1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/20 6:52 p.m.

I've probably posted a pic like this at least 20 times since I've been here. I want to do it.

Building a chassis from the ground up isn't possible. What about "last year's" used chassis? Something that is no longer competitive and then cast off? I want to do what rRoadkill did with the NASCarlo. Drop a body on an already built frame. I have no idea what to look for. Are there any chassis build without left side bias? What about an asphalt Modified instead? I don't know any chassis builders to look for. Or even where to look.

Point me in the right direction.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/3/20 7:13 p.m.

Look for a vintage dirt modified, that should have a straight-up chassis.

6/3/20 7:16 p.m.
6/3/20 7:37 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 7:46 p.m.

I've picked up two different used circle track rollers with tube frames and lots of nice parts for $600 each.  One had wilwood wide 5 stuff all around and a winters quick change.  I occasionally search cl and fb for "stock car" "dirt" and "oval" because it's a way to get thousands of $ in parts for hundreds of dollars 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Exactly.  Bodys are relatively easy. 40 Ford with the bottom 1/3 rotted away? Win! 

Yeah,  to most people, thats a stock car. Looked on BaT, but most of those prices are mint.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/3/20 11:29 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I've picked up two different used circle track rollers with tube frames and lots of nice partsu for $600 each.  One had wilwood wide 5 stuff all around and a winters quick change.  I occasionally search cl and fb for "stock car" "dirt" and "oval" because it's a way to get thousands of $ in parts for hundreds of dollars 

Someone someday is going to teach me how to do searches. 
I just go on sites like racing junk, Hemmings,  and stumble around until I get frustrated.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/20 11:32 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You aren't alone.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/20 6:04 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

I've picked up two different used circle track rollers with tube frames and lots of nice parts for $600 each.  One had wilwood wide 5 stuff all around and a winters quick change.  I occasionally search cl and fb for "stock car" "dirt" and "oval" because it's a way to get thousands of $ in parts for hundreds of dollars 

The big thing to consider when looking for chassis- weight.  DM and EM weights are pretty darned light, especially relative to most race cars out there.  

6/4/20 6:35 a.m.

www.SearchTempest.com is your friend or could become your enemy. Insert a keyword, zip code and search radius, then let the games begin. It searches CraigsList listings and can become a horrible rabbit hole to go down. You've been warned!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
6/4/20 7:24 a.m.

For example, this is local to me......

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2700763123491528/

I just search FB Marketplace with the word "chassis" and things like this show up routinely.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/4/20 7:30 a.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/4/20 7:39 a.m.

Just needs a motor and your choice of body........

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1144113669257886/

I'd say this one is the best of the three I posted. For whatever reasons, roundy-round stuff is available cheap. I went to a swap meet in Ionia, Mi. last fall and was surprised at the prices for stuff like suspension components and wheels. I bought 15x10 wide-5 wheels for ten bucks a piece. Several vendors had rebuildable  AFCO shocks for $15-25.  There were all kinds of other pieces at really nice prices.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/4/20 8:57 a.m.

Where does one find information on these roundyround swap meets?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/4/20 8:57 a.m.

Yeah...I don't Facebook. Which limits me greatly these days. Skunk, I can't see any of those links, unfortunately. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/20 9:38 a.m.

You need to talk to Gumby.  That man is a walking encyclopedia of chassis knowledge.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/4/20 9:40 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Just needs a motor and your choice of body........

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1144113669257886/

I'd say this one is the best of the three I posted. For whatever reasons, roundy-round stuff is available cheap. I went to a swap meet in Ionia, Mi. last fall and was surprised at the prices for stuff like suspension components and wheels. I bought 15x10 wide-5 wheels for ten bucks a piece. Several vendors had rebuildable  AFCO shocks for $15-25.  There were all kinds of other pieces at really nice prices.

That one does look nice.  

pirate
pirate HalfDork
6/4/20 9:43 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Where does one find information on these roundyround swap meets?

Call you local oval track or look on their website. Some of the tracks have a classified section where local racers buy and sell parts and cars. Also some tracks schedule a swap meet after the season ends for those who want to unload cars/parts and want to start building for the next season

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/4/20 9:45 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

You need to talk to Gumby.  That man is a walking encyclopedia of chassis knowledge.

Quoted for Truth

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
6/4/20 10:43 a.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/4/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

To me one of the best pieces of a modified Chassis is a quick change rear end.  
Going rate for a used one  is $600- $1000 but at that price most will be lockers.  Open tube is lighter. Closer to a sprint car rear end. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/4/20 12:36 p.m.

la la la la la la la.

I am not listening to this.  Or reading this.  Even if I want a car with giant tires all the way around.

la la la la la la la.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/4/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I saw a posting for it on Facebook. For those that don't use FB, you're missing out on a lot of stuff for sale. Locally, Craigslist is way down on postings and most sellers have gravitated to FB Marketplace instead.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
6/4/20 3:45 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Apexcarver :

I saw a posting for it on Facebook. For those that don't use FB, you're missing out on a lot of stuff for sale. Locally, Craigslist is way down on postings and most sellers have gravitated to FB Marketplace instead.

^^^^^very much this^^^^^^

In another thread, I was noting that the prices for used cars had shot up since March. But in reality,it's just that the good priced stuff is now all on FB Marketplace. Craigslist and the likes only have dealers and overpriced listings on them now.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
6/4/20 3:50 p.m.

What would be the difference in a modified chassis vs stock car chassis? Could you get a stock car and leave off the front sheet metal? If that could accomplish your goals it might open more options for you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bccdDsBklbuswwhCOdvZV0zBUY2TB8SZZWW1nRg5IcLY7mRCANDLYCDjzJrrDVAU