know they're similar to the GT4s we just raced, but they're a lot tamer, and still fun and rewarding to drive.  I think they will be good for a wide range of drivers and make for good racing.

I don't like the FD RX7 at all.  It's got some frustrating handling traits, that can probably be minimized with tuning and adjustable brake bias (if we can mod them for that), but it's basically pretty boring to drive... 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/27/24 12:53 p.m.

I think you can figure out where I land with this one.  Could be a good way for some to learn how to drive these cars.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
6/27/24 7:12 p.m.

I like the 4.0 Singer, but I still think the BMWs will make for the best racing.

dean1484
6/28/24 2:21 a.m.

I added a NSX to the testing folder and have it and the BMW up in the server. Two very equal cars in stock form.

I am thinking of just going with these two cars next week from some non points racing. I will be out of town the following week so I either miss the first race or we start after that. 

dean1484
6/28/24 11:15 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I am with you Air.  The singers are harder cars to drive for sure.  They require a different skill set.  You have to drive them differently.  But once you master them they are so much fun.  (at least I think so).  One of the things that I think get people in trouble is that you have to under-drive them while at the same time, you have to drive them with the throttle and that is counterintuitive.  

I would do a series with them but I can see that people would not be too happy with them.  (kind of like me with miata's  LOL)  I need to force myself to drive the lower HP cars and master what it takes to drive them fast.  I just can not seem to find the limits with them and because of the low HP once you are under the limit you don't have the power to bring you back to it.  You then usually end up paying a much higher price in terms of your lap time because with a poor corner exit speed, you are then slower all the way down the strait.  For me it just becomes a kind of death by a thousand pricks and by the end of a race I am 10-15 seconds off the leaders.  

I would love to do some racing with the Singers.  The 3.8 was by far the easiest of the bunch.  The 4.0 was great fun and the RS was not as fast but was much more rough and razers edge with the handling.  the AWD one was interesting.  IT was "ok" but I think the AWD aspect of it would need to be adjusted.  It was just not right.  It was like they were trying to give you AWD but there was not enough AWD so when you would expect it.  

Maybe some one-off non points races with them would be fun if people are up for it.  

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/1/24 10:55 a.m.

I'm down for the RSR as a single make series, when I've tried the Singers they just didn't feel as fun to me.  Both the RSR and the FD rx7 would make for good racing IMO.  I think the singers might give us more off-track adventures and more turn 1 chaos.  

dean1484
7/1/24 12:54 p.m.

I put some new cars up on the server last night.  I added those that are not Kunos cars to the google drive.

All are good cars that would make for interesting racing.  I agree that the RSR would be REALLY fun but it can be frustrating to those that have not driven one much.  I also like the Singer 4.0.  The Singer 3.8 is fun but rather easy to drive.

On the server, I took the NSX off and added 2 more cars.  The Focus RS and another one that I don't remember at the moment.  I tested a dozen or so cars last night and only came up with these 4 that I think are viable for a single-make series (that are not the Singer cars)

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/1/24 7:15 p.m.

I still like the BMW for a spec series, but the Focus is pretty good, and a bit faster.  Both are fun to drive and not too extreme.

FD and S2K... meh.

dean1484
7/2/24 4:08 p.m.

I like them all for different reasons.  Why I put them all up on the server.  Maybe we can do s shorter series of say 4 races and then jump to the next car?  Maybe do two races in each car?   I am open to anything and with it being summer time we could make it more drop-in friendly.

cmcmillin31
7/3/24 8:58 a.m.

I like the idea of 5 races with one car and then everybody switches and does 5 more.  What if we started with the BMW and then switched to the 3.8 singer or RSR?  We could call it the German Touring Car challenge......10 races total

cmcmillin31
7/3/24 8:59 a.m.

Whoever is leading in the points by the 5th BMW race gets to pick which Porsche is next

dean1484
7/3/24 4:18 p.m.
dean1484
7/4/24 1:53 p.m.

So for next week I have put 4 cars up. The Pontiac is the wild card.  It is in the google drive. I kind of like it.  If we go with the BMW we will need to open up adjustment of the gears and the rear dif. The 2-3 shift is just so bad and it being an 8 speed makes for us being able to have a car with a really well set up gears. 

The Lotus I really like!!!   I am leaning towards that. 

The ford is there for fun. Maybe a possible BTCC series down the line. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/8/24 1:11 p.m.

Mid-Ohio is the track currently loaded on the server... is that on the google drive?  I wasn't able to find it in the testing or season folders...

dean1484
7/8/24 1:57 p.m.

Ohhh hopfully Air sees this and he can put it on the google drive for you.  I don't have remote access to the server pc. I really need to set that up. 

I am away this week so the server is on auto pilot. 

dean1484
7/8/24 2:17 p.m.

I texted Air and he is on it. 

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/8/24 2:33 p.m.

Awesome.  Thanks! yes

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/8/24 7:39 p.m.

It's up:  midohioch.7z       https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UC33ZrBpLyFCGMVfYvGQLTP61xmux4tL/view?usp=drive_link

Indycar had a super clean race there on Sunday.

dean1484
7/10/24 12:16 a.m.
Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/10/24 8:22 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's hilarious!  I can think of some students that would have benefitted from that....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/10/24 5:25 p.m.

So, tonight Dean is out, so we cannot make any changes to the server.  The track is linked above in case you don't have it.  There is a new car in there, the Fiero, so make sure to download that from the Testing / Cars folder:  bk_pon_fiero_88

The room should be setup for races, which we can skip if needed, but should probably at least try a race with the Fiero's, and maybe talk over how to use pit stops (not sure we will use them, but it's a good time to practice).  The room is not setup to require pit stops, but we can still do them (e.g. have everyone to start with limited fuel).

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
keVloK5HodOl1mjjVSpx5iho6Q83W6rtizRUodqtgYnu5jJAugWDDNvvq21mjhMM