1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 42
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/18 2:08 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

I am utterly shocked that Williams took Norris, if they take Ocon, their performance should be much better then this year.

???

Norris is at McLaren.  George Russel just singed with Williams.  And Autosport has a good video explaining why Ocon didn't and Russel did get the seat.  Basically, Ocon has nothing to gain by driving a bad car in F1 vs. being Mercedes 3rd driver.  Whereas Russel has a lot to gain just getting seat time.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/18 2:46 p.m.

I am having a hard time understanding how sirotkin currently has a seat and Ocon does not....

Also, how the hell did hartley ever get a seat.  He is a great sports car driver.  He is dog crap in F1.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/15/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I meant Russel Why Russell earned his drive - and why Ocon missed out

I watched the video, I still don't understand where Ocon would go in 2020? Is he hoping that Perez's money dries out? Hamilton is in love with Bottas aka Reubens, Not a chance at Ferrari(too many people ahead), Redbull(not a redbull driver) , or Renault (They love Ric and Hulkenburg, otherwise it would be a done deal). Would he really want to drive for McLaren? So that leaves Sauber, Haas, or Williams. Grosjean seems to turn up his performance when the team talk about letting him go. Sauber has too many Ferrari development drivers in the wings. Taking a year off of racing, being a 3rd drivers where you get barely any seat time. Comeback to racing to compete against a upcoming driver in a Williams, that you could have driven the year before. I bet that he will be in WEC or FE, in 2020.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/18 10:45 a.m.

I thought he was going to formula 1.5 super formula.  Or whatever the hell it's called.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/15/18 2:28 p.m.

What Hamilton needs to do to take the championship this weekend based on where Vettel finishes.

Or, if you're a Vettle fan, what Vettle has to do to stay in the fight based on where Hamilton finishes.

Plucked from Reddit's F1 sub.

-Rob

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/18 2:43 p.m.

The odds of a Hamilton 1st, Vettel 3rd result are pretty good, especially at that track. He's locked up the championship there at least twice, no? It's going to take a monumental Mercedes bobble and excellent work on the part of Ferrari for Vettel to take the championship at this point.

It's a shame to see Ocon losing out on the musical chairs game. I hope he gets a good ride in a different series. Lots of F1 drivers seem to do well in WEC, maybe he'll have a chance to win Le Mans.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/18 5:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The odds of a Hamilton 1st, Vettel 3rd result are pretty good, especially at that track. He's locked up the championship there at least twice, no?

Yeah, a couple of lockups plus Hamilton's won every race they've held in Austin except for 2013.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/19/18 8:01 a.m.

Is anybody going to Austin for the race?

Keith Tanner
10/19/18 8:20 a.m.

Not this year, we went during the last hurricane-induced screwup. The weakest part of the weekend, IMO, was always the support races. That year was supposed to have Historic F1, but they only got one lap under yellow and that was it. Plus the whole "Track is closed! No, wait, maybe not! No, it is! Hang on, there are cars out there" spasm. It's an easy race to attend when there aren't weather emergencies, though.

This year, though, a friend is racing in the F4 support race. Everyone cheer on Sabre Cook, folks, she's quick, smart and trying to work her way up the ladder. She may also be the only woman on track all weekend.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/19/18 1:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This year, though, a friend is racing in the F4 support race. Everyone cheer on Sabre Cook, folks, she's quick, smart and trying to work her way up the ladder. She may also be the only woman on track all weekend.

Sabre is cool and very talented.  Saw here many times at national kart races.

-Rob

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/19/18 4:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner
10/19/18 4:36 p.m.

Or did Vettel earn a penalty that cost him the championship? I'll bet the FIA wouldn't want it to end that way, but if there's prior art, it's going to pretty hard to avoid handing it out.

It may not matter!

" ...nearly two seconds slower than Hamilton who clocked the fastest time with ease ahead of Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas. "

Regardless of a grid penalty,  Vettel will be in the top 6 somewhere after a few laps. Assume top 5, if Kimi is asked to get out of the way. At least one of the Red Bulls will crash or break or take a 50 place grid penalty, so there's 4th. So - can Sebastian get past the surviving Red Bull and Bottas? If it turns out to be Max vs Vettel, I want to hear a live radio feed from Vettel's car laugh

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/19/18 5:33 p.m.

Unless Lewis dies in qualifying, and Seb wins all the rest of the races, Lewis is champion.  All the grid penalties in the world won't cause, or prevent Seb losing the championship.

Even if Lewis dies in quali, Bottas will win a race or two, and Seb still loses. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/21/18 12:18 p.m.

Kinda silly/kinda fun all at the same time.  In my opinion, this is the type of stuff to get more interest in F1.

These are the suits that Daniel and Max will be wearing for the race in Austin. 

-Rob

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
10/21/18 12:28 p.m.

If they sold those shirts today at the track it would be a hit.....

Is the race on the radio in the USA ?

Lewis will finish 3rd place............

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/21/18 12:48 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

If they sold those shirts today at the track it would be a hit.....

Is the race on the radio in the USA ?

Lewis will finish 3rd place............

Define "on the radio"?  Apparently, you'll be able to stream it live on the BBC (I just tried it) at 1:00 p.m. CST.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/5live

-Rob

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
10/21/18 12:51 p.m.

Man Johnny Herbert got fat.  I guess I'll watch for a minute but I haven't watched in many years.  Kinda spoiled by the characters from the 70s and 80s.  The plastique male models don't do it for me.  wink

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
10/21/18 1:05 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
californiamilleghia said:

Is the race on the radio in the USA 

Define "on the radio"?  Apparently, you'll be able to stream it live on the BBC (I just tried it) at 1:00 p.m. CST.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/5live

-Rob

nope ON bbc 5 LIVE , RIGHTS RESTRICTIONS !

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/21/18 2:51 p.m.

That was a good race!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/21/18 3:21 p.m.

The Iceman wins his first race in 5 years and still manages to give a boring, lifeless interview. Here's an interesting Iceman

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/18 6:12 p.m.
chandler said:

That was a good race!

Might've been the best race this year! I believe there was more passes for position in this race than any I've watched in the last coupla years. Good show, especially at the end.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/21/18 6:19 p.m.
chandler said:

That was a good race!

I was on the edge of my seat at the ending- that play between Lewis and Max was great!  While i was disappointed that Lewis could not make it stick, the fact that they were so clean was great to see.  (kind of puts all of the fault onto Seb when he encounters one of these guys)

I think Merc made the bad call for the timing of brining Lewis back in- they had a gap (barely) at one point on Max, and should have stuck that one.  The risk on the VSC tire change will be second guessed for. a long time- mostly because they should have had a better plan if Lewis showed any (barely any) signs of tire issues- and we saw some before the gap close for 2nd place.  But that's ok- the lead got a little bigger- and if Lewis just finishes last among the top teams (6th) in Mexico, it's all over.  Heck, he could even finish 7th and win it all, no matter what Seb does.  70 point lead with 3 to go is a pretty healthy gap.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/21/18 7:08 p.m.

I don't think there was any risk at all on the early tire change.  In hindsight, they should have thrown a set of Ultras on it, used the E36 M3 out of them to pass Kimi, then pitted again shortly after Kimi, or maybe as soon as he caught Kimi.  Everybody else needed tires anyway.

Fun to watch.  I can't think of the last time I didn't know who would win, place and show with three laps to go 

Max!

If it were way earlier in the season, Lewis would have passed Kimi early, and Max late.  Low percentage passes at this point.

I had a mental picture of a wrinkled, white haired Seb sitting in his rocking chair, staring into the fireplace crackling in front of him, silently mouthing the word, "Berkeley".

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/18 7:12 p.m.

Lewis was very careful as he tried to pass Max, he never gave him the chance to drift out into him (or close the door late) like he's done to others this season always falling back trying to get a better run out and make the pass stick before the next apex. I think if he had been racing someone else it would've been tighter and the pass might have stuck. With that said, that's why he'll be champion again this year.

Hamilton battles Verstappen 

Great race overall

Adam

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/21/18 7:13 p.m.

I'm super tired of the announcers making a big deal of the risk to Lewis for the championship.  " He has to score six points more than Vettel to win!"

No.  He has to score six points between the next three races.  Shut up.

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
miAxU80jwQOAv7t8MFDvfKQc1zuo2Ud7TSTfXshPxSamFcbrBbUmjNg5591yElAF