1 2 3 4
03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/15/20 10:28 p.m.

Is there a boats section? I just bought my first bass boat to put around on the local lake with the wife and dogs, and don't know much about it. Its a 79 Cobra 17 foot. Supposedably a knock off of a Ranger. Was looking for a wide aluminum, but fell into a deal, and some here may recognize... I'm rather cheap!

No good pictures yet, but I am posting before picking it up, as requiredsmiley

Pic's from Craig's ad:

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/15/20 10:30 p.m.

Part of the reason for the "deal" is - it has a tiny 35 hp outboard on it. Kinda like having a Corvette, with a Chevette engine! but since we only want to putt-putt around, we're OK with that.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/15/20 11:45 p.m.

It'll probably go 25 or 30mph with that motor which isn't all that bad.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/16/20 12:37 a.m.

What motor?  From what I can tell, maybe a mid-60s Johnson?  That all-white paint job with the black, white, and red logos?

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 1:23 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Good eye. It's Johnson. With the housing not in the greatest shape. cheap all white (more cream) paint after poor repair. No decals now! But runs fine. I think early to mid 70"s model. Still has tiller attached. But steering seems ok. Plastic shift handle was drilled for cable - brittle from age and broke only time he took it out. I'll fab up a bit of aluminum for it.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 1:28 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

My wife grew up in Homestead, playing on air boats, etc. We both no longer care as much about speed as we used to, so we're good with it! She also had a 69 Z28 back in the early 70's. A lot of folks laugh at her when she tells 'em she had a chebby with a 302... "silly girl, that a ferd motor"  she just smiles.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 1:52 a.m.

Any guesses on weight? He is keeping it in his garage till after the hurricane (hopefully) goes around us, We'll pick it up this weekend, and swing through the truck scales on our way home. I'm assuming about 1500, but I would be glad if lighter. Big Red, the F350 FX4 is a bit overkill, but SHMBO's 07 Highlander FWD might be a bit light.

For just easing along the shore line at the small lake near us, I'm thinking about a small electric outboard mounted as a kicker... prolly not much different than the monster bow mounted trolling motors popular these days, but I think I can do it much cheaper. Kinda redneck, 'specialy if I make my own out of an antique outboard, but its a bass boat. Ain't they redneck anyway?

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/16/20 5:12 a.m.

I'd guess 1500-2000 lbs with trailer. My 15' 1973 trihull listed at 900 for the hull and 280lbs for the 85hp Evinrude. Figure you're boat is a little more, motor a little less, plus the second axle on that trailer adds some weight. 

mine will run 32 mph with one person or with 3, no real way to trim it while running though.  I'd guess a 35hp might not get you on plane with 2 people but it sounds like that's not really what you want anyway. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/20 7:58 a.m.

The 35 horse Johnson kind of takes the punch line away, but my favorite joke of all time ends, "Are bass a particularly speedy fish?"

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 8:05 a.m.
03Panther said:

Any guesses on weight? He is keeping it in his garage till after the hurricane (hopefully) goes around us, We'll pick it up this weekend, and swing through the truck scales on our way home. I'm assuming about 1500, but I would be glad if lighter. Big Red, the F350 FX4 is a bit overkill, but SHMBO's 07 Highlander FWD might be a bit light.

For just easing along the shore line at the small lake near us, I'm thinking about a small electric outboard mounted as a kicker... prolly not much different than the monster bow mounted trolling motors popular these days, but I think I can do it much cheaper. Kinda redneck, 'specialy if I make my own out of an antique outboard, but its a bass boat. Ain't they redneck anyway?

With that boat, unless you're looking for the challenge of it, I wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel by DIY'ing an electric outboard. I hope you ignore my advice, because I want to see it done, but the trolling motors these days are so good that I wouldn't. You'd only need a 12-volt, 55lb thrust on this one. If you want to wire 2 batteries in parallel, you'll be out on the lake all day. New you're looking at $600. You can go cheaper, but if you plan on using this a lot, you'll want blue-tooth (co-pilot or i-pilot). The foot pedals are ok, but annoying. Used you can probably find one for $300 or less, especially if you forego remote controls. 

And bow mount>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>stern mount. Is it easier to pull a stick through water or push one through water?

As for weight, I would have exactly 0 problems towing this with a Highlander. If you were taking it up and down mountain passes maybe you would want more, but this won't be more than 3000lbs in the absolute worst case scenario (swapping the outboard, 36v trolling motor, way too many fishing stuff, full tank of gas, etc.)

And if I can nitpick... Any bass boat is a knockoff of a Skeeter. 

Are you planning on doing any fishing out of it?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/16/20 8:12 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The 35 horse Johnson kind of takes the punch line away, but my favorite joke of all time ends, "Are bass a particularly speedy fish?"

Lol - I have actually been in a bass boat when we were glad to have all 225 horse power on the back of it. We were a few miles out on Green Bay when the water got really lumpy, really quick. We were able to get back to shelter before the microburst got to us, that was not on the radar at all. No way were outrunning it with a "normal" engine. With the obscene power, we were skipping over the waves. 

I know they're putting the 400HP engines on the multispecies boats, I assume they're on bass boats at this point. I don't think I want to go 80 on a boat. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/16/20 9:33 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Lol - I have actually been in a bass boat when we were glad to have all 225 horse power on the back of it. We were a few miles out on Green Bay when the water got really lumpy, really quick. We were able to get back to shelter before the microburst got to us, that was not on the radar at all. No way were outrunning it with a "normal" engine. With the obscene power, we were skipping over the waves. 

I know they're putting the 400HP engines on the multispecies boats, I assume they're on bass boats at this point. I don't think I want to go 80 on a boat. 

about 20 years ago I fished a company tournament with a guy who had just bought a rigged tournament boat used from a marina owner. While we were out on the lake he called the guy on his cell because he was so pissed off it wouldn't go over 75mph. Let me tell you, 75mph on a tourney bass boat that's 5" off the water at the gunwales is TERRIFYING. I thought I was gonna die several times that day. 

The new Allison bass boats are all capable of over 100mph straight out of the showroom. Think about THAT when you are kayaking around a fishing lake in the early morning mist.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/20 10:10 a.m.

Those hulls are pretty efficient.  Don't need a ton of power, but I doubt that old OMC will get it on plane.

I would shoot for 80-100 hp so it gets on plane with a full complement of people and gear.

As far as I know they're quality boats.  Owned by Lund for a little bit and then by Maverick Marine until the name was retired.  They are making new Cobra boats, but I think they are owned by Coral these days.  They are all under the same umbrella as Hawk, Ranger, Viper, Champion, et al.  The Cobra you have is basically a Ranger 485 with a few mods to the chine.

Here... I'll let Pat Goff explain it better:

Source Pat Goff
Legend/Hawk/Cobra/Viper, they all run together.
Here's the scoop, and anything else you hear is just B.S.

John Storie was wanting to start another boat company, but he was locked down in a very strict non compete contract with Champion. He could build a boat, but couldn't build a deep V Wedge hull boat.

So, what he did was splash a Ranger 482, added a turning chine, and increased the lifting strakes, and he had him a boat mold. That was the beginning of the Cobra/Viper boats, and they did the Fisher glass boats there also, same hull.

Storie got runnoft from Cobra, they went flaming down, and he and Bruce Benton started the Hawk boat, same basic mold, same basic boat. '01 came and they didn't have the legs to stay in the race, so that died. The molds were bought and brought to Texas where they started building the legends, then bought again and moved to Midway Ark.

Just so it's clear...again...
John Storie hasn't had a hand in designing a champ since the 80's. Anything coming out of champion today is designed by Alan Stinson.
Legend/hawk/viper/cobras are all a splash off a ranger 482. Modified, but still in the same gene pool.

It's more honest and accurate to state the legend/clones are modified rangers than some breed of champ.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/16/20 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the info. I had found the same article by Pat, but his wording seemed to require prior knowledge. 

Im sure I understand what he means in concept ‘bout taking a “splash “ of a ranger, but I don’t actually knew what a “splash” is?

for our uses, I won’t bother to put a larger engine on her... too expensive for me. But I might have to see if I can fall into a deal to put on when sale time comes around, ‘cause it IS what everyone else will want!

P. S. The two happiest days in a boat owners life... the day he buys it; and the day he SELL’s it!

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 11:27 a.m.

I assume a ranger 485 is one of the desired ones from the late 70’s?

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 11:31 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

We will do very little fishing. My “financial manager” is from Homestead FL... she’s not real stoked about catching “bait” Has asked me several time if the 20 acre lake near by has any snapper or hog fish. Maybe some yellow tail...wink

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 11:35 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

And if I can nitpick... Any bass boat is a knockoff of a Skeeter. 

Quite true!!! I like your wording of hope you ignore the advice... we’ll said! I have a 24v electric lawnmower, my dad lost the charger, and old batteries. Put that motor on an old 1 - 6 hp outboard engine... poor mans electric o. b. smiley

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/16/20 11:43 a.m.

Would def. rather have a bow mount. For sure the better way. And  I might talk financial manager into 600 before next summer. Would that include the fancy deck mount and all? Prolly won’t find a deal used round here, they ask new prices on Craig’s. I guess Panama City is a bad influence!

maybe a grm’er could help me finds a steal...er... deal. I don’t mind traveling down into FL a ways for one. 

Not looking for fast or fancy. Just putting smiley

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
9/16/20 11:49 a.m.

I traded about $2200  valve for it, that may or may not be a good deal. But it was a bike I didn’t really want anymore and a 7mm-08 bolt I was never gonna use. So I’m good, and financial manager is happy with no cash outlay!

now I just gotta find a K75 to ride to work, for trade ...hint hint. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/16/20 12:07 p.m.
03Panther said:

Would def. rather have a bow mount. For sure the better way. And  I might talk financial manager into 600 before next summer. Would that include the fancy deck mount and all? Prolly won’t find a deal used round here, they ask new prices on Craig’s. I guess Panama City is a bad influence!

maybe a grm’er could help me finds a steal...er... deal. I don’t mind traveling down into FL a ways for one. 

Not looking for fast or fancy. Just putting smiley

I think you'd be able to shop around for a bow mounted trolling motor under $600 pretty easily.

Literally the first one I clicked on craigslist that included a bow mount.  Others seemed to wander around until they got up to about $700.  If you don't find these up near where you are, a short trip should sort you

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bpo/d/saint-petersburg-minn-kota-riptide/7195429648.html

9/16/20 1:03 p.m.

I personally prefer a bow mount for fishing, but my boats pull a wide variety of uses.  Shore landings are a pain with a bow-mount electric.  For that reason I prefer a transom-mounted unit.  Any downside to control during fishing is more than compensated for in my multi-use scenarios.  Where I bass fish, the electric is mostly used to help a drift, or make one if there is no wind.  If I were a hardcore bass fisherman, I would want the bow-mount, but I'm not a hardcore anything.

9/16/20 1:07 p.m.
03Panther said:

I assume a ranger 485 is one of the desired ones from the late 70’s?

It was the update from the late-70s.  I think they used the 485V from late 80s-mid 90s?  My brain wants to say 86-95 but I'm not sure.

9/16/20 1:09 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the info. I had found the same article be Pat, but his wording seemed to require prior knowledge. 

Im sure I understand what he means in concept ‘bout taking a “splash “ of a ranger, but I don’t actually knew what a “splash” is?

for our uses, I won’t bother to put a larger engine on her... too expensive for me. But I might have to see if I can fall into a deal to put on when sale time comes around, ‘cause it IS what everyone else will want!

P. S. The two happiest days in a bot owners life... the day he buys it; and the day he SELL’s it!

From the context, I assumed "splash" means like when you're making a recipe and include a "splash" of vinegar.  I think it means he took the Ranger 485V Commanche hull and changed the chines enough that he could call it his own without inviting copyright issues.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/16/20 2:40 p.m.

Yep. I get that's what he did, but the splash throws me. Immaterial, but I'm just a tad obseffive! Sadly your thought on what he ment would loose me even more! ( if it mattered...  fortunately, it don't)smiley

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/16/20 2:48 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I personally prefer a bow mount for fishing, but my boats pull a wide variety of uses.  Shore landings are a pain with a bow-mount electric.  For that reason I prefer a transom-mounted unit.  Any downside to control during fishing is more than compensated for in my multi-use scenarios.  Where I bass fish, the electric is mostly used to help a drift, or make one if there is no wind.  If I were a hardcore bass fisherman, I would want the bow-mount, but I'm not a hardcore anything.

I was thinkin' about the same, since it will not do much fishing... I'm too much ADD to be hardcore about anything. I'm sure you can relate!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NFIBjilxuOztkmMzA5w6AfGYrYR4vB6k2z9tLVqp9UiMyeM9zzJSxF2Ec6ZYkKdf