Get instant digital access.
Subscribe Now!

Sights from the $2016 Challenge

The Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge Driven by General Tire and sponsored by CRC Industries and Miller Electric Welders took over central Florida’s Gainesville Raceway this past weekend seeking the finest and fastest cars that can be built on a budget of just two grand and change. The full recap of the weekend can be found here.

Want to read all about each insane car at this year’s event? You can find it all in an upcoming issue of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe here.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more $2000 Challenge articles.

Comments

View comments on the GRM forums
Stampie
Stampie Dork
10/3/16 2:39 p.m.

I look fat in my grinding picture. Before someone says something yes I'm wearing flip flops and safety glasses.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
10/3/16 2:56 p.m.

so... i need to know more details on this

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
10/3/16 3:05 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

It's even more confusing than you think. Some Subaru suspension pieces, air ride in the rear, Chevy engine, Lincoln mk8 seats... the list goes on but it was definitely a lot of things that weren't ever meant to be in the same vehicle all crammed into an F350 cab.

I walked behind it as it was driving by and was momentarily terrified that a dually rear wheel was about to run over me

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/3/16 3:08 p.m.
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/16 3:10 p.m.

It was a great autocrosser, but slow as crap on the dragstrip. I put a few posts on Instagram and made a sandwich while driving that 1/4 mile....

However, the RX8 was unbelievably consistent.

Car # 53 on the left, car #53 on the right. 2 separate timeslips. 2 identical 1/4 mile times to the thousandth.

Don't worry. That's not skill. Pure unadulterated luck!

driftz28
driftz28 New Reader
10/4/16 9:18 a.m.

So what happened to team Razorback MGB? drag times only 11.9. I thought for sure he would be in the 10.s

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 9:37 a.m.
Stampie wrote: I look fat in my grinding picture. Before someone says something yes I'm wearing flip flops and safety glasses.

Everyone time i see you, I swear you're my doppelganger. It's bizarre. You need more beard thow.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/4/16 9:48 a.m.

In reply to driftz28:

They might be able to get in the 10s, but they destroyed a front control arm bushing in the autocross and didn't spot it until after the drags. That made for some extremely sketchy quarter-mile runs.

Oh and I have video from the MGB on the drag strip both looking forward and at the driver. I haven't watched it yet, but that should be interesting.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/4/16 10:01 a.m.
driftz28 wrote: So what happened to team Razorback MGB? drag times only 11.9. I thought for sure he would be in the 10.s

So few people have ever run 10's, the vast majority of us have no idea what it takes. It's a LOT more than a big motor and a chassis.

Andrew Nelson says the chassis is rated for 8.5, and that Aussie has much more motor than he does. So, it could happen. But there are 100 other factors and details that need to also be accomplished.

Andrew got in his car at the end of the night and said, "This ones gonna be a 10.2". Then he ran a 10.2.

Me, I usually get in the car and say, "I wonder what this car can do??" Razorback is much better than me, but Andrew is accomplishing something that is very difficult. Don't assume it's easy.

Hats off to Razorback! More important than the drags, they also made that beast turn. Fastest combined time of anyone. THAT'S impressive!!

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/4/16 10:23 a.m.

That Opel GT is really nice looking. Lots of great looking vehicles.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
10/4/16 10:29 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I just started to grow it out a month ago. Normally I shave when my Taco Bell stays in it so bad napkins can't help.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/4/16 10:55 a.m.

Any more info on that red #42 with the driver waaaay out front? I'd thought about that for this sort of event but figured thumbing your nose at Death with your feet way out front would be frowned upon. I like the outrageousness of it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 11:02 a.m.
kb58 wrote: Any more info on that red #42 with the driver waaaay out front? I'd thought about that for this sort of event but figured thumbing your nose at Death with your feet way out front would be frowned upon. I like the outrageousness of it.

If its the one I'm thinking od, it used to be a camaro. Had the driveline put out back, and made into a can am car out of plywood.

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo MegaDork
10/4/16 11:04 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I believe the actual quote was "looks like I will only need a 10.20" (poking Andrew)

Quasi Mofo
Quasi Mofo MegaDork
10/4/16 11:11 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

That car was a problem child before we pulled it off the trailer.

When it tried killing people 2 years ago it was only getting about 45% throttle and had the rear suspension preloaded so hard it would launch 90* to the right. A few hours later it was getting NEARLY 100% throttle and would at least pass the tree before it started murdering!

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
10/4/16 12:44 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
driftz28 wrote: So what happened to team Razorback MGB? drag times only 11.9. I thought for sure he would be in the 10.s

So few people have ever run 10's, the vast majority of us have no idea what it takes. It's a LOT more than a big motor and a chassis.

Andrew Nelson says the chassis is rated for 8.5, and that Aussie has much more motor than he does. So, it could happen. But there are 100 other factors and details that need to also be accomplished.

Andrew got in his car at the end of the night and said, "This ones gonna be a 10.2". Then he ran a 10.2.

Me, I usually get in the car and say, "I wonder what this car can do??" Razorback is much better than me, but Andrew is accomplishing something that is very difficult. Don't assume it's easy.

Hats off to Razorback! More important than the drags, they also made that beast turn. Fastest combined time of anyone. THAT'S impressive!!

I'm curious as to the trap speeds. When i came back to the pits and told Andrew of my 12.1 he smiled. Then he asked my trap speed. 122.5.... "You've got 10 second horsepower " he says. Then he told me how to get there. I'm listening.

But yes, it's hard to get there.

Uh77cxQnGvJW0z8Ai6HlQpyzth1zR72W