1 2 3
STM317
STM317 UltraDork
10/26/19 1:08 p.m.

Nardo gray works on Lambos because they look like fighter jets. I don't feel like it works on a sport sedan. It makes it look less "premium" to me.

Personally, I can't think of a more boring color than non-metallic gray. The tan that Toyota offers on some of their trucks might be a close second. In a world where seemingly everything automotive is somewhere on the gray scale, I miss vibrant colors. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/26/19 9:10 p.m.

Similar color for the Kia Stinger too. I like it.

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
10/26/19 10:16 p.m.

The electrical box reminds me of Mazda's current Polymetal Grey color

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/19 1:53 a.m.

My grandfather had a 1957 F100 - Fleetside, 6 cyl, three on the tree.  Grey, courtesy of Earl Scheib (We'll paint any car for $29.95).

Thing had all the personality of a mashed potato sandwich.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/27/19 7:50 a.m.

Reminds me of Ford’s Dove Grey from the 70-80s.  

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/19 8:38 a.m.

Count me as another big fan. I think Toyota also has a similar color on their trucks.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/27/19 9:33 a.m.
Slippery said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Dang. I love it too. Been looking for the right gray to paint my e36. This looks like it. 

We painted an e36 Rustoleum grey, looks just like that smiley

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/27/19 10:03 a.m.

I like Audi's version, reminds me of gloss primer.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 9:56 a.m.

I came to hijack this thread because I saw a Jeep Renegade on a car hauler yesterday and it was a really nice green color. Apparently they call it "Bikini Metallic" or "Bikini Blue" but it looks green to me. Anyway that's my new favorite currently produced car color.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
10/28/19 5:27 p.m.

I painted a toyota hilux that color and it looked so ba that I painted it again in a different color immediately. Some stuff looks great in nardo, some stuff looks terrible. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/28/19 5:37 p.m.

Hmmm . . . reminds me of the paint color from the F-15E "Strike Eagle" (AKA the "Family Model").  Image result for strike eagle

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd no doubt end up adding a lot of vinyl to it.  It would probably end up with my favorite squadron markings on the rear quarters, white wheels up front and grey one's in the back , ejections seat stickers on both front doors and SUPER bright amber tails.  OK, I talked myself into it.  I like it too.    

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/28/19 5:38 p.m.

Who would have thought that epoxy floor paint would suddenly become all the rage in automotive applications?

Disgusting

Nate90LX
Nate90LX Reader
10/28/19 7:01 p.m.

I love the non-metallic greys and tans that  nearly everyone has now. The Scion (at the time) FRS was available in a non- metallic grey (I think it was called Concrete). They also had a charcoal grey metallic called Asphalt. But they missed having a brown and calling it Dirt. . 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/28/19 7:14 p.m.

Count me in the "I love this color" crowd. The Chrysler color works well on both Jeeps and their muscle sedans/coupes. There's a Grand Cherokee that always parks outside my work with some factory black colored wheels that looks gnarly.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
10/28/19 10:40 p.m.

I remember in high school, a guy has a lime colored 33 Willys, it was different.

former520
former520 HalfDork
10/29/19 1:42 a.m.
Slippery said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Dang. I love it too. Been looking for the right gray to paint my e36. This looks like it. 

I painted an 84 GTI Rustoleum 'Smoke Grey' - looked exactly like it!  Every car I see in that color makes me think 'rattlecanned'.  

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
10/29/19 7:33 a.m.

Oh great, another shade of pavement!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Disagree, that is already the perfect color for that car

RobertElder
RobertElder New Reader
10/29/19 8:27 a.m.

Just wrapped my GT-R a similar color. I agree - love the Nardo look. This was done with Avery's Gloss Dark Grey.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 11:12 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Allen Bradley motor control centers... thanks for making me see these during my weekend.

Audi has offered that non-metallic gray off and on for ages. 

My favorite color right now is the Volvo Maple Brown Metallic.  Looks boring in most online picture I've seen, but absolutely stunning in person. This picture almost does it justice: 

that car could get me back into a volvo.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
10/29/19 11:27 a.m.

Looks like primer to me too.  I'm much more fond of deep metallics, like this:

or this:

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/19 2:42 p.m.
Slippery said:
Lof8 - Andy said:

Got any pics you can post?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 2:43 p.m.
j_tso said:

The electrical box reminds me of Mazda's current Polymetal Grey color

With a name like that, it should be a color option for a Pontiac T1000.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/29/19 5:52 p.m.

I painted my Trans Am Audi Nimbus gray about 10 years ago, it was def unique at the time and now everyone is doing it. It got a lot of mixed reactions similar to here. It is still one of my favorite neutral color (or lack thereof) styles. 

"Oh man that's awesome looking!"

"Why did you put clear coat on primer, are you lazy?"

"Whoa! That looks rad!"

"Primer?!? Schmuck!"

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/19 7:45 a.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

I'm with you on both of those!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners