Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/13 11:27 a.m.

Ok, since we all know my plight with this Corvette, I'll offer it up to my GRM support group for two grand.

1984 Chevrolet Corvette 5.7 V8, Crossfire injection. Automatic. Silver, silver interior. Not gray, the leather seats are silver! There is a small tear along the seam on the driver side outside seat bolster. It's in the picture. The passenger seat isn't ripped or torn at all. Just rolled over 100k miles before the engine started making a disturbing noise. This was right after a full tune-up: Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter, fuel pump and screen, air filter, oil change. The car is clean and solid. The frame looks nice and clean and rust-free. One of the holes where a screw goes to mount the driver side front gill panel is broken so the panel shifts around a little bit. There are some chips on the leading edge of the hood and the passenger side of the front bumper, and there is some fading paint on the passenger side of the rear bumper cover. Painted removable top. All of the bolts and the factory removal tool are present. I bought the car this August. I've always wanted a C4. It ran rough, but drove all right. After the tune-up, it was behaving far, far better. Then it read low low oil pressure. I checked immediately and found it was about a quart and a half low. So I filled it up (we all carry extra oil and coolant in old sports cars, don't we? I do!) and the reading went up to where it should be, but checking the oil later I noticed a slight gray-ish shiney sheen to it. Not long after that, the engine started making some clackety rattley noises and wasn't making the power it made earlier. The AC doesn't work. I was told it was converted to R134a, but the fittings are still R12 fittings. I did not recharge it. The digital dash works correctly. The power windows work correctly. The headlights work correctly and deploy and retract correctly. The remote hatch release on the door and in the console both work correctly. The hatch struts keep the hatch up. The tires are 255/50 BF Goodrich G-Force Sports on all four wheels. The heater fan blows. The temperature slider makes it blow ambient through hot air, in the location requested by the direction slider. (So ventilation works correctly, except that the AC isn't cold.) The factory AM/FM cassette deck works properly. It keeps accurate time. No codes being thrown. 12-12-12 means the computer thinks it's okay.

To answer the first three questions you want to ask: Yes, I still have the car. I will take the ad down the minute I had over the title. Yes, I have a valid, regular, standard, clean, transferrable Illinois title in my name, ready to be signed over. The reason I am selling the car is because my skillset is three wrenches and under in those "101 Projects for Your C4 Corvette" books. Pulling and rebuilding an engine... That is just beyond my skillset and tool inventory, and, frankly, I just don't want to do it. I like to get and experience and play with cars, and then I get bored and move on to something else. It really doesn't make sense for me, in my particular situation, to put all of this work into this particular car when I might keep it for a few months and move on to something else.

And a bunch more pictures: zccrx4sale's 1984 Chevy Corvette album on Photobucket

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/15/13 12:02 p.m.

I am very happy that you are located in IL, otherwise I would be heading to divorce court tomorrow. It's even the right color.

Good luck with the sale. That won't last long on here.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/15/13 12:28 p.m.

low oil, then clackety-rackety? Sounds like a handful of baseball sized rocks in a dryer? Silver sheen? Sounds like bearings...Still, for 2k, a driving, straight, rust free example should not last long. Wish I were in a position to make an offer. Some C4 is up on my list of wants.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
10/15/13 12:41 p.m.

Wondering whether it's a Z51 car. The Service Parts Identification sticker lists all the RPOs and iseither under the console lid or under the passenger side storage bin lid.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/13 12:58 p.m.

I'll look in both of those spots. I THINK it isn't because it has the same size wheels front and rear.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/13 3:12 p.m.

I suppose I should also mention I'll entertain motorcycle, or potentially, other running car trades... :)

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
10/15/13 6:12 p.m.

Which motorcycles would you certainly be entertained by?

I'm in Oak Lawn, and currently have a glut of uncommon bikes.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/13 7:29 p.m.
Cooter wrote: Which motorcycles would you certainly be entertained by? I'm in Oak Lawn, and currently have a glut of uncommon bikes.

I daily ride a Royal Enfield. Define uncommon. ;)

It has to run decently.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/15/13 7:42 p.m.

Any interest in a perfectly fine running Golf Cart???

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
10/15/13 7:45 p.m.

My most common bike would probably be my M900ie. But things like a KTM 620 RXC, 1982 Seca 650, Yamaha XV920r, Honda FT500, Moto Guzzi V50 Monza and a 1984 V65 Sabre with the Hondaline fairing. Not sure I really want to let go of the Italian bikes. The XV is a very cool euro-bike with an enclosed chain. (It's NOT a Virago)

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/13 7:55 p.m.

Oh, man! I LOVE that Guzzi!

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
10/15/13 8:15 p.m.

So does my wife. She never wanted to ride anything but pillion until I picked it up. I just got a 1972 Yamaha G7S for her to learn on before she starts riding the Monza. The Guzzi is more than a little "cramped"for me.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/13 8:50 p.m.

I already have a bike it's hard to get parts for, so the Yamahas are out. Is that KTM off road only?

Don't want to get rid of the Ducati or Guzzi, eh?

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/17/13 1:53 p.m.

My Craigslist ad said just what i put here. I had two guys say, "oh i thought it was running well." I thought i was pretty clear. Oh well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
10/17/13 3:00 p.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: Wondering whether it's a Z51 car. The Service Parts Identification sticker lists all the RPOs and iseither under the console lid or under the passenger side storage bin lid.

Can't be a Z51 car with the automatic.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/17/13 4:47 p.m.
Cooter wrote: My most common bike would probably be my M900ie. But things like a KTM 620 RXC, 1982 Seca 650, Yamaha XV920r, Honda FT500, Moto Guzzi V50 Monza and a 1984 V65 Sabre with the Hondaline fairing. Not sure I really want to let go of the Italian bikes. The XV is a very cool euro-bike with an enclosed chain. (It's NOT a Virago)

If you are still considering swapping a bike for the Vette, I'm still open to it. :) I'd put up some cash on my end if it turns out you would do the Monster. I like the Ascot, too, but with some cash. The KTM interests me if it is still road legal, but i do shy away from kick start only bikes after what a pain my XL600R has been. And i totally get not wanting to part with the Monza, but that's my favorite one ;)

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
10/17/13 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Depends on model year. For 1984: RPO Z51 = 25,995; RPO MM4 (manual trans) = 6,443.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/20/13 2:09 p.m.

Remembered to get my codes:

AG9 - Power Driver Seat A42 - 6 way power seat A51 - Bucket seats BGR - Built at Bowling Green B16 - Special option package processing C49 - Defogger DL8 - MIRROR, O/S LH & RH REM CONT, ELEC, DEFOG D3X - GEAR, SPEEDO DRIVEN D98 - STRIPE, ACCENT F5Z HE3 - AXLE REAR, 3.07 RATIO, 3500 LBS, SINGLE SPEED K34 - Cruise Control K61 - GENERATOR, 97 AMP L33 - ? 409 CID V8 340HP ( LOW PERFORMANCE-HYDRAULIC CAM) MD8 - TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, THM 700 R4 MX0 - MERCHANDISED, TRANS, AUTO PROVISIONS, O/D NA5 - EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER O NB1 - EMISSION SYSTEM, CLOSED LOOP QZD - P255/50VR16 TIRES/16” WHEELS UO4 - Horn, US UU8 - Stereo System, Delco-Bose V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT, USA/CANADA Z6A - Rear Window+Side Mirror Defogger's 1AZ - Modification stock order or order sold 151 - Int Silver 152 - Int Silver 16L - Ext Gray 16U - Ext Gray

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/20/13 4:29 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: My Craigslist ad said just what i put here. I had two guys say, "oh i thought it was running well." I thought i was pretty clear. Oh well.

Hence why I haven't posted my E30 on Craigslist... it may be free, but judging by the aggravation I went through selling my Cummins, it's just not worth it to me.

Good luck.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/13 6:10 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: Remembered to get my codes: ... L33 - ? 409 CID V8 340HP ( LOW PERFORMANCE-HYDRAULIC CAM) ...

It had a 409 as an original option?

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/21/13 7:44 a.m.

No, hence the ?. i thought L33 was the cross fire 350. But the rpo list says that. Forgot to take that out before i pasted it here.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/21/13 8:35 a.m.

GM re-uses engine RPO's all the time.

For instance, the LT1 has been used at least 3 times before:

-The late 60's/early 70's high revving 350 that came in Vettes and Z28's

-The Gen II Corvette/F-body/B-Body 350

-The new Corvette motor

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/22/13 6:35 p.m.

Sold.