How Long Does It Take?

test

Written by Tim Suddard

From the April 2015 issue

Posted in Columns

I have been building, restoring and racing cars for 40 years-and have put them together at the rate of more than one project a year. So you would think that I have enough experience to make me one of the world's best at estimating exactly how long it takes to restore something. At the very least I should be able to forecast the time needed to rebuild an engine, fabricate a mount to install an aluminum radiator, or install a set of shocks on a Mustang, Miata or Maverick.

Nope. I absolutely suck at estimating the time needed to repair, rebuild or restore something.

Right now I am restoring an old English Ford-based special for our sister magazine, Classic Motorsports. One of the first things I did was to ask my longtime friend and body guy, Tom Prescott, to come G>ver and take a look so he could help me figure out what it was going to take.

Tom was visibly shocked at the deplorable state of the fiberglass body: The terrible body gaps showed the thing had been assembled badly to begin with, and it had then been hit, repaired poorly, and hit again. It was also riddled with mysterious holes. (Why do all the past owners of fiberglass cars seem to have an insane need to drill and drill and drill extra holes all over the damned things?)

Tom shook his head and said, "Man, that's a lot of fiberglass work to get that thing right." I clearly (and painfully) remember scoffing and saying, "It's just fiberglass, what's the big deal? I don't want to have $10,000 in this thing, so I'll just do the glass work myself and bring the body to you for final paint." I knew-KNEW-in my heart that there was just not that much work there.

So my buddy Jere and I dug in and started the job. Both of us are more accustomed to working with metal, so at first we were surprised first by how easy fiberglass is to work with (assuming you can get past the hor­rible dust and itching that this work creates). Our easy feelings changed, however, after we had Blast Masters strip the body. Neither of us suspected how badly dam­aged it all was and how much work was really there.

After two months of work, we finally guaranteed Tom that the body would be at his shop and ready for paint the first week of November, before the SEMA Show.

We were lucky to get it there before Christmas. Why can I not learn? Is it a left brain/right brain thing? I confess I tend to be more artist than math­ematician, and am also a bit of a perfectionist. So time tends to take a back seat to desire.

For instance, rather than just slap a wood or alu­minum dashboard on this project, as had originally been done, I decided to take a couple of Volvo Pl 800 dashboards that I had found at the Import Carlisle meet, and modify them to create a dash that looks like it belongs more in a 300SL Mercedes than a fiberglass special.

The root of my problem, I suspect, is that I get lost when I am in the shop. Apparently I have learned nothing from 40 years of sweating, cutting and bruis­ing myself, never mind the damaged hearing and strained relationships with fellow family members. I still love being out there. Whether I'm designing, cut­ting out and welding a bracket or bead-blasting and painting suspension pieces, the shop is my escape from my hectic life.

This may sound weird, but shop time is like making love: You know it's going to be good, so why would you need to measure and estimate how long it's going to take? Isn't a time limit kind of a mood killer?

I have this luxury because I don't make my living in the shop, at least not directly. For those of you who do, how do you do it? How can you possibly estimate what you will find when you tear down that blown-up engine? How do you determine just how rusty parts are, and how many bolts are going to snap when you replace those differential mounts? And how do those of you with employees figure this out by proxy? How do you learn how fast or good they are at doing these jobs?

My hats are off to the professionals, because I don't know how you do it. If I opened up a race or restora­tion shop, I would be out of business in six months. If you guys have some ideas, tricks or tips for better estimating how long a job will take, let me know. Heck, there might even be a story or two here.

Join Free
Join our community to easily find more Tornado articles.

Reader comments:

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
July 23, 2015 3:37 p.m.

While I have actually measured the number of beers it takes to restore a Healy, ( 1,248)I have not actually documented the number of hours to do the task. From something that I read quite a while back, the number that sticks in my head was that it takes 1000 man-hours to restore a car.

This 1000 hours is for the most part independent of what vehicle we are restoring since all cars have pretty much the same systems that have to be gone over.(body, drivetrain, suspension, interior, Trim) This number was also based on the work being done by the relevant experienced trades with the right tools, and not an amateur figuring out what the hell they were doing.

Of course, concourse quality and high end luxury cars will skew the number as high as you want to go.

I am like you, happy in the shop and in no hurry to get anywhere as long as I have a mechanical challenge in front of me.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
July 23, 2015 4:12 p.m.

The previous girlfriend continually started getting tired of me saying "I'll be there in 3 hours" and then showing up after 4. I finally started giving absurd timelines for things... and actually managed to meet them

At work, we cost everything out and then proceed to double it. Works out perfect every single time.

GTXVette
GTXVette New Reader
July 23, 2015 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Tim, Realistically The Hours In Number are about Double what you want to Spend. When you have a Shop full of help that know Their Job, and each one Knows Their Job And the Stage Before and After that ( so you get Either Feedback or Help) you can give an Estimate of time. Not Many Come in on Budget or time and the less help the longer it Takes. Hard as I try I have Never gotten through early. If you can Afford or can find Genuine Parts it can speed you up but you cannot make budget like that. the Other Day A guy Came by with an Insane 57 chevy Pick up. I felt I could build it for 60 thou. I must have been wrong because he Slammed the Hood Down and Drove off... Oh Well!!

scottdownsouth
July 23, 2015 5:28 p.m.

How long does a project take? Don't ask my wife... I was serious hoping that one of the car shows would pick my project up and finish it for me , but they would most likely screw it up in my eyes. I need help,motivation and a sack of money. Wet or dry.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
July 23, 2015 6:11 p.m.

Beer. Drink enough of it in the shop and you either get stuff done or don't care that you didn't. It's a win either way.

At least you finish projects. I get half way through and sell to finance the next flight of fancy. Sometimes not even that far. It sucks seeing potential in everydamnthing.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
July 23, 2015 6:29 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
July 24, 2015 7:01 a.m.
Type Q wrote: I use the rule of Pi. Take the largest most conservative estimate you can come up with as to how long it will take and how much it will cost and and multiply it by 3.14.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

kb58
kb58 Dork
July 28, 2015 3:33 p.m.

"...You know it's going to be good, so why would you need to measure and estimate how long it's going to take? Isn't a time limit kind of a mood killer?"

Well said. I tell people much the same when they explain how long projects will take. I ask them, if they were planning a backpacking trip, would they have a rigid schedule for where they'll be each day, or just enjoy the journey, stopping to investigate something further if the mood suits them.

You'll need to log in to post.

The Latest

Meet Us at the Rolex 24

2 hours ago in News

We'll be hosting our annual get-together again on the banks of Lake Lloyd.

What Do You Get When You Cross a Modern Honda and a Vintage BMW?

2 days ago in News

Find out in the next issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

2017 Nissan Armada Platinum

3 days ago in New Car Reviews

The Nissan Armada is the brand's largest non-commercial vehicle and is a direct competitor to Chevy's Suburban and Ford's Expedition. ...

Tech Tips: 2015+ Ford Mustang

3 days ago in Articles

How to make it your way.

Speciality Insurance for Our Special M3?

4 days ago in Project Cars

Can you save 15% or more with Hagerty?

First Drive: 2017 Subaru BRZ Performance Package

5 days ago in Articles

We’ve heard it before: The Subaru BRZ doesn’t make enough horsepower.

10 Cars to Buy Now

5 days ago in News

Hagerty recently announced the top 10 classic cars to buy in 2017.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Cone-Killing Camaro

5 days ago in News

This one's a work in progress, but we can't wait to see the finished product.

Get Our Magazine in Print and Digital for just $17.99

5 days ago in News

Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.

Treading on Thick Ice

6 days ago in News

How do you improve your car control in the racing off season?

Strap In

1 week ago in Articles

Is your racing harness installed correctly?

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Inscription

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

Volvo's XC90 is the manufacturer's luxury SUV and this—the T6 Inscription—represents the highest tier of that model. And to triple ...

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More