1 2 3 4
rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
2/15/24 10:00 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Your not going to convert Philly area guys to Detroit style pizza.

It's like the age old east coast vs west coast car scene arguments. We're set in our ways.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/24 10:07 a.m.
Cooper_Tired said:

Detroit style pizza > all other pizza 

New Haven is laughing out loud at your words, while simultaneously shaking its head and feeling sad for you.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/15/24 11:45 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:
Cooper_Tired said:

New Haven is laughing out loud at your words, while simultaneously shaking its head and feeling sad for you.

best pizza in the US is deep dish from Chicago and I have a chicago sourced news article to prove it. 
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-pizza-spot-ranks-no-1-in-us-in-yelps-top-100-list-5-others-also-make-the-cut/3355986/

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/15/24 11:53 a.m.

We do South Shore Bar Pizzas 'round here when we're wrenching, or at the bar AFTER wrenching. 10" pan pizzas of pure awesomeness. 

I do like most pizza though. It's hard to screw up pizza. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/24 12:49 p.m.
Cooper_Tired said:

Chicago  didn't even notice.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/15/24 1:00 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
2/15/24 1:29 p.m.
Cooper_Tired said:

Today I learned "New Haven Pizza" is a thing. Doesn't look particularly appealing, but I'll try it if I see one

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Dork
2/15/24 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Chicago hot dogs - fantastic 

Chicago pizza - meh

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/15/24 1:51 p.m.

I miss Zuppardi's in West Haven.  I don't miss any pizza from Chicago.  There's lots of great kinds but New Haven style pies are probably my favorite as well.  I also see "Neopolitan" style pizza places showing up here in the Midwest but nobody is opening a Chicago casserole, er, pizza place around here that I know of.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/24 3:33 p.m.

That V12 mustang is going to be a complete hooligan car!!!   I test drove a DB7 v12 manual one my friends shop had for sale. The car definitly had a old school 90s feel to the chassis but that motor was fantastic. Smooth powerful enough and the sounds it made were absolutely fantastic!!  Still want that car!!!  

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
2/15/24 9:16 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I miss Zuppardi's in West Haven.  I don't miss any pizza from Chicago.  There's lots of great kinds but New Haven style pies are probably my favorite as well.  I also see "Neopolitan" style pizza places showing up here in the Midwest but nobody is opening a Chicago casserole, er, pizza place around here that I know of.

Neopolitan is popular because its fast.  one of the top places for neopolitan pizza in Rome is a place called Piccolo Buco and it just opened it's first location and its in the Chicago suburbs.  

best Neopolitan pizza in Rome: https://www.timeout.com/rome/restaurants/best-pizza-in-rome

Chicago location: https://piccolobuco.coopershawk.com/

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/24 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired :

I agree that New Haven pizza doesn't look good. And I'll never understand the seemingly random way that it's sliced. But if you're willing to sacrifice the skin on the roof of your mouth and eat it straight out of the brick oven, there's nothing else like it. 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
2/16/24 10:20 a.m.

Tony Angelo is top-notch in my book.  I hope the guy is just as awesome in real life.  The more I watch his channel the more I  like it.

The latest syclone build is a great example of why I like him.  Buys an S10 & swaps in an Astro van drivetrain & adds a turbo.  Goes very fast, blows it up.  Buys a better Astro Van engine (newer/more powerful) adds go-fast parts to make it even faster, overheats it...tears it all down again.  Most people would have set it on fire & walked away at that point.  Not a hint of anger (on camera at least).  Budget builds & things like dual-engine impalas are why I tune-in. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/16/24 11:05 a.m.
dean1484 said:

That V12 mustang is going to be a complete hooligan car!!!   I test drove a DB7 v12 manual one my friends shop had for sale. The car definitly had a old school 90s feel to the chassis but that motor was fantastic. Smooth powerful enough and the sounds it made were absolutely fantastic!!  Still want that car!!!  

Looks like there's going to be a Stay Tuned episode on tonight for the V12 Mustang.

As for pizza, as long as it isn't St Louis style, I'll give it a try.  And even some St Louis style is okay.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/24 11:08 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

We do South Shore Bar Pizzas 'round here when we're wrenching, or at the bar AFTER wrenching. 10" pan pizzas of pure awesomeness. 

Sweet baby Jeebus. It's like a Philly pizza mated with a Detroit pizza! 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/16/24 3:11 p.m.

It's not a bad assessment! You get the crunchy edges of Detroit with the thin crust of a Philly.

The kicker here is the crust: there are many SSBP joints, but there is constant argument over who does it best. The OG's will tell you the crust has to be cracker-like, and crunchy and thin. Slices can't flop, and they always have to be 10" in diameter. Sauce and cheese goes all the way to the edge, and the sauce/cheese caramelizes for what we call "laced edges".

There are a few places that claim to have done it 1st, and most of them are still around. Lately, there have been newcomers to the SSBP game to pop up and try and usurp the throne. 

This one was from a small spot called Damien's in Hanson, MA that I had a few months back. It's a buffalo chicken pizza, and it was freaking incredible. 

And here's a hamburger and onion from one of the OG's, a place called Poopsies in Pembroke, MA. Been going to this one for over 20 years. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/24 8:14 a.m.

V12 into a Fox Body . . .

Interesting episode -- and goes about the way you'd expect it.  Certainly worth watching.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/24 9:11 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:

Interesting episode -- and goes about the way you'd expect it.  Certainly worth watching.

is this a "stand alone" episode.  or should I got back an watch the ones about acquiring the engine/foxbody first?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/17/24 9:55 a.m.

One thing I'll point out, that engine is 100% Ford. Built by Cosworth, but all Ford design and developed. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/24 10:13 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Tony even says so. Something to the effect of, "There's, like, 700 Fords all over this engine..."

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/17/24 10:33 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Tony even says so. Something to the effect of, "There's, like, 700 Fords all over this engine..."

He does, but also hints that there is a little Aston in it, or something English. Other than Cosworth building it, and some calibration, it was all done at Ford Advanced Powertrain. And so very many parts are off the shelf Taurus 3.0 v6 parts, too. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/24 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Yeah, Tony we are coming over for a Za

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/17/24 3:26 p.m.

One more thing about this project- the T56 was the original manual transmission that was offered in the DB7. So it makes sense that a bellhousing is available. I know some wanted to take it racing, but thankfully they waited for a later, better, car. And by then it had paddle shifting. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/24 5:04 p.m.

alright.  that was pretty cool to watch.

I liked the comment about needing to think about all the systems that are going to have to inhabit a space before deciding where big items are going to live permanently.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/24 6:24 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

is this a "stand alone" episode.  or should I got back an watch the ones about acquiring the engine/foxbody first?

I enjoyed the one where they acquired the car . . . but I don't think it is critical to the understanding of the project.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mCEIdY2Q9vtXIz85ky2zKsh6wLFezONjY7DmWf4Ijg6EINrwSgQEszjhy4uEaGmV