¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/25/15 7:36 a.m.

How strong are these SN95 wheels?

I ask because they're inexpensive and have the proper dimensions for my application, but I plan to hit rocks and trees and E36 M3 with them. Weight is less of a concern. Thoughts? Alternatives?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/25/15 7:53 a.m.

Ranger/BroncoII/Explorer steel wheels?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/25/15 7:55 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

OK, weight is a bit of a concern

Steel wheels could be an option, although most 4wd stuff has too low of an offset.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/15 8:08 a.m.

I've seen enough steel wheels fail at rallycross to never try them for stage rally.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/25/15 8:25 a.m.

The 3 spokes are strong enough but far from light, the lightest OEM rims are the 5 spoke "starfish" rims

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/25/15 8:27 a.m.

Isn't the rule for OEM wheels that they have to be engineered for 20 years of use under arctic/desert conditions carrying 4X their rated capacity? All so granny can't sue Ford for wheel failure when she drives over a curb on her way to church bingo.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/25/15 8:38 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Where is that "rule" written down, who enforces it, and would difference would -50C to 50C temps have on a wheel itself?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/25/15 8:42 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

They're ~20 lbs each right? I understand there are lighter/stronger 15", 5x114.3 wheels out there, but these are consistently available for less than $20 per wheel on craigslist.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/25/15 9:03 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: The 3 spokes are strong enough but far from light, the lightest OEM rims are the 5 spoke "starfish" rims

Are these the ones you're talking about, Aussie?

If so I thought they were remarkably light for a 16 x 7 wheel, I had them on my blue Mark VII.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/25/15 9:04 a.m.

I forgot to add, they're cheap too. I snagged a set with maypop tires on them for $60 on the list of Craig.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/25/15 9:12 a.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to KyAllroad: Where is that "rule" written down, who enforces it, and would difference would -50C to 50C temps have on a wheel itself?

Wheels: There are two NHTSA safety standards that reference wheels (rims), FMVSS No. 110 (tire selection/rims for passenger cars weighing less than 10,000 pounds) and FMVSS No. 120 (tire selection/rims for vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds). The rules are focused on making sure the vehicle has the proper size tire/wheel combination. They do not establish performance requirements, although FMVSS No. 120 includes marking requirements. Most wheel performance/marking requirements have been accomplished through industry standards established by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and other international organizations. SEMA worked with SAE to develop SAE J2530, “Aftermarket Wheels - Passenger Cars and Light Truck - Performance Requirements and Test Procedures” [Published: May 2008]. NOTE: SAE J2530 establishes performance and marking requirements.

See here for more information http://www.sae.org/servlets/product;WebLogicSession=Lp2Hffv031zDhTsB120v3mcyTJGjvGTpjgJMNmLVd4QtckzvVbyG!-1087803089?PROD_TYP=STD&PARENT_BPA_CD=GV&TECH_CD=TIRES

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/25/15 11:51 a.m.

If you want to see why OEMS are paranoid about wheels, look up the story behind Chrysler's Kelsey-Hay recall wheels.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/15 11:56 a.m.

Look at Jeep Wrangler(TJ) wheels. "Canyon" and I think "Ravine" style? 15x8 5x4.5

I remember checking and the offset is about right for a 240SX IIRC...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/15 11:57 a.m.

We run jeep wheels on our rx7. They seem pretty damn strong but are NOT light. Should be correct bolt pattern and offset.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/15 1:21 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: How strong are these SN95 wheels? I ask because they're inexpensive and have the proper dimensions for my application, but I plan to hit rocks and trees and E36 M3 with them. Weight is less of a concern. Thoughts? Alternatives?

I've replaced several SN95 axles due to getting bent sliding into a curb. Have never seen a bent 3 spoke wheel.

Ford makes wheels the exact opposite of German wheels. They are light and bulletproof instead of heavy and peanut-butter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
8/25/15 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

That right there is the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
8/25/15 2:44 p.m.

You'd think Apexcarver worked for NHTSA or something.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WI6aexEe5mXYZ2K1xaM8vW2IIrmgg8bYXu0IwyuTeDBUMs1xlmvZ295r8i7umN4F