1 2
Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
7/10/11 1:59 p.m.

Since there was a post about the cheapest car you wouldn't modify, I thought I would post this too. What is the least number of cars (say any street legal production cars with over 250 produced) that you could be happy with if those were the only cars you could have, and what are they (and briefly what modifications if any)?

Here is my list:

1. Citroen SM-Converted to EFI, coil pack ignition and whatever reliability mods possible (and probably some different wheels in a size that tires are easier to find)
  2. Fullsize Wagoneer pre 1976-pre drive by wire 6.0 LSX, manual transmission, Recaro seats, otherwise mostly stock looking.
  3. Mercedes 450SEL 6.9-stock except for a smaller steering wheel and Ronal R9 wheels
  4. Fiat Abarth OT1000 or OT1300 coupe or sedan-stock
  5. Mercedes 300SD (W126)-painted silver with blacked out trim, Ronal R9 wheels, cloth interior with Recaro Ideal C seats.

I think if I could have those 5 cars, I wouldn't really care about having any others.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/10/11 3:29 p.m.

Tow vehicle, trailer, race car, sports car as daily driver that can go to the track for non-competition events, wagon for the wife and a motorcycle. Oh! One project race car to always have one almost ready just in case the daily and the race car are both busted. And possibly a second and third project car... and a motorcycle project.... karts! I forgot karts........

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
7/10/11 3:29 p.m.

I have 2, and I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/10/11 3:30 p.m.

Truck, dirt motorbike, street motorbike, race car, road car.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
7/10/11 3:31 p.m.

I think more of categories of cars - 1. dog hauler, suv, tow vehicle

1. entertaining street/commuter

2. winter commuter

3. competition car

4. motorcycle

Swap brands at will

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
7/10/11 3:56 p.m.

I'm like Jay Leno, never can have too many cars. Each vehicle has it's own persona/virtue that makes it what it is. So to get me down to just a few is about like trying to move the earth from its axis. It just ain't going to happen.

byron12
byron12 Reader
7/10/11 4:14 p.m.

I need a go cart, an offroader, a race car, a tow vehicle/motorhome/sports car/several vintage cars/a pontoon boat, a speed boat, a piper cub, a bigger airplane for long trips, one of those train track buggies, a vintage scooter, and golf cart for spectating at races. Oh and a rally car and really fast station wagon for daily driving....

byron12
byron12 Reader
7/10/11 4:16 p.m.

Oh yeah I forgot a duece and a half pulling a live 105 millimeter howitzer...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/10/11 4:17 p.m.

I'm grateful that I'm in the portion of the global population who is fortunate enough to own cars. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/10/11 5:20 p.m.
  1. Ford Raptor

2. New track car built to 1971 Can Am ruleset with new technology.

3. Honda CBR250R

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/10/11 7:27 p.m.
  1. P71 slightly better than stock in every way, but still reliable.

2. Turbo miata.

3. Cucv

I'm over half way there!

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
7/10/11 8:05 p.m.

If I have 200 acres and the cash, I'd have a 200 acre salvage yard all to myself. And I'd share some of it with you guys too.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/10/11 8:11 p.m.
  1. Reliable daily driver.
  2. Wife's reliable daily driver
  3. Fun nice day driver / motorcycle. (optional)

That's it, really. Heck, if I lived in a place with decent public transportation, I could easily get by with only #3.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/10/11 8:48 p.m.

1 My DD (something fun)

2 Wife's DD (something fun too, happy wife happy life.)

3 Tow vehicle

4 Race Car/HPDE etc

5 Off road car (Jeep, buggy etc.

corytate
corytate Reader
7/10/11 8:58 p.m.

st185 alltrac celica completely built
e36 or e46 m3, race prepped
aw111 mr2 for dirt funs
69 olds 442 restored and beautiful
newer cummins for towing
and a Nice relaxing s60 or s4 for a daily driver. completely stock.
so there is 6, I think I would be good to go with that
...at least for a little while

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
7/10/11 9:02 p.m.

Easy:

Reliable toaster to get to work with no worries. currently a Mazda Protege. Minimal maintenance and drive it into the ground over ten years. Replace as necessary.

A TOY car that is ready to go every day. At this point a MGB GT that serves as regular summer driver; not kept on any limited insurance policy so I can drive it where I want when I want.

A project car that gives me something to do int he shop. Currently a 1962 bugeye.

Any more cars would just dilute my time and money so that this was more a chore than a hobby.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/10/11 9:18 p.m.

I have a huge case of automotive ADD, so my yard is PLENTY full, but I've never been happier then when I owned a total of 0.

I had the use of a borrowed Kawasaki 125 which my family (4 of us) used as the family car.

Life was good when it was simple.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
7/10/11 9:35 p.m.
  1. DD/sportscar. Have it. 04' Civic Si hatch.

2. Fiat X1/9 street legal, K24 Frank.

3. My own design 1400 lb middy, K24 Frank.

4. Work vehicle, small truck/suv, able to tow light trailer.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
7/10/11 9:44 p.m.
  1. EF Civic hatch track toy (I am biased) that can double as street car in a pinch. Full cage can be a bitch at the grocery

2.Fullsize van to tow/ camp in/ do the snow thing in/ haul stuff with GM2500 with the 6.0, or maybe the 7.3 powerstroked E350 with the U-joint off road 4wd conversion (http://ujointoffroad.com/ it's a prety slick conversion)

1. 2011 Mustang GT Convertable (SWSBO's dream car, happy her = happy me!)

2. Fairly fun and economical 4 door daily for afor-mentioned segnificant other think Forester XT, Civic Si, GTI, GLI

3. 1974 VW type 181 Thing weekend cruiser (my first car and the one that got away)

I could be quite content with this stable, although I would prefer more.

Grizz
Grizz Reader
7/10/11 9:53 p.m.

I'm content with one, and it doesn't even run right now.

BUT, if I think about it:

1. Truck/Suv, they're quite useful, don't need a biggun, my current 1/2 ton is probably more than I need right now.

2. Funbox, a little crapcan I can be stupid in, I really miss the fun I had with my Mirage.

3. Project, something to keep me away from the DD/useful vehicle. The ideas are rampant, my wants vary every day. I've gone(Idea wise) from a track slut S2000 to a sleepered 60s Dodge Lancer with a turbo /6.

I've got #1, plans abound to get the others, I figure #2 will be the first to be fulfilled and if I don't dd it, it'll grab #3 as well.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/10/11 10:04 p.m.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
7/10/11 11:02 p.m.

Three. Wife's daily, my daily that doubles as an offroad vehicle and tow vehicle, and one toy. I'm at 2 running vehicles now. I have options sitting in my yard for the 3rd.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
7/10/11 11:06 p.m.

My 3rd gen RX7 My Spec Miata My tow vehicle Some sort of daily driver. - using the wife's Mini right now.

That is enough. The more cars I have the more time I piss away on maintaining them...

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
7/10/11 11:39 p.m.

I'm quite happy with a car and a motorcycle. I can haul most everything I need with the back seats of the Focus folded down. If I need to move something larger, which is rare, I'll borrow or rent a truck. In that case I'll probably need a second set of hands anyway.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/11/11 12:54 a.m.

A Musclecar-1970 Challenger R/T(with a 600hp Indy V8, Keisler 5 spd, Hotchkis suspension-while remaining identical to the Vanishing Point car externally

A Ferrari-330 GTC fits the bill-one of the most reliable, best driving of the the iconic era

A vintage racer-'67 Porsche 911S-hot motor, 911R lightening and partial appearance

A Hot Hatch-Shelby GLHS's fit that bill

A Corvette-a '67 small block with side exhaust,ac and period mods will do

A Brit- a Jensen Interceptor with a NASCAR mech built mill sort of scratches that itch

Far East-why, a 510, of course. spec it out to 2.5 Challenge

An SUV-an ex Beverly Hills PD Pursuit spec Tahoe

A work vehicle-Ford E350 is perfect

Off Road- Holland & Holland special edition Range Rover

A road trip car for me mates-'69 CHP Polara-cigars,shotguns and Vegas

and a few more newish DDs and assorted other classics ought to do for now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UvGpr8yjta0FBKNxGtDChq4Mvz6ovrf2CKpbU3uVikHOzQrVrdGIRz2ii20gr74k