HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
5/7/11 8:03 p.m.

But not really, I already knowz lotsa bout dem!

I am looking for a tire that has (in order of importance):

1. Good ride quality

2. Good grip

3. Low road noise

Preferably in a 225/50R16 size. I would assume it would come out of the Extreme/Ultra high performance tire categories. Being used in the summer only, wet traction is a non-factor (if it has good wet traction, BONUS)! It will also probably see 10 or so track days/time attack days this year (but that's not a deciding factor really as I won't be winning there).

And..... go!

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/7/11 8:17 p.m.

I'm about to put Continental DWs on my car. Around $130-140 each. I thought about Star Specs but the RE-01Rs they will replace started out noisy and got worse, and now that I have a whole 'nuther car to autocross, my daily does not need that kind of grip.

If you're looking at track days and don't care about wet grip, I'd look at Star Specs or RE-11s. But they will NOT be quiet.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/7/11 8:29 p.m.

I have had real good luck with Pirelli P-Zero Neros as a street do it all tire. Ride Quality Improved, great grip (for a street non competition tire) and didn't run me out of my car. Pirelli P-Zero Nero homepage

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
5/7/11 8:30 p.m.
Duke wrote: I'm about to put Continental DWs on my car. Around $130-140 each.

Do tell? I've heard a lot about these not being heard... a lot...

They sound like they have really good ride characteristics, excellent noise levels, and still grip pretty decently. In fact, didn't GRM do a recent article on their wet handling capabilities?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/7/11 8:34 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/top-tires/

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/7/11 8:37 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Unless my search function is screwy there are no Continental tires in that comparison

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/7/11 8:43 p.m.
FlightService wrote: In reply to JoeyM: Unless my search function is screwy there are no Continental tires in that comparison

That was a reply to the original post, which didn't say anything about Continentals.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/7/11 8:47 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

AAHHHHHH, I see said the blind man who finally opened his eyes and turned on the lights.

My bad.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/7/11 8:54 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Duke wrote: I'm about to put Continental DWs on my car. Around $130-140 each.
Do tell? I've heard a lot about these not being heard... a lot... They sound like they have really good ride characteristics, excellent noise levels, and still grip pretty decently. In fact, didn't GRM do a recent article on their wet handling capabilities?

I put DWSs (the 4-season version) on my wife's TSX and they are quiet, have good ride, and great daily-driver grip under all circumstances - dry, wet, and the best non-snow tires I have ever driven in the snow. Every bit as good as my 5-year old Michelin Alpins, no lie.

Since I already have the Alpins for my daily I am going with the 3-season version, the DW. They are supposed to be great in dry and wet and judging by their brethren I believe it. It will probably be a week till I get them ordered and installed, but I'll let you know after that.

Ultimately, though, I expect less grip than Star Specs or similar would have given.

Allan
Allan
5/8/11 12:54 a.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

I just put a set of the summer Continental DW's on my Mazda6, and I'm loving them. They are indeed VERY quiet and smooth, haven't had much chance to see if they are as good in the heavy rain as they were supposed to be, but so far they do very well in light rain.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/11 10:06 a.m.

wait... whoa.... What kind of car are we talking about? There is a big difference in what I'd recommend if it were an E30/Miata versus a Monte Carlo.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
5/8/11 11:33 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: wait... whoa.... What kind of car are we talking about? There is a big difference in what I'd recommend if it were an E30/Miata versus a Monte Carlo.

poobabababaruuuuu

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
5/10/11 4:14 p.m.

I just found something that makes me giggle:

I can get Yoko A048's for cheaper than RE11's... should I say screw it and run those during the summer?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJID4H9JvSBCky1OPeBN5UdheHYDtPM1JvwkTmq32kx54qf0ga3dVP8jFMEo5RkK