1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/4/14 3:43 p.m.

Looks like some of you are kicking some arse (I just looked at the live results). Only 3 runs today? How's the course?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/4/14 4:18 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Looks like some of you are kicking some arse (I just looked at the live results). Only 3 runs today? How's the course?

Link to results: http://rallylive.scca.com/
Looks like Evan is in 2nd for MR!!!!
Looks that Jerry is having his hat handed to him in SA but I would still rather be him, doing it, rather than myself here at home writing about it. Continue to fight Jerry!

Wow, there is a Plymouth Arrow competing in MR sitting 7th. How cool, a Plymouth Arrow. This guy's a winner!

cghstang
cghstang Dork
10/4/14 4:27 p.m.

Did someone say 'Roll' call? From what I gather, the count is up to two.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/4/14 5:36 p.m.

Is the guy in front in MR co-driving with Pete (as the number would suggest)?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/4/14 5:36 p.m.
cghstang wrote: Did someone say 'Roll' call? From what I gather, the count is up to two.

three...Evan, Pete, and Jerry?

wae
wae HalfDork
10/4/14 5:46 p.m.

The course is E36 M3. It's rutting badly and when the safety stewards try to stop the action to try to correct it, there's nothing but complaints -as though the rollover risk is diminished because we're running way over on time... Glad I came for the experience, but I much prefer our regionals.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/4/14 5:58 p.m.
wae wrote: Glad I came for the experience, but I much prefer our regionals.

Sorry for you guys, though it makes me not feel bad about not going now. The fact that GLDiv guys are doing well in MR there says to me that GLDiv National Challenge was probably at the same level of competition anyhow, at least in that class, which is pretty cool.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
10/4/14 6:02 p.m.

In reply to irish44j: Yes, Will is driving Pete's car. He drove it to 1st in MR in 2012 as well.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/14 9:49 p.m.

I would be so close to Will if I hadn't hit that cone. today ran so long mod is taking their "afternoon" runs tomorrow morning since it was getting dark. miata developed a nasty lifter tick but it is still running and I'm not letting up unless it blows.

I'm just happy my last two runs (raw time) were faster than Will.

emergency exhaust repair made to Pete's car with a piece hacked off the end of my Volvo exhaust.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/4/14 9:49 p.m.

Working as a safety steward is......interesting. We're doing well though and having a very good time. They took long enough today that the mod cars are getting their second course runs tomorrow morning. Then they have to reset the course. That means that we'll be at least two hours behind. Getting home in time to take the kids to school Monday is going to be a challenge. Mrs. Deuce was thrilled to hear that.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/4/14 9:51 p.m.
cghstang wrote: Did someone say 'Roll' call? From what I gather, the count is up to two.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/4/14 10:24 p.m.

I was lamenting that in my brief ~3yrs of rallycross I had never seen a rollover. And today I saw 2 in 2 hrs! And a handful of 2 wheelers including wae. The whole event has not been a favorable impression of a championship, but I'm still glad I came.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/5/14 5:47 a.m.

Sitting in the last trophy spot in class is not conducive to a good nights sleep. All least for me.
I'll have more to say about the site after today. At the town hall meeting last night they said they received five years of rain in the past two months. That's the big problem. I'll talk about the dirt and the elevation after I drive back and sort through my thoughts.
Good luck to everyone out there today.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/5/14 8:01 a.m.

Good luck to you guys that are racing & stay safe! I rolled a car at that venue last fall & it was no where near as wet as what you're describing.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/5/14 11:46 a.m.

That's crazy! In three seasons running at about 6 different venues with a variety of surfaces and conditions, I can't recall ever seeing any car on two wheels, much less a rollover. And we've run on some pretty rutted conditions here and there.

Curious: what kind of cars have rolled? I've slammed the e30 into some massive ruts at high speed and at best popped an inside front wheel up 6 inches. I can't imagine what I'd have to do to roll this thing.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
10/5/14 11:48 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I think it was an Impreza WRX and a Mk2 Golf that rolled. The Golf doesn't surprise me, but the WRX sure does.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/5/14 11:50 a.m.

interesting.

wae
wae HalfDork
10/5/14 1:08 p.m.

When I get back I'll get my in-car posted from where I nearly went over. And my car is fixed now and not doing its one-wheel, bouncy-bouncy thing. The course is just degrading rapidly and there seems to be a reluctance to make course changes because of the time involved.

GRM, if you guys had covered this event like you did Solo Nats, you'd have a great story to publish.

wae
wae HalfDork
10/5/14 1:10 p.m.

Oh, and Leon (Golf) rolled because he hit a rut that snapped the stub off his axle. That did in last year's MF National Champ on his second run of the event.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/5/14 5:58 p.m.

Dude.

Duuuuuuuuuude.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

(Who has two thumbs, placed 1.7 seconds out of 1st in MR, and has a certificate for a 2-day rally school at Team O'Neill? THIS GUY!)

irish44j wrote: Is the guy in front in MR co-driving with Pete (as the number would suggest)?

Yes. He was. He kicked butt again.

Ohio kicks butt too.

Knurled
10/5/14 6:02 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Curious: what kind of cars have rolled? I've slammed the e30 into some massive ruts at high speed and at best popped an inside front wheel up 6 inches. I can't imagine what I'd have to do to roll this thing.

A WRX, Leon Drake's Golf sheared a rear stub and went over, and a CRX went over. Also Ballinger's WRX folded a control arm and almost went over but he saved it and continued his run with the nearside tire crammed into the back of the wheelwell.

You could say it was rough. You could say the Pacific is a big puddle.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/5/14 6:50 p.m.

Well in any case, congrats Evan/Will/Pete....well met indeed!

Looking forward to vids and photos of the rough course and cars rolling over, lol.

Knurled
10/5/14 7:01 p.m.

Uploaded from wae's hotel room since he is trailering my car and I am driving his Neon because 14 hours with no muffler on an RX-7 that cruises at 5000rpm just will not happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQD_oW3wo9E

Sleep now! See y'all in 24 hours or so!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/5/14 7:14 p.m.

Jesus Pete....I'm gonna mail you a damn hard-mount for your GoPro. Just watching that makes me dizzy from all your head-bobbing, lol.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/5/14 8:04 p.m.

Congrats to Evan and Pete and everyone. My co driver won PF but I did nothing. Ah well, next year.
The SCCA needs to seriously reconsider this site. I was working safety (the CRX rolled in front of me and I got to fill out the paperwork) and I have some pretty strong opinions on how some things were handled. I will say that none of the rollovers happened on degraded portions of the course. Somehow with all of the course problems that we had that led to two wheeled shenanigans, both of the non mechanical rolls happened on fairly smooth but incredibly grippy corners.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OTQPKlfQxHRbG92m1vUHs0XJdPV9s0HnF74szLrMOOAsmOqrnNY7Dve1fwQuVQp9