1 2 3
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/29/12 9:37 p.m.

If you follow the $2012 classified ads on this board, or saw the thread on the impromptu Mass. gathering, you know that we bought the 2002 WRX from Woodie for his agreed upon price of $2012. We bought it as a parts car for our upcoming Factory 5 818 project. We have looked the car over some, cleaned it up, done some minor service work on it and are quickly falling in love. I had forgotten how fun these cars really are. I still don't understand how a new car can bore me, but as soon as it is ten years old and cheap as heck, I fall in love. We might not part this one out. If nothing else we are going to do a low-buck Subaru project series of stories first, before we part it. Any thoughts or comments on what you would like to see? And please don't say spend $20,000 and make it have 650 hp, as that is not in the cards for this car.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/29/12 9:49 p.m.

I'd be interested for you guys to just do a survey what inexpensive racing events you could be competitive in with the car. Basically, say "ok, we have a cheap WRX and $3,000 to spend on making it fast, what can it be competitive at?". Something like that. Is rally-x the way to go? Stock or one of the street auto-x classes? Time trials?

Then once you figure out how to put this super-cheap subie to work, you can build it up and see how it actually performs. Maybe pick the top two events that you think it would be suited for and see if you can make a car that's versatile enough for both.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/29/12 9:57 p.m.

Spend $10k and 325hp?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/29/12 10:00 p.m.

Ooh ooh pick me, pick me! I started following/fell in love with GRM when you guys did mostly cheap projects and this one is one I can totally sorta contribute to.

-Budget cobb alternatives exist and should be explored.
-Ebay exhausts are cheap, offensively loud, and sound damn good!
-Stock low mile shock/spring takeoffs, STI or replica wheels with 245/45/17 aggressive street tires, a fat aftermarket rear swaybar, and a moderately aggressive street alignment make for a car that corners insanely well but can bomb into a potholed corner at full g's and laugh its way through. True cornering fun, not a parking lot prima donna.

That setup made one of our former cars about the most fun car we have ever owned.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/12 10:02 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Spend $10k and 325hp?

How about spend $1k and make 325hp.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/29/12 10:04 p.m.
EvanB wrote:

I think your sarcasm meter may be malfunctioning.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/29/12 10:24 p.m.

RWD conversion and compete in MR class rallycross. Just for the "WTF???" factor

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
6/29/12 10:24 p.m.

Subaru stuff is getting really cheap. When I had my 2002 wagon, I had a full "stage 2" setup (up-pipe, down pipe, cat-back exhaust, and tune) on the car for around $700. I never dynoed mine, but similar setups were getting people around 80whp. I bet you can do the same for under $500 now if you shop smart. And that's just the power mods... suspension stuff can be had for short money if you shop used on stuff like springs and sway bars.

I'd keep things cheap, shop the NASIOC forums for some cheap used stuff( you guys still have a section over there, right?) and hit up eBay for the rest.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/29/12 10:30 p.m.

I just can't believe you got a WRX for 2000 bucks

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/29/12 10:31 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
EvanB wrote:
I think your sarcasm meter may be malfunctioning.

Impossible!

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/12 10:37 p.m.

There are just so many cheap projects for a Subaru it makes it hard to pick. Open source roms or a Cobb, diy water/alcohol injection, downpipe, injectors/fuel pump, uppipe, koni or feal strut inserts, shifters, bushings, TICs 5mt transmission brace, chinese turbos, and a bunch of other things are possible for cheap. Im sure that GRM could wring out any number of articles from this project.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/30/12 3:35 a.m.

I think people should stop thinking about trying to make WRXs faster. That's when things start to go up in smoke. The engine makes the car move seriously fast right out of the box.

If you find a cheap one, fix what needs to be fixed before thinking about upgrading it to Stage IX...Where the cars will need attention is stuff like motor mounts, shock mounts and decent shocks. Keep them cool and make sure the oil is clean and full and then drive the crap out of them.

Also, its Woody, not Woodie for cryin' out loud! There's something about people at this magazine, you guys love to get my name wrong.

Woody
6/30/12 3:44 a.m.

Also, there is a cheap (free!), fun mod you can do, especially if you own a wagon and live some place warm like, say, Florida. The washer fluid bottles on wagons have two pumps: one for the front and one for the rear wiper. Disconnect the line to the rear of the car and make a water sprayer for the intercooler. Just hit that rear washer switch and bring your intake temperature down.

If you have a sedan, your washer bottle only has one pump, but there is an indentation in the tank for a second one, so you can easily add one and rig up a switch for it.

All you need to do is buy a used pump from a junk yard or from a guy who has one sitting on a shelf in his basement.

Someone, perhaps...like me.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
6/30/12 6:59 a.m.

Here's what we have to work with:

What do you think?

Woody
6/30/12 7:19 a.m.

It looks angry.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
6/30/12 8:03 a.m.

I agree with the Woodmeister. Like an average guy with a family that needs to drive this car to work. What can I do to this with a $300 budget per month for 12 months? (2 paychecks a month x $150 a check).

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/30/12 9:07 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I agree with the Woodmeister. Like an average guy with a family that needs to drive this car to work. What can I do to this with a $300 budget per month for 12 months? (2 paychecks a month x $150 a check).

Look at my recipe a few posts up. It was the most all around fun daily we have ever had and could easily be done on the cheap. 0-60 solidly in the low 5's, unflappable cornering, and great noises. Our Miata on azennis(sp)? and stiff suspension was a better track toy but the WRX was a way better street bomber and very competent family hauler.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/12 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

i believe you're on to something there.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
6/30/12 10:44 a.m.

Is finding sub 3k wrx's even a somewhat common occurrence? Cuz I like what MrJoshua is talking about

bigwrench1
bigwrench1 New Reader
6/30/12 11:04 a.m.

RALLYCROSS!!!!!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/12 12:23 p.m.

How about covering some open source tuning? Not megasquirt more like home brew Cobb tuning.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/134322320-opensource-tuning-your-questions-answered-here-romraider-tactrix.html

fifty
fifty Reader
6/30/12 1:00 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: How about covering some open source tuning? Not megasquirt more like home brew Cobb tuning. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/134322320-opensource-tuning-your-questions-answered-here-romraider-tactrix.html

I'm really interested in the open source tuning also - the the Tactrix units are $169 new and appear to offer a lot of bang for buck.

I want to do it on my own car, but I'm confused about what needs to be monitored / checked while you finesse the rough tune.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/30/12 1:46 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Is finding sub 3k wrx's even a somewhat common occurrence?

Unfortunately no.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/30/12 2:38 p.m.

Mr. Joshua,

We found ours on a public forum, not an inside deal. There are others out there and they will keep getting cheaper for a few more years, and then they will start getting more expensive.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/30/12 4:20 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Mr. Joshua, We found ours on a public forum, not an inside deal. There are others out there and they will keep getting cheaper for a few more years, and then they will start getting more expensive.

And I am really really glad someone else bought it first because I was seriously considering making this my second unnecessary great purchase from Woody. I agree that the prices are on the way down, but I recently spent a couple of months shopping for and buying one and nothing not totaled is under $3k yet. They are still a screaming deal, but not that cheap.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7NqRhelS1vF3GAkmYj5gycmwmDvp2ExeRHL7yV7wGperuTbWy2GnJw4lmvcWMgeX