AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/24 12:14 p.m.

I've talked with Patrick briefly about this conceptually but there is now an extremely good deal out there for an enclosed trailer that I'm exploring. Would like the group's thoughts. My main concern is over stressing Elmore in his current state.

For those that don't know, Elmore is my tow pig - a '67 F350. It's got a somewhat built 429 (put together 30 years ago) backed by a rebuilt (last year) C6 with a cooler and a Dana 70 with massive helper springs. Drum brakes all around. 

On race weekends, I'm towing my 16' open trailer with either the E21 (just over 2k lbs wet) or Miata (probably ~2,200) on it with probably four(?) hundred pounds of tools/supplies in the bed and tool boxes of the utility bed. I also now have a Vespa as my pit bike. I tow at between 65 and 70 mph and the truck never complains at all. The open trailer has no brakes, I give myself plenty of room and the drums slow us down just fine although that is really when you can feel the weight. 

The trailer in question is an 18 ft Wells Cargo which appears to be 8 feet wide. The seller guesses it is 1,200 lbs and it has fully functional trailer brakes. 

To me, this math seems to add up pretty well but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Really, I'm most concerned about whoah-ing the whole thing down and would have to add a brake controller but I'm also not sure how the C6 would fare with the added load. A manual trans swap will happen eventually but not this year. 

Thoughts?

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/16/24 12:24 p.m.

I'll let the more knowledgeable respond to the truck questions, but it would question him on the trailer weight. 1,200 lbs is on the lighter end for an open steel car trailer.  Typical enclosed trailers of that size are around 3,000 lbs.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
10/16/24 12:48 p.m.

An aluminum 16' fully enclosed will be just north of 2,000lb. Add another 1,000lb for steel. 1200 might be right if it is kilograms. Even open steel trailers are over a ton. 

90% of my towing is with karting, but a few times a year I'd borrow a friend's open steel trailer to do DE with my Elise (1,900lb). I recently bought an aluminum 18' enclosed and it has been awesome so far for karting, but that's just a twenty minute drive across town. I'll be towing the Elise in a couple weeks, so I'm excited to see how that goes. 

My trailer started around 2.100lb without options. With fully finished walls, insulation, rubber floor, and finished/insulated ceiling, that all added a few hundred depending on where you check the paperwork. Either 300lb or 500lb extra. My gut agrees more with the 300lb number. Add more for cabinets, spare, etc. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/24 1:19 p.m.

That trailer is likely closer to 3k lbs empty but Elmore should still tow it just fine.  Make sure you've got functional brakes on the trailer and plan on maybe running a little slower when pulling long hills but otherwise don't worry about it. 

AxeHealey
10/16/24 1:39 p.m.

Great point on the weight - hardly any chance it's that light. 

I guess someone else is coming to check it out this Sunday. We'll see where this goes. 

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/17/24 8:59 a.m.

My 8.5x24' steel trailer was 4k lbs empty, before I added anything (bench, toolbox, winch, etc.), so yeah, 3k is probably pretty close.  I wouldn't be too worried about towing it with your rig.  What may become a problem is space.  I get that you're now towing with a 16' trailer and this will be longer, but if you're going to spend the money to upgrade, I'd seriously consider looking for a 20' trailer, especially with a pit bike added to the mix.

AxeHealey
10/17/24 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Heard. I just don't want to go down the rabbit hole of "Well, if I'm upping to 20', I may as well go up to 24' and be able to take this, and this, and this and...well E36 M3 now I can bring two cars, etc..." I really like the relative simplicity of my track weekend loading/unloading. 

The Vespa may also travel in the bed of the truck like my old pit bike always did. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zgui6UrjIi3s24vUIIYiGPCET2bil3iwZhi3jqxEwLbYtAnCnxJputW3mIRBlCAm