BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 10:45 a.m.

Given the rarity of 12A parts these days, how much effort it is to put a 13B in the same place. The car in question is SA/FB based.

My vague memory is whispering something about the front plate being different (and potentially the front mount being a different place - isn't the 13B a tad longer) but apparently the brain isn't braining that well this morning.

Also, someone remind which of the main rebuild parts are problematic to find these days?

j_tso
j_tso Reader
8/15/20 11:14 a.m.

You can put the 12A front cover (not side housing) on a 13B. Then the mounting bracket that bolts to it needs to have its holes stretched out, or you can buy one from Mazdatrix. That'll get the engine in the car.  The distributor and rest of the sensors carry over now.  Next you're going to need 13B exhaust and intake stuff.

edit: You'll also need a 1984-1985 13B oil pan from the GSL-SE.

8/15/20 11:17 a.m.

Intake should be relatively easy, the car already came with the RB side draft Weber or Dell'Orto from the factory.

Not sure what the mounting bracket looks like in the car as it's not exactly an RX7, but I suspect a decent fab place should be able to help if needed.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/15/20 2:32 p.m.

Sounds like someone bought a Rollerskate?

The lower intake is different between the 12a and the 13b due to the rotor housing thickness. The port spacing is different. You can buy the lower by itself. 

bruceman
bruceman Reader
8/15/20 2:58 p.m.

I did this earlier this year.

I used the 12A front mount (massage the holes in the bracket and in the chassis mount) and the 12A header on the 13B after filing those holes on the header. Used the 12A front cover and water pump housing bolted to the 13B. Same transmission.

Just needed the 13B oil pan, changed to a larger diameter clutch plate, and 13B intake manifold.

Concerning rebuild no issues with the 13B but for 12A the rotor housings are virtually nonexistent. 

8/15/20 4:08 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Sounds like someone bought a Rollerskate?

Not quite, but "someone" appears to have a very promising lead on one. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qov0K8M3lVnAjVqzDTaPU8sI3HRiCV0yiX2aQnRzqmS2jyAX5d5zxejfLxZv0aBi