1 ... 3 4 5
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/18/24 6:38 p.m.

AWESOME progress.

And this is where I start to enjoy where you go down a different path of "what might have been. " .

I really like that you are going with wheel-opening mods. A lot of thoughts happened when I was doing this, but the mantra was always " No body mods".  

Really looking forward to progress from this point on.

Piguin
Piguin Reader
2/19/24 6:03 a.m.

Amazing work. 

senginc
senginc New Reader
2/24/24 9:10 a.m.

More progress. Still using 18 ga on most of the inner fenders and firewall.

I slanted the firewall towards the outside to allow for some sort of hood latch mount. Probably just simple SS hood pin style latches (not much to fail with them).  I left a large opening where I will route the wiper transmission cable tube though a removable steel plat with a rubber grommet. This is the wiper kit I am using (I also used this on 46 Packard 15 yrs ago).  https://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/power-windshield-wiper-kits

I did use 16 ga for about 6" above the shock tower. The black smudge marks are where traces of seam sealer caught fire from welding.

Right side will house the Miata fuse box  assembly.  I think I will drill a couple of 3/8" drain holes in the recessed area.

Cowl drain from Miata.  I sized the  inner fender to clear 195/65R15 tires at full lock and shock fully collapsed.

I have to replace the top of the inner fender braces where the fenders weld since they are crusty/ rusty and then i can move to the rear of the car to finish the splices.

senginc
senginc New Reader
3/14/24 7:49 p.m.

Lots of progress recently.

Volvo ground clearance of 4" at crossmember with Miata 195R50-15 tire at approximate ride height. I will be using 195R65-15 which will raise the ground clearance ~ 1.2" to 5.2" which is streetable.  I am using 3/8" all thread rod set to mid-stroke of the shock travel to set the level

I made my first cuts on the rear wheel wells so I could get my rear tires on.

The car had the original red paint and one repaint in bronze. I stripped the top layer with 36 grit on a 7" wheel. Then used Stripping Wheel for Angle Grinder 4-1/2" x 7/8" from Amazon, they really worked fast, strips the paint with no metal loss.
Tight areas were stripped with a coarse 4 1/2" wire wheel. 

Due to a large amount of bare metal areas with surface rust I will lightly blast the whole body.

I will construct the perimeter of the new wheel openings and the exterior rockers and fender bottom and rear quater panel bottoms with 18 ga steel tubing (maybe 1/2" EMT conduit) then blend to the body with multiple 20 ga panels made with a shot bag and hammer and a little English wheel work .  I have found if you fill the tube with sand and crimp the ends you can bend without distorting the radius of the tubing and not cause crimps

Miata trunk floor waiting to be spliced to the Volvo.

The Miata dash rough fit to the Volvo (new side brackets are welded in). The ragged edge of the dash and the ends will be made from fiberglass and resin and polyester body filler. I will close the Air Bag hole with multiple layers of fiberglass and resin. I plan on slicking the dash out with polyester body filler and sand smooth to make the dash look like steel.

My friend with a lathe made a steering column extension that I will weld in place (a lot safer to me than a Borgeson type joint/ coupler with the mickey mouse 1/4" set screws).  I cut the shaft and inserted the extension which is machined to slip through the Delrin bushing in the firewall rubber seal.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/24 8:16 p.m.

Trying to figure out where your dash defrost vents went? 

Also have you decided to leave the fuel tank in the Miata location or are you going to move it? My original plan to extend the Miata at the rear was to harvest a trunk section out of another Miata, flip it around and weld it to the one in the car giving me a longer spare wheel-well. But not enough room for a fuel tank  anywhere. and no room for muffler.

The wiper kit you bought is the exact one I bought. I run it off the Miata stalk control but had to reverse the polarity of the speed signal from the stalk. That may or may not have been a Canadian car thing.  I also had to modify the drive  wiper cable drive box as it was poorly designed and flimsy.

senginc
senginc New Reader
3/15/24 9:31 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Re: Trying to figure out where your dash defrost vents went?

Maybe the Miata NB is slightly different shape than NA ( I think it is different because I had to trim the width about 1/2" at the A pillars).  Also since my floor is raised from yours to lower the car and the Volvo cowl/ firewall is sloped forward the windshield opening intrudes on the dash. I also rolled the dash so that the front is a little lower on the front (or my dash would have been above the windshield opening).

Is the wiper kit you bought the exact same brand from Specialty Power Windows ? There are copies of that design that are flimsy (I know because I bought a cheap copy 15 years ago that wouldn't work properly and changed to the Specialty Power Windows brand).

I am going to use the Miata tank and parts of the filler neck (the filler neck is too tall for the Volvo).
I am using a Bayonet Filler Neck 2.28 O.D. (for older GM style vented caps). I will use JB Weld to adapt the filler to the neck. My 1964 P1800S has the gas filler on the left rear corner next to the fin. To gain vertical height I am relocating the fuel filler compartment and door forward to the top edge of the trunk lid like the Miata filler is to elevate the neck about 2". This is necessary because the Miata tank sits much higher than the Volvo trunk mounted tank.

I am eliminating the fuel vapor recovery system (like the Volvo was) and will vent to atmosphere using the Miata filter on the end of the vent tube to keep critters and dust out.

senginc
senginc New Reader
3/15/24 9:44 a.m.

I did some of the paint stripping in tight places and around the fins with a 4 1/2" wire wheel. This is what happens when your arms get tired and you relax. frown

Last time this happened I was 45 years ago when I was 30 yrs old running a heavy 7" grinder with a cup style wire wheel - ouch, it still hurts to think about it.

I lucked out on the injury.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/15/24 11:00 a.m.

There is not a time I grab a grinder tool that I don't put one of these images in my mind. Makes me hang on just that much tighter.  

Project is coming along great.

Pete

senginc
senginc New Reader
3/16/24 10:49 a.m.

These are close to the stance I'm trying to achieve.

Because of the Miata wider track the fenders will have to be flared though Something like this.

Hopefully not to this extreme.

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
3/16/24 6:55 p.m.

I like the second pic!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/16/24 9:54 p.m.

Third pic for me. Stance and wheel/tire fitment is just nailed on it.

What part of the deep south are you in, seginc? 

senginc
senginc New Reader
3/17/24 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Birmingham, AL

senginc
senginc New Reader
3/26/24 8:47 p.m.

Getting ready for 2 coats of epoxy primer today - some nice metal under all the ugliness. I don't normally paint on the lift side of the shop but I needed to paint some underneath

I use https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-swsp312g-12 which like all Summit Racing Paints is made by Kirker Automotive.  You can buy Kirker branded products or the identical Summit branded product usually cheaper from Summit Racing. I have been using their full line of products for more than 15 years with no failures of any kind. Top coats whether single stage or base coat only come in a limited number of factory mixed colors. I save at least 50 % on my total paint costs.

The roof and a few other areas had significant surface rust damage where the old paint had lost adhesion. Some body filler knifed in and then some high build polyester primer will take care of that.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
3/27/24 3:19 p.m.

Wow, this is looking beautiful. Nice work

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/27/24 3:58 p.m.

I tried the low stance and it was too much for me. 

Funny I should post this pic today as I am waiting in the shop for someone to come adopt the wheels shown.

senginc
senginc New Reader
4/7/24 8:24 p.m.

Polyester primer over epoxy primer after thoroughly cleaning with Prepsall , polyester primer only on exterior metal to make my first guide coat sanding with 80 grit.

Moved the gas filler compartment from rear edge of rear fender forward to accommodate the Miata fuel tank position.

Miata OEM fuel tank location eats up Volvo back seat space. I will not have any evaporative emissions equipment (some parts and hoses still showing in the pic) and I will plug the rollover valve.  I am modifying the Miata fuel filler neck for a 60s/ 70s GM style vented cap.  I will leave the plastic check valve in the Miata filler neck to minimize the slosh back of fuel into the neck.

Since I turn 75 soon I think I will paint under the hood with black epoxy instead of body color to limit the number of times the engine and trans have to go in and out.
Notice the major crossmember cut to be able to roll the rack and pinion enough to clear the Miata OEM A/C compressor. I will smooth out the surgery on the crossmember with a little body filler then epoxy prime over the filler. I will use brushable seam sealer just like the factory on most of the other weld seams.

Trunk floor needs done. the mild fender flares (about 1.5") will be a challenge.  I hope that my theoretical ride height calculations are right so the wheel openings won't be too high (ugh) or too low (ouch) but just right laugh.

I metal worked the tail panel wrinkles out decent enough for a body filler skim coat.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/7/24 8:58 p.m.

Good progress. Hope I am still doing this stuff when I am 75.

A good way to finish the trunk would be to find another donor miata and harvest the last foot of the trunk  and frame section and flip it around to match the end of what you already have.

Pete

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7GTQKiJyWwccKFNtH5hz9E2VV1GfyF0IPjqZidizq6PxaaQ4JsBwsvFtIQjXIU5W