1 2
mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
3/28/09 12:17 a.m.

I was traveling this week through the country-here's a cool pic of the trip:

Photobucket

On my way back I happened upon this BMW for sale. Certainly not perfect, small rust spots and so on, sheepskin over the front seats, but very clean. I don't know mileage, but likely pretty high, like 180K plus. Seller wasn't around but I got a number, and I'm not sharing yet. This was situated in a pretty remote spot anyway, kind of took me by surprise. I may go back and pick it up if I can come up with the money. Anyone heard of this model or had any experience with them? I've never heard of them. Here's some pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/28/09 12:50 a.m.

no, but thats awesome

Luke
Luke Dork
3/28/09 2:03 a.m.

Cool . In the 'States these E3's (E3 for sedan, E9 for coupe) were known as Bavaria's. I actually came dangerously close to buying one very similar to this last year. It was a 3.0S with a 4 spd manual, in the same colour, (but with twin Zenith carbs, rather than the Bosch fuel injection designated by the 'i' on the back of this one.) From my brief test drive, I remember it had a decent amount of power (I think the engine is BMW's M30), slightly vague power assisted steering, and a lovely solid feeling throughout the entire car. Unfortunately the guy sold it to someone else before I could scrounge together the cash.

Also, the wheels on this car appear to be Alpina items, which are worth a bit of money to BMW folk. And, they look a whole lot better without those big, ugly safety bumpers.

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
3/28/09 2:16 a.m.

not alpina, those are common "turbine" wheels.

Watch VERY CLOSELY for rust!!!!

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
3/28/09 7:24 a.m.

The BMWCCA sticker is a good indication that, at least at some point in its life, the car was well cared for. Looks remarkably clean for its age. They don't have much collector value, but they are quite solid cars (assuming this particular example doesn't have a ton of rust). The hood, at least, appears to have been repainted, so check everywhere for filler, especially in the lower body.

The M30 engine will run more or less forever given proper maintenance. Valve adjustments (and cylinder head bolt retorque, if you follow the old school BMW maintenance approach) are important, as are regular oil changes (use good heavy oil - 15w40 or 20w50 - and OEM filters). Do not let it overheat - you will warp the head. Timing chains can get noisy, but that's usually a gummed up tensioner or a possibly worn guide, not the chain itself.

Not a lot of these cars came across the pond, so parts availability for interior, body, and trim may be limited. Mechanically there should be no problem whatsoever finding parts.

I like it. Reminds me of a cross between my 2002 and my old E28 533i.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/09 7:30 a.m.

I had one of those about 15 years ago. It was so badly rusted that part of the front suspension broke away from the frame.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
3/28/09 7:33 a.m.

save your money and buy a BMW 2002 instead.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/28/09 7:52 a.m.

But they make great vintage family cars. I'd rock one.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
3/28/09 8:09 a.m.

I have a 1971 Bavaria.. Its pretty much the same car., but with the smaller Euro bumpers. The 2800s Bavarias and 3.0s are pretty much the same car. At some point they got FI.. It its a 2 carb car see if it has had the Weber upgrades. The stock Zenicth carbs are a bith to get balanced. Is it a 4 speed? The Auto cars have weak transmissions. BMW was not known for a good auto back in the 70s. Rust will be under the trim on the side of the car. Drivers floor around the gas pedal, Rear wheel wells by the back bumper.

There is a Yahoo group called seniorsix as well as a .org web site. These are very nice riding under valued cars. Every on wants the cool E9 - 2 doors not the 4 door models . The yahoo group is very active. They have a yearly meet on the east and west coast.
Cooling RE radiator is also a problem with the cars, in hot climates. I had to get a tripple core Radiator made for my car. Its a good price.. a great deal if its no an Automatic trans.

B

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/09 8:59 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Anyone heard of this model or had any experience with them? I've never heard of them.

I don't know much about them, but do know that it's the car that ignited my car passion. When I was 5, my dad bought a new 1974 3.0 si that was sort of sky blue metallic over navy leather with a manual transmission. I loved that car and so vividly remember him letting me shift for him around town while he worked the clutch. I've been afflicted ever since. He eventually sold the car locally to Dr. Robert Cade, the lead inventor of Gatorade.

And then, in a truly small world syndrome, I go off to college in NC and get randomly assigned with a roommate. He's from Long Island and shows up driving a, you guessed it, a 3.0 si with manual transmission in the exact same color! The only difference was that his car had tan leather.

Looks like you found a neat example.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/28/09 11:00 a.m.

If it's not suffering from the rust horror stories previously mentioned, that looks like an killer way to get into a vintage BMW.

Even with a freshening of the engine, it's still a reasonable car to get into, huh??? Rare and different--I like it.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
3/28/09 12:48 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Photobucket

E3! E3! E3! Mewantmewantmewant!

And it's an Si!

The 2nd best car I ever owned was a `73 Bavaria (the stripped-down model). 3ltr., but carburated. If this car's not a rustbucket, I'd give you the money to go pick it up for me right now (if I had it). You want to check the rear shock towers especially closely.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/28/09 1:06 p.m.

I still want to see how a late 70s beemer would stack up against my benz. You can see BMW was making the transformation from economy cars like the 2002 to the bigger more luxurious car we now associate with them.

I looked at an 02 once and rust was a major issue. I don't know much about beemers but that car looks pretty cool.

Good luck!

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/28/09 2:00 p.m.

For the sake of pedantry, its bimmer (beemer referring to the motorcycles they made) and BMW made largish engines long before the E3, they just did not sell many of them (ever heard of the 501 and 507?). The first I-6 BMW made was in the '30s, it just didn't make it to America. They weren't an economy car maker that branched out. They were a niche sports car and motorcycle manufacturer that found a market and grew a brand.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/28/09 9:05 p.m.

I don't want to be a dick, but I have never seen a bmw older than the 1600 on the road. It doesn't mean they don't exist, but they must not have been imported or have died.

I don't know about BMW nomenclature either, doesn't bother me though.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
3/28/09 9:32 p.m.

BMW didn't have much of a presence in the US until Max Hoffman started importing them in the middle 1960s, so the 1600 was the first car that appeared in any numbers here. Back to the car in question, since it's a 3.0si it should have an L-jet fuel injected engine, basically the same one used in the early 5 series cars. They are pretty cool cars, you can do a lot to update them (a friend of mine built one with an e36 M3 engine that won the Targa Newfoundland some years back.) They are allergic to moisture, so rust can be a big problem.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
3/29/09 8:26 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: I still want to see how a late 70s beemer would stack up against my benz.

Well, maybe not an E3 against your SL, but mine would flat spank the early Merc W116s (except for the 4.5 & 6.9 V8s).

benzbaron wrote: You can see BMW was making the transformation from economy cars like the 2002 to the bigger more luxurious car we now associate with them. I looked at an 02 once and rust was a major issue. I don't know much about beemers but that car looks pretty cool. Good luck!

The E3 sedans and E9 coupes were under development at BMW not long after the "small" sedan project-"New Class"-which started with the 1500 in 1962 and led to the 1600/2000/1602/2002 models. It was called the "New Six" project, and began with the 2500 sedan and 2.5 CS in 1968. The bikes had bailed out the company after WW2 (the car plants were all in the East), but the early postwar cars were V8 powered land yachts on one hand, and microcars on the other. The management decided to start with a clean slate, and cars like the 2002 on one end and the E3 on the other were the result.

I still think an E9 could walk your R107 almost any day of the week..but I have to give Merc proper respect for taming the tinworm. My own E3 died from rust in the rear and front shock towers. They're no better, and may actually be worse than the 02.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
3/29/09 8:56 p.m.

Please don't tell me where that is. E3s are very underated and if there isn't much rust, it's money well spent. I've owned 3 2002s, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an E3.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap New Reader
3/29/09 10:22 p.m.

I've got nothing to add about the BMW, but that pic of your MGB out in front of that old house is fricking sweet.

Bob

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/30/09 9:14 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: But they make great vintage family cars. I'd rock one.

What he said. Me likey.

Margie

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/30/09 9:19 a.m.

Matt, I've wanted an E3 ever since I wrote a story for GRM on 'em years back. If you don't snag it, let me know where it is.

As for what to look for: RUST.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/09 9:39 a.m.

I know where it is, I called the Marine dealer across the street and got the number of the lot! Ha Ha Ha STOLEN!!!

(I'm kidding, its a slow morning. Great MG BTW. Any more pics?)

Josh
Josh Reader
3/30/09 9:57 a.m.

Oh crap, now I know exactly where it is... your move, Tim!

WilD
WilD Reader
3/30/09 10:57 a.m.

If there is any market for these, I'll let my buddy know. He has had a green 3.0s sitting in his parents lawn for some years now. Its's probably a parts car at this point... rust, rod knock and a blown tranny. My buddy thought he would fix it at one point. It might have already gone to the scrap metal recycler for all I know.

02BorderCollie
02BorderCollie New Reader
3/17/10 11:35 a.m.

So, one year later . . . what happened? Did anyone go get it?!?!?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
eltXvZGAoVTUCo79cJlHhnG59QfCtSrfuCGpJYAZuB18mwMJM5CJVpK0bDPRMXGK