1 2 3
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/31/20 12:03 p.m.

My experience was pretty close to sink or swim.  Thankfully I had run HPDEs at the track already to learn the line and breaking points, and I had some karting experience so I was familiar with driving two and three wide into brake zones and through corners.  If you haven't done any track driving or racing at all you will find yourself over your skiis.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
8/31/20 12:05 p.m.

It is really more up to the team's to decide if you have enough experience.

I would suggest going to a race and checking it all out and get to know a local team.  Spend some time helping them prep the car and you will usually get a chance at some seat time.

I don't know how much lemons cost these days, but champcar is anywhere from 1k for 4 hours of seat time in a midpack car to 2k for that same 4 hours in a front runner.

You will need suit, helmet, Hans, gloves, shoes, coolshirt.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/31/20 12:29 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the breakdown. The cost of PPE seems like the biggest obstacle if $$ really matters.

Pete

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/31/20 12:44 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

i got a pretty cost-effective setup from a GRM advertiser (back in 2012, no magazine handy to see if they still advertise).  if you're OK with separate long-johns vs a 3-layer suit, that knocks the price down a good bit.  IIRC it was under $400 for long johns, suit, socks, shoes, gloves, and balaclava. add helmet ($300-ish IIRC, got a freebie from work because i was a vehicle test engineer at the time) and HANS (i borrowed one) and cool-suit and/or camelbak.  but those are one-time costs.  race more and they become cheaper per use.  :-)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
8/31/20 12:55 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the breakdown. The cost of PPE seems like the biggest obstacle if $$ really matters.

Pete

There are places that will rent you all the gear you need as well.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/1/20 9:21 p.m.

http://www.racesuitrental.com has been used by several people I know with good results/  

Raceimage.com also has good quality used suits.  

ILHWEJD20
ILHWEJD20 New Spammer
10/7/20 5:25 p.m.
icaneat50eggs said:

To me this is like saying, congrats , you've won a date with your favorite supermodel. However, your only going to get to second base.

Is it as much fun as you could possibly have? No

Does it beat the heck out of sitting around bored? Hell yes

Is it likely to leave you wanting the ENTIRE experience? Most definitely.

some teams just have more mechanics than drivers. Lots of people do it

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) HalfDork
10/7/20 5:45 p.m.

Canoe with enough class to quote a good supermodel analogy

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
KxUwSr8s9VwOeFTqRwv8LISjPI0uPJdfhaCrsxOkDGHj4mrdiahuloLkQaJBNzCL