ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/5/15 3:27 p.m.

I'd like to include as many models as possible in my search and with me and Volvos, the earlier the better to an extent.

Thanks guys!

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
1/5/15 3:40 p.m.

Google sez 1986

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/5/15 3:54 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: Google sez 1986

Wiki corroborates that, but I can't find which model/trim, however cursory google image searching doesn't support that claim, at least not across the line-up, might have been a trim level/option that got it. I know the 900 series and newer had them, but I can't recall seeing them in 200 or 700 series, though I've never really been looking for shoulder belts either. My '76 242 doesn't have them, my '95 850, of course does.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/5/15 4:01 p.m.

Even '95 is pretty darned early. Consider that they weren't mandated until 2008!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/5/15 4:10 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Even '95 is pretty darned early. Consider that they weren't mandated until 2008!

850s all got them (sedans for sure) and they've been around in the states since ~'93, 95% sure that all 940/960s got them too, and they've been around since '90.

I wouldn't be surprised that late mode 200/700 cars got them too.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/5/15 4:26 p.m.

I may have to look again, but I think my 1994 850 wagon has a third shoulder belt that goes w/ the built-in car seat. But likes Lee's, thats pretty late in the game. Which model and body style of volvo are you considering?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/15 4:47 p.m.

My 94 945 has the 3rd belt (and built in booster seat). My 90 745 has no 3rd belt and an armrest instead of the booster.

But the 90 does have the third row seat which is cooler.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/5/15 5:02 p.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

Well, consider that I love all of them. Soft spot for 200's, but 7-8-9 are up there too, wagon and sedan. I wouldn't turn away from a V70 either!

I think my ultimate choice considering family needs would be any RWD wagon with three rear shoulder belts. Next up, I'd have to go FWD...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/15 5:02 p.m.

They made more than one car in 1986?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/5/15 5:17 p.m.

None of my volvo wagons have had a center rear seat with a shoulder harness. Thats up through an 02 v70.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
1/5/15 7:57 p.m.

My '87 740 turbo did NOT have them, but my '93 940 turbo did. I suspect the 940 line brought the 3rd shoulder belt. My 940 also had a child booster seat when the center was folded down. Not sure if it was an option, or standard. Both cars were sedans.

Looking on Ebay at some cars... a 1991 740 does not have the center shoulder belt.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/6/15 8:56 a.m.

Just to ask the question...... is there a reason why this vehicle has to be a volvo and not a newer minivan or something? I miss dd'ing my volvo, but after a time the maint needs of a 20+ yr old vehicle starting eating up time that was scarce already. Not to mention, the minivan had alot more room for the size and mpg loss that I took.

Dont get me wrong, I want another volvo and have actually been looking for one but I was thinking about your post on the way into work and was curious.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/6/15 9:34 a.m.

Strangely enough, I had an economy car in the 80's that had it. My '88 Chevy Nova had a shoulder belt for the middle seat. It was a detachable piece, it basically hooked into the lap belt buckle for those who wanted to use it. It wasn't retractable, just had a slider to adjust the length.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/6/15 9:55 a.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

Well, that's a great question and one I ask myself too often!

First, it's a definate that I'll have three kids and a wife and now a dog in my vehicle. The catch I guess is that it's pretty rare, like once or twice per month but it does happen.

Second, I have a long, winding, commute with very few cars sharing these roads. I'd really like to enjoy my drive home while being able to haul the family when it happens.

The car doesn't have to have great driving dynamics, I just have to like it (and if it will look good with the rally treatment, all the better!).

My wife drives a Grand Caravan so I know how utilitarian it can be and Ive been thinking about sucking it up and getting my own but I have no "fun" car and won't for quite a whole so that has me worried that I'll hate my commute.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/6/15 10:06 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: My wife drives a Grand Caravan so I know how utilitarian it can be and Ive been thinking about sucking it up and getting my own but I have no "fun" car and won't for quite a whole so that has me worried that I'll hate my commute.

Friend sent me this when I had to buy our first family car.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/6/15 10:28 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Never seen a Dodge Caravan fly...

Seems like you get my situation!

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/6/15 11:27 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory: Ok. I understand. I'm in a similar position. I have 4kids( no dog yet ), and daily commute that is at best 90miles of boring. My solution was to drive our old accord until we can buy a second minivan this year. This has given me more incentive to get my gti running( or find a replacement project car / daily driver).

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/6/15 5:21 p.m.

Two things.... 1) This is for sale locally. Sounds like they will take less than the $1500. Price is ok, but not amazing. Stay with me though......

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4823058787.html

2) One of these pics is of the back seat area. It looks like there are three places to buckle a seat belt. I would be surprised if the middle belt was only a lap belt.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/6/15 8:06 p.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

I'd be surprised as well. Google Images agrees with you.

I sometimes think a hatchback might work as well. Possibly a Focus ZX5 or similar. I don't need tons of room as whatever trips we will be together will be short.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XGrmoTBIyjHS7utTVKxESxByD36v6y8xI1Kl2oaWdE8XFsfRYCyPxvQ8VLUPc5RI