From the GRM Vault: Fiero Unchained

This article comes from all the way back in 1996, so we had to march back to our archives, pick out the magazine, and dig out the scanner.

To zoom in, hold down the CTRL (or Command on a Mac) key and then hit the “+” key.

Want to read about the coolest cars in amateur motorsports? Get a year of Grassroots Motorsports for just $20. Subscribe now.

Pontiac Fiero autocross race car

Pontiac Fiero autocross race car

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Pontiac articles.

Comments

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/22/18 3:51 p.m.

Ok, that's pretty much the definition of the name for this magazine for many people.

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
1/22/18 4:50 p.m.

The Year 2004: Sounds like The Future,  looks vintage.  Somehow looks even more bitchin in black and white.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/22/18 5:03 p.m.

This guy was building ghettocets before it was cool!

(Well, not as cool as it is now cool)

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
1/22/18 5:23 p.m.

Awesome. Do we know if he is still running it 14 years later?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
1/22/18 5:40 p.m.

Not that I am aware of.  He was in our club and local region, but do not believe he is active any longer.  I can't recall seeing it after 2000 or so.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
1/22/18 5:41 p.m.

It was a big, big car, but the workmanship was pretty good.  He had a blast with it.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
1/22/18 6:57 p.m.

Wonder where it is/what it looks like now

1/22/18 9:00 p.m.
Tyler H said:

That article ran before 2004. I can check when I get home, but I'm guessing it's from 1996 or so. Jerry and his creation showed up at a test and tune that we did at Road Atlanta in conjunction with the ARRC. This is also from a time of film cameras, black-and-white magazine signatures and stuff like that.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/22/18 10:03 p.m.
racerdave600 said:

Only big by A-mod standards laugh

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
1/23/18 8:28 a.m.

This article is from 1996 as David remembered. I accidentally left the 2004 year in there when using intro text from another article. All fixed now. Sorry for the confusion.

1/23/18 8:30 a.m.

Somewhere I (should) have my story notes from that car. If I remember correctly, his new upper spring perches were formed from diamond plate. The springs are still stock Fiero, though, so the rates were a little off.

hBiAh2n032kKEvx4sjSvUct7VtICZSoZ