Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/9/12 4:26 p.m.

OK, so... long/short - I dropped the key to my 911 somewhere and I cannot find it anywhere. The 2nd key I had from the original owner turned out not to work. DOH.

So, now I have a car with no keys. How do I get a key made? Remove a door lock and take it in? Pull out the ignition? Have a locksmith come to the house?

How does this work?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
10/9/12 4:28 p.m.

CAAAAAAL THE LOCKSMITH!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/9/12 4:32 p.m.

Pull the ignition and take it to a lock smith, or go to the dealer with your title and have them cut it from the VIN number.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
10/9/12 4:35 p.m.

Yeah. Vin. Unless it's had the ignition changed.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/9/12 4:50 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Yeah. Vin. Unless it's had the ignition changed.

Then just get it rekeyed back to the original combination.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
10/9/12 4:50 p.m.

What year is it? Ford will not keep key codes for longer than 10 years on record. Just an FYI. They do require title AND insurance card in most cases. Here we require 2 forms of ownership.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/9/12 4:52 p.m.

I have yet to provide proof of ownership on my vehicle for new keys. Of course, I am only asking for trace cuts on a new blank.

wae
wae New Reader
10/9/12 4:58 p.m.

I lost the keys to a friend's Volvo once. Had a locksmith come to the car and he was able to make a new set. Took about an hour or so, but it worked and wasn't stupid-expensive.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
10/9/12 5:03 p.m.

pelican sells blank masters with the light on it - the cheap local joints won't have the long blanks, I'm not sure about local locksmiths - dealer with the vin will work - but last time I tried, they didn't stock the old style blanks - but they can punch it out for you if you bring a blank.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/12 8:04 p.m.

Porsche dealer can order new key by VIN. Not as expensive as you would think. What year 911?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/12 8:09 p.m.

By his profile I would guess it's a 1990...

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/12 8:44 p.m.

Take the ignition tumbler out, take it to a locksmith. Period. Hand it to them and say, "could I please get a key originated for this 19xx Porsche 911?" 15 minutes later they'll ask you for about $20 and you'll have a new key or three. Its universally called "originating a key." They take the tumbler apart and match up how to cut the key.

Use the ignition, not the door. I'm not sure about your 911, but many manufacturers use different locks on the door regardless of the fact that it uses the same key. Early AMC/Rambler/Nash cars used the same key for the door and the ignition, but the door lock was engineered so it could use a universal key for dealers in case they locked the keys in the switch or for finance repos. Authorized people could get into the car, but not start it.... supposedly. Long story short, if you have one cut for the ignition it will work in both. If you have one cut for the door, it may or may not work in the ignition.

Using the VIN is hit or miss. I've tried it on many of my older cars and it failed most of the time.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
10/11/12 9:23 p.m.

When I bought my falcon the trunk key was MIA. I pulled the cylinder out and took it to the local locksmith. $25. Problem solved.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/12 10:09 p.m.

I just lost the key to my ATV. I pulled the cylinder, removed the pins, and put it back. Now it works with keys, screwdrivers, sticks...

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
10/11/12 10:23 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pPfSP1IxGIvcsTbJ6V7d8y7OPNgtN4dFNbqGXaO2FXOKFn285kLcU3zji2WPcqkC