1 ... 4 5 6
759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
8/8/19 8:53 p.m.

wait for it .......winner winner chicken dinner!!! you soon will be up everybodys' arse with this...congrats!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/19/19 9:20 p.m.

Wutt is UP Y'all!!!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
11/20/19 11:54 a.m.

Ascutney 2 went fairly well, I managed to bring home a complete car that was mostly not broken.  On Saturday morning the car was running spectacularly for the first run.  Tons of boost/ power etc.  Then the car started acting strange.  Under anything but full (20 in) of vacuum the engine was breaking up.  It would still build some boost but it wasn't "coming on" like it should.  I applied various fixes throughout the weekend but to no avail.  Below is my best run on Sunday, the microphone clips fairly badly so you cant really tell how horribly its running.  Stick around at the end of the run to see Paul (Superchicken) and I talk about random crap.

Since Ascutney I have been trying to narrow down my issue.  I have changed and swapped around coils, and installed brand new plugs just for good measure.  At this point I do not think that this is an ignition problem.  One thing I DID notice was that it seemed my mechanical boost gage and my data logging did not agree.  My hunch is that the MAP sensor (Cheap off ebay) has an internal leak that shows up one boost comes on.  The implication is that it would have been running crummy due to being super lean. OOPS!!! Ohh well, the engine has ~400k miles on it so if it dies it dies.  I ordered a new, quality, MAP sensor from DIYautotune.  Once I get a chance to install it Im sure there will be too much snow to take laps around the yard.  I guess ill just have to wait until the lake freezeswink

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
11/21/19 7:44 a.m.

From my point of view your Ascutney was a great success.  Since I did bring home a broken car and I didn't even get a full run in.  :-)  To quote my favorite book when I was a child Some days are like that even in Australia.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/16/19 10:26 a.m.

Wiring upgrade for the Chicken.  It has 4 fuel pumps, I've been using just two through a single 30a relay. I hooked up a third for troubleshooting purposes and the pump wire out of the back of the relay started to let out its magic smoke. Not good.  I'm currently adding a second 30a relay in parallel to help handle the load.  It's all protected by a 40a CB, but this should help the wiring survive. 

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
12/16/19 12:12 p.m.

So this isn't a picture of a bomb?   Don't cut the red wire!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/16/19 12:46 p.m.

It's the control circuit for a 2.7l bomb

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
12/16/19 1:52 p.m.
Challenger392 said:

It's the control circuit for a 2.7l bomb

In this case if done correctly it doesn't blow up!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/18/19 7:23 a.m.

Another interesting thing from Ascutney.  I felt as though i was pushing the tires to their limit.  I guess they would agree.  Small chunks started de-bonding by the end of the weekend.  Its not terrible surprising since they are at least 5 years old, and well past their prime.  Cant wait to see what the car will do on the new set of tires I have. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/28/19 5:47 a.m.

So I guess im taking the (rather expensive) plunge........

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/28/19 6:43 a.m.

As you can see from the picture above, I am taking the plunge to compete in the 2020 Climb to the Clouds (Mt. Washington Hillclimb).  For those of you who do not know about this event, below is the video from the title sponsor (Subaru of America), If you see a white "Modified" that is me in my other race car which can be found here ---> Howe Mod heavy.   If you look through that thread you will find the in car video from my best run in 2017.  I'm super excited to be able to run again this year.  It's probably going to eat up my whole seasons worth of racing budget for the one event, but I guess if you want to play you gotta pay.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cRUU2jNmvYi8rJ00CYxI8KbxxPw1hqnRH3OEVKEJc6Zx4oUoZUbczXELWxTnod1N