gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/1/24 10:57 p.m.

When my girlfriend went to start her car today it just clicked and nothing. was able to jump it after messing around with it a while, but after it was shut off it won't start again, no power, no dome light, no nothing. battery is brand new and reads 13v. battery terminals were a bit loose so I put on some shims and tightened them down. After that the interior lights turned on for a bit until i tried to start it then they went off and won't come on again. I've tested the fuses on the positive terminal of the battery and a few of the fuses on the panel i thought could cause an issue, they were all good. The symptoms point to a bad connection to the battery but it seems solid when i check it now.  the car was working fine for the last month since we got it. any ideas? Looking for some things to try tomorrow when it isn't quite so dark and cold

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/24 12:37 a.m.

Yeah, it really sounds like you've got a bad connection to the battery.   Wiggle the cables and you'll get a good enough connection to allow low amperage stuff to work (lights, etc.), try to start it and the current draw will break the connection. 

Could also be the other side, the main battery ground?

I'd pull the connections and lightly scuff/sand every to make sure there isn't junk/scratches/gouges on the mating surfaces.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/24 8:28 a.m.

Rechecked everything now that it's light outside, ended up being where the main battery ground attached to the chassis. It visually looked fine, but when I sanded the berkeley outta it it started working. Weird how it's been fine for a while and just chose last night to start not working entirely

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/24 8:43 a.m.

Cue the link for GRM electrical troubleshooting video.  devil

In reply to gixxeropa :

If you continue to have trouble with it draining the battery, here's a test: when you lock it with the key does the horn honk? If not, the latch for the hatch might be the culprit. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S2N6bgmahQc08iBSfdytZwF43qCUeAt5oUVi5gWs4WY1DSwEmLFwMNjLmTYCBhbt