I think it's time.

Its not great.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/23 12:25 p.m.

preach
7/13/23 12:28 p.m.

floor is toast. Panel gaps are fantastic. Longs weld repair is suspect but who knows.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
7/13/23 1:06 p.m.

oh baby, excited to see what you do with it

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/13/23 1:06 p.m.

I bought newly stamped floor pans  (2 pieces) from Tweeks.  Think they're out of business now.  Poke around 914 World too.

preach
7/13/23 1:20 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

preach there too.

metal is first.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
7/13/23 1:48 p.m.

Well, looks like you've had a minute to think about next steps.  devil    What's the plan after floors and other metal work?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/23 3:52 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Well, looks like you've had a minute to think about next steps.  devil    What's the plan after floors and other metal work?

i noticed that as well.  glad to know we're gonna get some 914 content!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/23 5:19 p.m.

What is the powertrain going to be?  (Go ahead, someone say it...) 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/13/23 5:21 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Rotary?

preach
7/13/23 5:31 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:
Noddaz said:

Rotary?

Flat 4 initially. Dreams of a 230slk kompressor until it blows. AC 6 if I wil the lottery.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
7/13/23 7:24 p.m.

Perhaps a flat WRX subie 4? pariahish ya think

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/23 2:00 a.m.

Could do a Corvair engine if you wanted an air-cooled flat six without all the hassles of winning the lottery. 

How's the hell hole?

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/14/23 10:36 a.m.

I'd do a Chevy V8, but that's just me (grin).

You also get a song: "Pariah" - Black Sabbath

preach
7/14/23 12:04 p.m.

Grabbing a bite to eat then heading out to the shop. Figure I will give the background of this.

As you can see I bought this 11 years ago. It fell in my lap. The guy wanted $2500 for it when I looked at it and I passed as I had too much going on. A few days later he called back and said I know so much about the car and he was losing his storage so he offered me the car for what he had into it. $700 but I had to pick it up in 4 days. I said I'd be there with a trailer.

So it moved around my little yard for a while and finally ended up in The Toilet and has clogged it since.

The day it came home:

Not great. Not bad.

I travel a ton for work, like 9/12 months, for the last 10+ years so I have chipped away at this. Lots of wire wheel work so far.

preach
7/14/23 12:07 p.m.

Sweat and rust dust...

preach
7/14/23 12:11 p.m.

More:

preach
7/14/23 3:38 p.m.

Took a bit and I forgot how to weld. Never was good at sheet metal anyway but we have flap discs. A hole became ugly metal with a smaller hole under the big one.

the cutting set up:

preach
7/14/23 3:56 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

How's the hell hole?

Repaired but ??? I did not do it so?

preach
7/14/23 5:08 p.m.

Another old dump and that's it for the old pics:

Hooked a charger up to the battery lines and stuff happened but stuff went bad and stuff did not work.

Engine turns over with a wrench but the starter doesn't.

The ongoing pics will be fresher. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/23 5:52 p.m.
preach said:

Repaired but ??? I did not do it so?

Ah. Well. That complicates things. Obviously you want to make sure it's right, but then you also don't want to undo what could be perfectly good work.

The fringe at the bottom of the rear passenger bulkhead is familiar. I got to work on a '73 914 that had the same problem, probably for the same reason (rear window seal dried up and couldn't keep the water out). That was my first real exposure to 914s and I developed a little soft spot for them through the course of that project.

preach
7/15/23 8:06 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Yeah. I really am just looking for a runner/driver instead of a full restore, but it's hard tying into someone else's repairs. I will pop the engine cover today and get a pic of the hell hole. Much like the rest of the car it's not great.

I will be leaving the black for now and the wire wheeled areas will just be clear coated. 

Leper Pariah. Haha.

preach
7/15/23 9:02 a.m.

Now maybe some background on me and 914s. 

I grew up with a split window Corvette and in the summer I would push a broom at my father's shop. I pulled apart my first engine, a Chevy v8, at 7 or 8 years old. It was junk and kept me busy and out of my dad's hair while he worked. I learned what every part was and did for that motor. Eventually, my dad hired a aircooled VW guy and I fell in love with the funky little things. I was lucky enough to be able to help that mechanic with his 356 Speedster and fell in love with Porsches. I will be 53 next month and I have owned around 30 VWs of various badges. Fleet of 7 currently consists of 4 VWs, '74 914, '85 Westfalia, '07 Cayman S, '12 Golf R.

Somewhere in my early VW love I found out about the Sonauto #40 Le Mans class winning 914/6. 1st in class and 6th (I think) overall in 1970 (the year I was born). I was smitten! Sure 356s and 911s and whatever but man, that ugly square berkeleyer with the engine in the correct place sure does do it for me. 914 is also the reason I own a Cayman. 

A 914 is Miata sized if you don't know. Look at the 917 next to one. A 917 must have been a MONSTER.

I have a 914 hood that will go on the shop wall and will have the livery of that 914/6 in the picture.

In case you care the Sonauto #40 car is in fantastic hands: Sonauto #40 

Damn I love that car.

E36 M3ty pic but an ad from 1970:

914/6s are still dominating. Here is a vid from the 2019 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix where 914/6s have taken first place for the last many years in the 2l class.

Gods that aircooled 6 sound...

I have owned this car for 11 years thinking it could be my first restoration when I retire in 2030 but I decided that it not only needs to move so I can use my shop but I really want to drive it. A few years ago I was in California, as usual, and I hooked up with some of the guys from 914World and went for a drive up into the mountains of San Diego County. I got my first drive in a 914, a 1974 2.0. Bish I was Willy Wonka:

There was no wiping that smile off my face.

Welcome to preach's world.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/15/23 9:54 a.m.

Honest engine idea- the subaru flat 6 from like the Tribecas. NO idea how'd you figure the cooling tho.

What's your plan? Track rat? 

preach
7/15/23 10:56 a.m.

Staying true to my roots so it will be air cooled. I will run the 1.8l probably carbed and with a blow through super charger until the engine decides to leave the game, then build another air cooled motor for it. No interest in putting a radiator in it. If I did it would probably be a Honda K-turbo swap but I really like to be alive.

Plan is to drive it. I just want the targa top off and the visceral sound of a hopped up VW behind me.

I have My Opel that will be the big money hot rod. The Cayman S and the Golf R help control an over build too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Kow0Od7fikL6F8AZUObZwavWU4fBMlLBcBYiKBJNy2rdxUfw01NkZp7GiedmHrB