1 2
frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/5/11 7:05 p.m.

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88

And assuming I get it what should I do to it? I'm thinking some kind of obnoxious exhaust, tinted windows, and maybe lower it.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/5/11 7:24 p.m.

Side pipes, Crager wheels, Hi jacker shocks, and an 8-track player with Foghat in it all the time.

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
4/5/11 7:29 p.m.

Make it an oil burner, and by that I mean Diesel.

You should be able to fit a 6BT in it, but with that your mileage would be decent, and still have enough power to make it fun. I'd love to have one of those, fit about 18 people in there, and go cruisin for the night.

I'm amazed you haven't found one that's all donk'd out, painted up like a bass boat and rollin on twenty fo's!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
4/5/11 7:39 p.m.

From what I understand, anything you can/should do to an 95 or so Impala SS you can do to this. If it's a 77, it's probably a three-speed auto; if so, your fuel budget would welcome a JY overdrive four-speed.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/5/11 7:49 p.m.

This would just be a cheap toy car, not a daily driver so fuel mileage and practicality aren't really a priority. I have been looking around for something to practice wrenching on. I don't have much experience but I have a buddy that can bail me out if I get in over my head under the hood. The main priority would be cool and cheap in that order. Don't know if I feel like swapping trannys and stuff quite yet.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/11 8:06 p.m.

wow... I remember when I was little.. my Best Friend's Father had only Olds 88s. Usually Diesels.

They were nice boats

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
4/5/11 8:16 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: From what I understand, anything you can/should do to an 95 or so Impala SS you can do to this. If it's a 77, it's probably a three-speed auto; if so, your fuel budget would welcome a JY overdrive four-speed.

yup- the 77-96 B bodies all share the same chassis, with only a few minor changes made over the years. a set of 94-96 Impala SS srprings, sway bars, and steering box will bolt right in and make it corner and ride awesome. throw in a. 8.5 rear axle from an 87-93 9C1 (cop car) Caprice and you will get 3.42 gears and 11" drum brakes with a bigger 5X5 bolt pattern. grab the front spindles from the same car and you have 12" front brakes. a set of 15X8 steel "rally" wheels from an 80's 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with some 275-60-15 tires looks badass on the B bodies.. your powerplant options are wide open- if it has an Olds engine in it, then a 455 is a bolt in deal, but pretty much every engine got used in that body style so mounts and what not are easy to come by.

artyboy619
artyboy619 New Reader
4/5/11 8:18 p.m.

LSX motor, 6 speed haul ass,... and the groceries..... and boat

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
4/5/11 9:42 p.m.

Don't forget that the 1977 Delta 88 was the Indianapolis 500 pace car that year. It was the first Indy 500 I attended..........LOL. AJ Foyt was the first 4 time Indy winner that year!

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/5/11 11:24 p.m.

I know this is crazy talk but I'd find it more interesting if someone were to modernize and improve the Olds 350 already there vs. an LSx swap. 4 speed automatics should be an easy upgrade, and there are speed parts for the 350, a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads should really wake things up as would a real camshaft, intake, exhaust and all that jazz. Nice that GM basically gave you the suspension and brake bits with the 9C1/Impala SS cars.

Family had a '79 Delta 88 for a long time, it seemed like a pretty decent car, a 200-4R swap alone would have been a nice improvement.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/6/11 8:55 a.m.

Thanks for the replies. If I could just get the seller to respond to me. No phone number or email in the ad and he has listed it 3 times already. Planning on offering $1000.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/6/11 4:09 p.m.

Well I got to drive it. Fired right up and runs well. Sounds good even though the exhaust needs to be replaced. The seller said that he did replace the cam and added roller rockers. Makes good power. It appears to be all original, interior is in really good shape. The guy said that he is the second owner and it was a little old lady's car before he got it. Hard to tell in the pic but it is dark green with a light green vinyl roof. Body is pretty good, couple minor hail dents and missing a trim piece, nothin major. Gona go back in a little while with some cash to get it. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
4/6/11 5:59 p.m.

Nice.

Just remember, the Olds V8's of this vintage had windowed mains, so big power without a stud girdle is not a good idea. Any sort of power adder will result in the crank leaving the premises of the engine block violently.

For a cruiser, it will be just fine, and the better, earlier olds V8's (both small and big block) will bolt right in there if you decide to go crazy.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
4/6/11 7:49 p.m.

Sounds like a pretty nice cruiser.

My wife's first car was a 2-door '81 Delta 88 Diesel. My in-laws did her many disservices introducing her to driving in that thing. Mostly Olds Diesel 350 and Turbo Hydramatic 200 related.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
4/7/11 12:53 a.m.

i drove a 82 delta 88 from 03 to 09 and it was blast to drive evn with the 307. just add a good 4 barrel and headers and duels and it will really have fun with it.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
4/7/11 6:25 a.m.

Ad is deleted. Does that mean you bought it? I'd jump on it for that price.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
4/7/11 6:26 a.m.

So... did you get it? The post is gone on Craigslist.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/7/11 9:10 a.m.

Yep I got it. I'll try and post some pics up later. I can't help but smile every time I drive it. It also has a loud stereo in it so me and a buddy got some rap music and cruised around last night with it bumpin. We got lots of looks from the DONK crowd. I'm planning on turning it more into a Blues Brothers style cop car. That was an Olds wasn't it? Oh and my girlfriend was pissed until she got to drive it. Now she wants to take it to work and show her friends.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
4/7/11 9:12 a.m.
frenchy wrote: Yep I got it. I'll try and post some pics up later. I can't help but smile every time I drive it. It also has a loud stereo in it so me and a buddy got some rap music and cruised around last night with it bumpin. We got lots of looks from the DONK crowd. I'm planning on turning it more into a Blues Brothers style cop car. That was an Olds wasn't it? Oh and my girlfriend was pissed until she got to drive it. Now she wants to take it to work and show her friends.

That was a Dodge Monaco (440).

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/7/11 10:40 a.m.

I think another great cheap improvement would be an aftermarket steering wheel; the stock unit is from that era of American cars where the rims were the diameter of a pencil and the plastic they're made out of is nearly as hard.

You know, if they had made a convertible out of the two door sedan 88 of this era, I could see myself looking for one of these things.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/7/11 11:31 a.m.

Here goes with what I'm certain will be gigantic pictures.

One side looks better than the other. The passenger side has a missing trim piece and mismatched wheels. I have 4 matching wheels like the one in the first pic it is in the trunk with a junk tire on it. Right now I'm leaning toward removing all of the trim on the side of the car because it is just glued on and I have no Idea where to find a turquoise trim piece for the passenger side. Hopefully Monday I will get a dual exhaust or possibly side pipes. This weekend will be a thorough cleaning and detail. The paint has held up remarkably well for spending it's life in Iowa and South Dakota. Cars usually get rusty around here.

Pres589 I agree about getting a new wheel. They had a grant gt at autozone for 40 bucks. I want the one with the fake wood trim though.

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/7/11 11:52 a.m.

If the rim is still a soft material the Grant sounds fine, but I've always been wary of a wood (or wood-like) rim in a crash, because of the shattering that might happen. Momo Retro would look awesome, but they're about $250 or so new and that's 1/4th of the car price, so I wouldn't go there if it was mine...

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/7/11 11:53 a.m.

A couple more if anybody cares. The best thing about this car is that everything works. All the lights, signals, the horn, wipers, it still even sprays wiper fluid. Everything with the exception of the power locks and the rear power windows.

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
4/7/11 11:56 a.m.

In reply to pres589: The grant was black rubber with chrome rims. If you look at all the wood on the dash it would seem out of place in this car. If I can find a wood look for cheap it will be on there or it will just stay as is.

failboat
failboat Reader
4/7/11 12:22 p.m.

scour ebay for used wood steering wheels, grant or otherwise

car looks great

I have to second jacking up the rear a little and sticking some wide rubber under there. 15x10 wheels perhaps, 295/50 tires? White letter tires for sure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bFIS28t1HgP9vc2xlVdAtpH5U1MfrNGr4Mef1IAzMjFnUrdfohbq5WAwtK8tK9Aq