1 2 3
Armitage
Armitage Reader
6/28/12 12:31 p.m.

I was browsing youtube the other day and it recommended me this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7uT4dTMUEA

Anyone have any experience with using this stuff as used in the video? Since it can be peeled right off I can't imagine it's very durable/long lasting. Seems relatively inexpensive and easy to apply; it may be a good option to make a track rat look more presentable. I wonder how much weight the whole package adds and if heat from brakes, hood, etc. will cause premature failure.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/12 12:53 p.m.

I did my Miata hardtop with plastidip from the spray cans. It took 3 cans and still doesn't look too great, mostly because I was trying to cover black with white.

It does look like it will peel off pretty easily when needed, it has only been on a month or so at this point.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/28/12 1:00 p.m.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if I could Plastidip the whole Javelin in a gloss color for cheap?

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
6/28/12 1:08 p.m.

That looks cool but I can't imagine it will last very long.

failboat
failboat Dork
6/28/12 1:12 p.m.

Ive seen lots of people using to paint parts of cars, general consensus is it holds up well over time. Cheap to do, and if you change your mind, take it off, you didn't ruin your car with a can of spray paint.

Javelin, I think since its a rubberized coating its kind of matte by nature, but I have heard they make a clearcoat designed to go over it to make it look glossy.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/28/12 1:19 p.m.

Hmmm...I may just have to try this on my miata now....I like experimental paint jobs and I'd like to give it some kind of covering until I feel like doing proper body and paint work on it.

Red...or bright orange....

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/28/12 1:37 p.m.

Bright orange should make the Miata look like a pylon!

Javelin
6/28/12 1:41 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

Even if it's not glossy it should still look better than what is there (and maybe protect it more?). Heck, if flat is what they have some Desert Tan would rock and I can paint a shark mouth on the Plastidip! There's potential here for sure...

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/28/12 1:44 p.m.

There's a guy who did his Audi S4 in matte white, with black roof and black wheels. He calls it the stormtrooper.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
6/28/12 1:46 p.m.

I didn't get a picture but a guy rhino bed linered in orange an older rat rod coupe. It looked like orange friut skin. My 9 year old daughter wasn't a fan and I had to quiet her down when she started giving her opinion loudly to me.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/28/12 2:30 p.m.

If the weight isnt too bad that would work for a multitude of challengers

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/12 4:03 p.m.

might be better than painters tape for people taking their road car out for a trackday

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/28/12 4:47 p.m.

I want to see the coverage on a car that started with mismatched or crappy paint. Does it only come out well if the finish beneath it good?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
6/28/12 4:52 p.m.

I have plasti-dipped my Cherokee's front and rear bumpers. When i get a scrape I just spray over it. It has held up well so far.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
6/28/12 4:56 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: I want to see the coverage on a car that started with mismatched or crappy paint. Does it only come out well if the finish beneath it good?

Actually the opposite it true. It tends to smooth out and cover up blemishes and roughness. You may need to do several coats but it almost acts like a filler.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
6/28/12 5:11 p.m.

www.dipyourcar.com

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/12 5:12 p.m.

Hmmm...wonder how this would work on a pair of old spider-cracked fiberblass Europas???

I also worry about the weight though. I'd hate to add 20% to the bare body weight just in finish-coat.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
6/28/12 6:52 p.m.

May give it a try to see how 2 tone looks on my XR4Ti.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
6/28/12 8:27 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: might be better than painters tape for people taking their road car out for a trackday

If you are going on a trip you can cover the front end and mirrors etc. to protect from bugs, chips and other nasties and then just peel it off when done. And yes it does look a lot better then painters tape.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/28/12 8:39 p.m.

Anyone know if you can spray it with a normal HVLP paint gun without clogging the gun?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/28/12 8:54 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Anyone know if you can spray it with a normal HVLP paint gun without clogging the gun?

Doubt it but a larger orifice gun like used to spray lizard skin might work.

Javelin
6/29/12 10:17 a.m.

I wonder if you can spray multiple colors on at once and have it dry into one "layer"? I notice they have camo...

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/29/12 10:23 a.m.

I am guessing you could since chemically its probably the same. I was thinking about that last night as well. I noticed the dip your car guys sell kits where the plastidip is thinned so straight from the cans that is probably why it didn't go as good on Evan's top for example?

I also wonder what a car would look like if you did the glossifier over it?

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
6/29/12 10:34 a.m.

Tom did that on his Mazda2's rally wheels.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2011-107-mazda2/getting-dirty-deuce/

The PlastiDip survived the rallycross and several months of road miles. No chips or scratches.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/29/12 10:38 a.m.

I think your biggest potential for damage would be from something that would stretch it out?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E92WJQ23mZd83EXbyp5pd2nWoLqLBinpxtLzVYPZaywORbNmX3kNHD2ivP09uNil