interested
interested New Reader
9/6/13 4:20 p.m.

I have never seen one like this before. Shaved handles, de-bumpered and attempts at adding lightness evidently. Windows and roof gone. Seems overpriced. Was is an aborted racing attempt? Who does this to these cars and why?

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/4029785675.html

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
9/6/13 4:39 p.m.

The paint scheme makes me think "tractor". I kinda like that.

interested
interested New Reader
9/6/13 4:43 p.m.

The paint job does scream Krylon to me. Or Earl Scheib after a three day bender.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
9/6/13 5:00 p.m.

If it is rust-free and runs good there is certainly some value to it, but nothing in particular that the current owner did to it increases the value. Not crazy about the half-hearted attempt to get rid of the square arches, but otherwise most of that could be reversed.

I'm pretty sure that $4,500 will buy a nice but not show-winning 70's Midget that's all original.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/6/13 5:23 p.m.

I've seen better for less, in Michigan.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
9/6/13 5:36 p.m.

It's a pretty cool $2,500 car. At $4,500 - not as much. hate the rear arch flare thingies. Dash just looks bad. I don't mind the windows, top and handles being gone.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
9/6/13 8:41 p.m.

Looks like a bodge to me. Worth about half the asking price. It's also not "restored". The last one I built was actually restored (to as new) and the total investment was less than $5000. That said, I have five Spridgets and I would drive that once the dash was replaced and the engine de-riced.

When I was young and in college my DD was a '73. I de-bumpered it and did a few other minor mods. Lots of fun to drive quickly, though quite slow.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/6/13 9:14 p.m.

It reminds me of a home made cafe racer, cool from far away but as up look closer it gets scarier and scarier. I agree with oldtin cool for 2,500 but for 4,500 ehh

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/6/13 9:33 p.m.

I've seen better for less too... but that is still one sexy little minx. I'd be sweating a little and looking too eager if I thought I could pick it up for $2k.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/6/13 10:33 p.m.

Thought I saw this before. Repost. See link! Previous Midget link

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/6/13 11:51 p.m.

I don't know why, but I really like it! The rear wheel arch/flare things are weird, but the fat little steel wheels really do it for me. Looks like it'd be fun to drive, but I wouldn't spend that money on it.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
9/7/13 12:17 a.m.

Are those Chevrolet Monza wheels?

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
9/7/13 7:18 a.m.

If it's your cup of tea, you could not replicate it for that much, so not a bad deal. If original has value to you, then this is not the car.

Any rust free shell is worth something to someone. Trust me, there are people spending a LOT of money to rehab their rustbucket MG shells into something nice enough to pour more money into.

interested
interested New Reader
9/8/13 8:55 a.m.

Doesn't it look more like an Austin Healey Sprite MkII? Did many MG owners slap aftermarket panels on them to make them Sprites in appearance?

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
9/8/13 1:39 p.m.

It has MkIII Midget doors, dash remains, under-hood parts, and three wipers; looks like a 1275 Midget. There are basically three variations: Bugeye, Bugeye middle/Square Body front and rear, then fixed folding top frame and windup window doors. They correspond to different Mks for Sprites and Midgets. With the shaved door handles, the car does sorta look like a MkII Sprite or MkI Midget, but everything suggests MkIII.

You could easily replicate the car for half the price.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/13 2:09 p.m.

I like it. I would drive that. The fenders are not my favorite thing but not a deal braker. However it is not a 4.5K car.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/8/13 3:00 p.m.

I've got a '69 Midget. That isn't a $4500 car in my mind. I'd echo the $2500 sentiment- it ain't restored, unless they just mean rust removal (which could eat that $4500 pretty quick). I like the plain look, but don't like the rear arches, the dash, the cheesedick seats, and nothing else is particularly special about it. Again, if the body is truly straight and rust free, it could be a pretty good start to a fun cruiser, but still not a $4500 car in my mind.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/8/13 8:40 p.m.

I've got a '63 Midget MK I. Echo not $4500, it isn't restored. Door windows and wing vents removed to look like a MK I, Seats are copies of MK I seats, dash is a fiberglass replacement more often used on race cars to lighten weight, heater removed and still has generator instead of alternator. Top removed so it again looks like a MK I and all badges and handles removed & filled, which makes the doors like a MK I again. MG didn't paint the engine yellow but that is personal preference. As for the wheels, not MG. Too wide. Which also explains the rear flares, '70 has square wheel arches and those wider wheels won't fit unless flared or rounded like the 72/73 RWA Midgets.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Sm2fmXB7N6wQhtVAoG367n7QhVWNPVntovpdo2YaL7hGgL1PSBB8eH4ky56XKPp