1 2
M030
M030 Dork
1/4/17 3:47 p.m.

I don't know much about it except that it does not run, it's a long wheelbase and I can have it for less than $500. Normally, I'm tempted by the low price and buy whatever the junk is anyway, but this time, I'm having a hard time coming up with a creative use for this junk. Chances are, if I buy it, I will donate it to my schools program, so the kids can work on it. I'm just not sure there's enough there for them to learn anything. It's kind of one of those cars that was pretty cutting-edge what it was new But it's aged into just an expensive old ass ache. Anybody have a better idea?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/17 3:53 p.m.

Make a bigger one of these?

If not that, this?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/17 4:01 p.m.

They are mostly a mix of 5 and 3 series underneath with either a quad cam V8 or a V12.

Lots of expensive to maintain tech since this was the flagship model for BMW at the time.

The V8 was the basis for the M5's V8 (they added variable cams and some other tech in the M5).

Its a big, heavy boat with a pretty cool motor.

Personally, I'd pull the motor and use it for something cool after selling all of the 740 bits off to those that are trying to keep one going. You can fit a manual behind it and they make nice noises.

Otherwise, after messing with one for a few years and finally getting rid of it, I'd keep on walking.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/4/17 4:04 p.m.

4 seat Exocet

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
1/4/17 4:12 p.m.

Challenge car exocet style?

M030
M030 Dork
1/4/17 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Stefan: The best idea I've come up with yet was to pull the 4 L V8, and shove it in a 318 TI. I'm just having a problem finding a 318 TI that's not rotted to death, here in New England. Really, any E36 chassis BMW should be a fun project with a V-8 swap, but again, finding a solid one in these parts is difficult

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/17 5:14 p.m.

If it's in good shape get it running and drive it or flip it. Or both.

M030
M030 Dork
1/4/17 5:16 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

It is not

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/4/17 5:20 p.m.

Teach the kids to flip it. That could be a real life skill.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/4/17 5:47 p.m.

Aristocrats!

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
1/4/17 6:10 p.m.

Man-made reef.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/17 6:29 p.m.

This sounds alot like the free boat or free airplane...

Either the reef or school sound like the better options.

Or target practice at one of those machine gun shoots. Viking funeral and all that.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
1/4/17 6:46 p.m.

Install a set of koni shock absorbers and use it to transport items for a fee.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/4/17 7:04 p.m.

That's a very precise answer....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/17 7:08 p.m.

Part it out. Send the rest to the scrap yard.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
1/4/17 7:38 p.m.

Make a big ass pickup truck out of it and enter the kids in the High School Division of the 2017 challenge. Let them be creative with it. Let him weld up the doors the rear doors and do body work to fabricate a pickup bed.

Take the kids on a field trip to Florida in October. I'll start the pledge drive and pledge $250 towards the field trip expense. I'm sure other Challengers would be happy to see some high school kids in her hand will also join in the pledge Drive. I bet grm will waive the entry fee

Robbie
1/4/17 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

In. I can pledge $50.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/5/17 7:41 a.m.

As you know, I love the E38, and am the founder of a rather large regional E38 owner's group. The kids could learn quite a bit from them as they are very DIY friendly. The iLs are not as desirable in stock form, but can make excellent custom projects. I'm in fact going to be looking for a black on black '98 iL (pre-facelift) to do a custom project to have alongside my '01 740i Sport.

Robbie
1/5/17 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Low and slow, baby! (though I bet they're pretty quick) I'd rock the E38 M7 out of those.

I remember going to BMWCCA autoxes back in the day with my e36 325i. there was a guy who was a great driver in a stock e39 m5. He would absolutely whup the pants off just about everyone who showed up other than the bimmerhaus e36 m3s. I was always impressed at how well those 4000 lbs moved.

Robbie
1/5/17 9:15 a.m.

CURSES!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5935178812.html

2001, 150k miles, 282 hp, 325 lb/ft, $1500 ask.

By the way - OP, check your local craigs for these bad boys. $500 for an in-op car is not a bad price, but it is definitely not a 'good buddy' discount. Looks like here in chicago $500 will get you one that needs a motor or trans all day.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/5/17 11:39 a.m.
Doc Brown wrote: Install a set of koni shock absorbers and use it to transport items for a fee.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/17 12:33 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote: Install a set of koni shock absorbers and use it to transport items for a fee.

I saw a nice 735 with a manual for sale locally a couple weeks back. I was really tempted. For day to day use a auto trans is much better for me but what a sweet ride.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/5/17 12:34 p.m.

If it's a 740il, the timing chain guides probably went. I'd recommend a junkyard replacement engine with the guides done while the engine's out, and then plumb up an aftermarket air suspension system. Throw on some nice 18s, and get ready to drop jaws and snap necks wherever you go.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/6/17 8:41 a.m.

Of course, there's always this option with the engine and trans...

Yes, that's 4.4 liter 740iL engine in there.

M030
M030 Dork
1/12/17 5:12 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Teach the kids to flip it. That could be a real life skill.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

This is the winning idea! It's what we're doing with it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ev5BfLF80iDyLBHFWf3G4hhbhEmIecJ4NDTQDVuIzyygILEx8ADxRnD8CUQ3Fewz