erohslc
erohslc Dork
12/27/14 1:23 p.m.

It's starting to happen:

http://www.hardmarque.com/index.php?q=case-studies.html

Still requires regular machining for top, sides, rings, pin bore.
Would be interesting to see how it fares in the real world.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
12/27/14 2:15 p.m.
erohslc wrote: It's starting to happen: http://www.hardmarque.com/index.php?q=case-studies.html Still requires regular machining for top, sides, rings, pin bore. Would be interesting to see how it fares in the real world.

very interesting......

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/27/14 2:36 p.m.

What I'm most excited about 3D is the ability to make interior plastic parts which always seem to be unobtanium!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/14 3:52 p.m.

I'll take and host some pictures this coming week if the office isn't too insane

stroker
stroker SuperDork
12/27/14 11:47 p.m.

"Yeah, kid, that's right. Time was we didn't have the ability to upload diagrams on the innernet and just wake up in the morning with our part ready to fit. Yessiree, we had to drive all the way down to the local dealer or parts store and see if they had it on the shelf. God help you if yer car was old, 'cause then you'd prolly have to wait weeks to get one at absolutely stupid prices or deal with some scum-sucking bastid on Ebay.... Wussat? What's Ebay? I kin tell I'm jus' wastin' my time trying to teach you anything..."

bwh998
bwh998 New Reader
12/28/14 11:01 a.m.

look at this bike, all carbon tubes with 3d printed titanium lugs. 10 lbs.

http://inhabitat.com/ralf-holleis-unveils-ultralight-custom-track-bike-with-3d-printed-lugs/

eebasist
eebasist Reader
12/28/14 11:06 a.m.

Interesting. No doubt it will dimensionally be correct, I wonder about the metallurgy, will the printed part behave the same in terms of thermal expansion, is the grain structure the equivalent of the cast part? The printed part may be superior, but would love to see some application test results not just FEA.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/28/14 11:12 a.m.

Titanium pistons would be great but they won't make engines any greener (the article states that as a titanium advantage). Titanium is one of the most noxious materials to produce. It makes even aluminum look like peaches and cream comparatively. That's hard to do. So the fuel savings could be offset by greater air and water pollution. You could crank up the boost til the block splits in half, though.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/28/14 11:13 a.m.
eebasist wrote: Interesting. No doubt it will dimensionally be correct, I wonder about the metallurgy, will the printed part behave the same in terms of thermal expansion, is the grain structure the equivalent of the cast part? The printed part may be superior, but would love to see some application test results not just FEA.

I am pretty sure our stuff is roughly equal to a good casting, but remember that you can heat treat.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/14 11:16 a.m.
erohslc wrote: It's starting to happen: http://www.hardmarque.com/index.php?q=case-studies.html Still requires regular machining for top, sides, rings, pin bore. Would be interesting to see how it fares in the real world.

The guys on Speedtalk are really tearing into this. Titanium is a really bad idea for pistons.

Apparently the guy who came up with it is not an engineer or even a car guy, just someone showing off what he can do.

I still like the idea of steel or iron pistons. They might weigh a little more than aluminum, but they'd be way stronger at high combustion temps.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/28/14 11:18 a.m.

General rule of thumb I've heard is that it's 20% weaker than a quality billet of appropriate material (whether cast, cold rolled, etc), the real question is whether you need the part to rely on 100% optimal material, 'cause if so, that's a bad design :)

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
12/28/14 11:45 a.m.
erohslc wrote: Still requires regular machining for top, sides, rings, pin bore. Would be interesting to see how it fares in the real world.

So effectively they printed a piston shaped piece of metal and then used traditional machining to get it to proper spec.

When you can drop it in a motor give me a call.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
12/28/14 1:24 p.m.

Pistons may not be the ideal application of the technology at this point, but it is interesting none the less. I can see the aerospace industry using this.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/14 1:54 p.m.

It's better suited for compressor housings

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/14 2:13 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: It's better suited for compressor housings

From what I gather, aluminum is the biggest PITA because it's hard to print/additively sinter/whatever you want to call it without it collapsing and going all sunken-marshmallow.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iNKv2LVGLTx3SuwXJ9qOALrYy7dBJ9pBYsPu42aPWFuVmr7EMJDKlhEjI2TF3fsA