Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
10/8/08 1:26 p.m.

I am on the Board of a Couple of Non-Profit Dog Rescue groups and we were discussing putting on a Car Show to raise money for a group of dog rescue groups in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area. Then I start reading all the complaints here about there not being a Challenge in the West or Southwest. How many people here would be interested in Building a Car for and entering the DFW Race for the Rescue Dogs 200X Challenge?

I know it would be a big undertaking but I could draw on volunteers from both dog rescue groups and Sports Car Clubs in the Area including people with promotions and media expertise and some of the people who put on the Porsche Parade in Fort Worth a few years ago, not to mention people connected with the City who could get us places to race for free.

There would also be advantages to making this a charity event. Anybody who sponsors the event gets a tax write off for donating to a 501C3 organization. Entry fees would also be tax deductible. We might even find a venue that would donate use of a site in exchange for the good publicity and the ability to write off the donation of the track time.

Dallas or Fort Worth would be a good place for the event. We are within a days drive is Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Oklahoma City. In a couple of days you could drive here from Denver or Chicago. We are also closer to the West Coast than Florida if that makes a difference.

How about it. Anybody here want to enter an event like this or volunteer to help put it on?

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/8/08 1:53 p.m.

I bet you'd get a lot of the Florida Challenge regulars. I'd sure as hell try to come.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/08 2:03 p.m.

Check mail doggy

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
10/8/08 2:35 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Check mail doggy

Mail? Where do I find it? They changed everything again.

John Brown
10/8/08 2:50 p.m.

Email, whatever email account you registered with.

I will duplicate the idea here but remember it is "OPEN SOURCE" so anyone can run with it.

Quasi Mofo said:How about getting into the race promotion business? I have an idea called [a] DARE: Drag Race Autocross Rallycross Engineering Smackdown * Vehicle can NOT have an engine that is available in the chassis from the OEM. * Vehicle MUST run on Propane, Diesel or E85 “alternative fuel”. * Minimum weight of 1961lbs with 10 gallons of fuel “as driven without driver”. * Must be “street legal”, registered and insured. * Must be able to complete a 150 mile drive. * Roll cage, racing seat (1), safety harnesses (1) and fire system will not be counted towards budget if installed. * Brakes (including OEM style hoses) will not count against budget unless there is a blingtastic brake swap. * Everyone is spotted the replacement cost of one set of OEM sized (for the chassis) Kumho Ecsta ASX priced from The Tire Rack. Anything ABOVE that value goes against the budget. Stage 1: Drag Race - Timeslip = points (Lower the better Example 9.99sec = 9.99pts) Stage 2: Autocross - Average of 5 runs = points (Lower the better Example 45.38sec = 45.38pts) Stage 3: Rallycross - Average of three runs = points (Lower the better Example 51.85sec = 51.85pts) Stage 4: Engineering Smackdown - Scoring in these five categories: 1 is best 10 is worst. -Appearance 1-10 -Creativity 1-10 -Complexity 1-10 -Detail 1-10 -Drive system integration 1-10 Stage 5: Smiles per gallon - Scoring in these five categories: -Cost of 150 mile trip (Gas vs Diesel vs Propane vs other) (Lower the better Example $8.21 = 821pts) -Comfort over 150 mile trip 1-10 -Ergonomics 1-10 -Functionality 1-10 -Budget (Lower the better Example $1984.52 = 1984.52pts) MAXIMUM BUDGET OF $3000.00. LOWEST POINT TOTAL WINS.

I have been working on this idea for a little while as something to do reqionally where a group of locals could build their cars and compete in AROC, Detroit region SCCA and local events. Finding backing and support is the tough part.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
10/8/08 4:17 p.m.

I'm in FW and I'd be interested in helping.

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
10/8/08 5:29 p.m.

Take #3 out and and count me in!

GRM I think that you should take some pointers form this one.

150 miles on E85 no can do. More like 50 miles and you get extra points for going over.

For a total cost of 3k you can have some kick ass cars!

John Brown
10/9/08 6:22 a.m.

You can do #3 Jonny, most rallycrosses are just BIG autocrosses on dirt. The E85 thing should allow you to run a high compression FIAT engine AND a turbo in your Yugo!

Change the lines, filter and pump and drive it as far as you want!

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/9/08 8:35 a.m.

There are some issues of copyright infringement and whatnot if it gets too close to the GRM format. That said, it does look like fun.

John Brown
10/9/08 8:50 a.m.

Which is the primary reason I kept mine as polar opposite while doing some of the same types of events. Plus I figured an "ECO" type event might have some selling power.

btp76
btp76 New Reader
10/9/08 10:17 a.m.

I'm in Dallas. I'd be all over this, especially if our LeMons car survives Houston...

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
10/9/08 12:09 p.m.

the e85 thing is not so cool I can run it but, I only have a 7g tank. with no baffles. So after Im down to near half a tank I have to refuel. with e85 that is ?? 50 miles. The rally X may jar my car a part.

John Brown
10/9/08 12:58 p.m.

Never said you couldn't refuel, the cost of fuel will be counted (I left it open on purpose)

150 miles at 30 mpg is 5 gallons JP! You can't make a Yugo get 30 mpg?

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
10/9/08 3:07 p.m.

on E85 ill get more like 20 mpg. I need over drive to get 30. the part that is the most important part is that it will take all day to drive 150 miles. make it more like 5 at an average speed of ~ 50 and an idle for 20 min at the end.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
10/10/08 12:10 p.m.

I am trying to figure out the wierdest possible car I could put a Mercedes Turbo Diesel Motor in. I saw an old Citroen DS at a car auction a few weeks ago.

Maybe as a baby step for the regional event we can set up a test and tune session as a practice for the Challenge and see how many people show up. As for the Copyright problem, Maybe I could send a few large furry dogs to the magazine to pay for rights for a one day test and tune session and give GRM exclusive rights to coverage along with detailed pictures of any engines that blow up. Just let me know where to ship the dogs.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/10/08 12:16 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: I am trying to figure out the wierdest possible car I could put a Mercedes Turbo Diesel Motor in. I saw an old Citroen DS at a car auction a few weeks ago. Maybe as a baby step for the regional event we can set up a test and tune session as a practice for the Challenge and see how many people show up. As for the Copyright problem, Maybe I could send a few large furry dogs to the magazine to pay for rights for a one day test and tune session and give GRM exclusive rights to coverage along with detailed pictures of any engines that blow up. Just let me know where to ship the dogs.

You've got a PM (well, an email, really...)

John Brown
10/10/08 2:28 p.m.

PREMADE POSTER ;)

From Newstados Unidos

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8ql8tdhbJmQUcmZgKZ81s1veAWlPRxhw1xY8MxHmNhfXAspNd6MGiO4flLCElVPT