Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/30/12 12:58 p.m.

I understand that the market for Westies is really hot right now, but I didn't even know that they were offered with a diesel.

Does anyone know if the diesels are more or less desirable in these things?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/12 2:34 p.m.

TDI conversions are popular. There's at least one running around Burlington, VT.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
6/30/12 2:34 p.m.

A Diesel Vanagon is pretty damned slow. Add the weight of all that camping gear, and you'll time your 0-60 with a calendar, not a stopwatch.

Still, people lust after them, because no other camper will get 30+mpg.

The market for every VW Bus/Transporter is obscene right now.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
6/30/12 2:57 p.m.

I've driven diesel vanagons. One was the stock diesel, the other two were TDI conversions. With the stock diesel, I kept looking for the parachute release button. I was sure there was a huge drag chute on there. The TDI was actually approaching drivable. I also drove a gasser with a subie motor. Wow!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/12 3:05 p.m.

Could it be that much worse than a late 70s bus with an automatic?

I had to drive one of those. Every magazine writer who bitches piteously over how X mommymobile can't break 15 seconds in the quarter mile should have to live with one for a month.

Only time I've driven anything that could not keep up with normal city traffic.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/30/12 6:49 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Still, people lust after them, because no other camper will get 30+mpg.

He wishes to disagree.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 New Reader
6/30/12 8:31 p.m.

I initially thought this thread was about stuffing a TDI into a Westfield. Something about seeing black smoke come from the sidepipes of a Caterham clone really got my attention. Kinda disappointed now.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/12 8:36 p.m.
ptmeyer84 wrote: I initially thought this thread was about stuffing a TDI into a Westfield. Something about seeing black smoke come from the sidepipes of a Caterham clone really got my attention. Kinda disappointed now.

You could just use an English engine and substitute a late 240Z carb for the real SU. Normal failure mode for one of those things is going choking-black-smoke rich, so it's kind of the same effect.

(Don't ask why they thought to put an accelerator pump on an SU carb. "Because screw you, that's why" is the best I can figure)

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
6/30/12 10:18 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
EvanR wrote: Still, people lust after them, because no other camper will get 30+mpg.
He wishes to disagree.

Would like to know more about this RV. Appears to be a decent size and has little rear overhang, should make towing easier. Small enough to easily drive yet big enough to comfortable.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
6/30/12 10:25 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

some good info here:

http://www.vixenrv.org/viki/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/1/12 10:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Could it be that much worse than a late 70s bus with an automatic? [...] Only time I've driven anything that could not keep up with normal city traffic.

Old Fart VW Tech Flashback Dept: You have not lived until you've driven a 36-horse Bus. Or, more correctly, wished for that part of your life back.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
7/2/12 8:06 a.m.

The latest VW Campers have a 5 cyl 2.5L diesel that is lustworthy. 175hp and it gets 30+ MPG. Obvious catch is that you can't get 'em here. Search: VW California T5. Simply awesome.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/12 1:25 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote:
m4ff3w wrote:
He wishes to disagree.
Would like to know more about this RV. Appears to be a decent size and has little rear overhang, should make towing easier. Small enough to easily drive yet big enough to comfortable.

Just saw one of these last month. 1st one I'd seen in years...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R4C2gtx603v42YU0K24cyNwYaA3JmoUzQin8MgvLFG2701SZVXZu8gQYpSEtEIZC