1 2
Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/23/16 10:09 a.m.

I don't like trailers for a variety of reasons. One solution to the question of how to haul one's car without trailers is to make something like this (minus the extra trailer of course):

Or if you trend something brawnier, you could convert a 4WD to FWD truck like this:

So my question for the GRM intelligentsia is if someone were going to look for a rear-ended vehicle to do the car hauler conversion on, which would be the favored candidates?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/23/16 10:16 a.m.

HEMTT has my vote:

Barring that, maybe something vintage and comfortable:

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/23/16 10:23 a.m.

The Eldorado seems like a good choice - with that 500ci engine there's a lot of torque for hauling loads.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/23/16 10:28 a.m.

Yep. One of the 70's FWD GM V8 cars could be a promising candidate. At least that would get gas-mileage vs gas-yardage like the HEMTT. Some were even diesels.

A few years ago, there was a dropped-tail converted E350 box truck for sale on a BMW forum that was really cool. If that were still for sale right now, I might be in trouble.

Kreb
11/23/16 10:35 a.m.

I live in a hilly region of the country where I'd be concerned about the transmissions on most FWD minivans, so the V8 options do have their appeal. The pimp aspect of a Cadillac car hauler's pretty cool too.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
11/23/16 10:37 a.m.

I'm thinking that all the newish FWD big SUV's would be great for this. Ford Flex, GMC Acadia/Traverse, etc...

Or something Volvo based.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
11/23/16 10:49 a.m.

Saabs are cheap and plentiful:

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/23/16 10:59 a.m.
docwyte
docwyte Dork
11/23/16 11:06 a.m.

Why don't you like trailers? Seems like the easy button vs doing a bunch of fabrication work to try and make something that already exists and does the job better...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/16 11:37 a.m.

Pick a minivan, just about any minivan.

Hmm, I wonder why this picture didn't show up in your first post until after I posted it.

Anyway, it's still the right answer.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/16 11:45 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Barring that, maybe something vintage and comfortable:

Mmm yes. Yes this is good.

If you're going FWD then start with something that was originally FWD. It'll have the weight distribution to help the front wheels hook up, and the engine power won't be turning 90 degrees for no reason (Edit: Unless it's an El Dorado of course)

jstand
jstand HalfDork
11/23/16 12:33 p.m.

Something that has body on frame construction would be easier to fabricate from, but not common with front wheel drive.

What about a Ridgeline?

That would eliminate any fab to the passenger compartment, while starting with something that is already mainly front driven. Although I don't know if they came in a FWD only version.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
11/23/16 12:44 p.m.

Find a FWD RV chassis, add cab and bed of choosing.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/16 12:56 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Saabs are cheap and plentiful:

Now it becomes clear exactly WHY I made large error by scrapping a 9-5 body with buggered up rear suspension...

I think something with more torques, bigger CVs, and bigger brakes would probably be better suited, but those are really cool!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/23/16 12:59 p.m.

I want a copy of TV Tommy Ivo's Dodge L700 based hauler.

Read more about it here. Not sure I'd copy the way he backed the 'Vette off the roof, or the manual steering (!), but it's got plenty of room and plenty of pizazz.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
11/23/16 1:10 p.m.

I always liked the idea of having something like Buster.

Not sure what bus I would want to base it on.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/23/16 1:39 p.m.

I'd go with something with a TH425 (Eldorado, Toronado, GMC Motorhome) or just buy a ramp truck. If you cut the back off a 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 pickup I'd be inclined to recommend something with a Dana 60 under it, not a IFS GM truck with the aluminum case 9.25" front diff.

Kreb
11/23/16 3:54 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Why don't you like trailers? Seems like the easy button vs doing a bunch of fabrication work to try and make something that already exists and does the job better...

Because I'm one of those guys who has trouble pushing the easy button. The hard button always seem more interesting.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
11/24/16 10:37 a.m.
Kreb wrote:
docwyte wrote: Why don't you like trailers? Seems like the easy button vs doing a bunch of fabrication work to try and make something that already exists and does the job better...
Because I'm one of those guys who has trouble pushing the easy button. The hard button always seem more interesting.

As proven by swapping a perfectly good Miata for the frankenfiat

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/16 10:50 a.m.
Kreb wrote: I live in a hilly region of the country where I'd be concerned about the transmissions on most FWD minivans, so the V8 options do have their appeal. The pimp aspect of a Cadillac car hauler's pretty cool too.

The TH425 from an Eldo was also used in motorhomes.

Trans shop we work with has resealed a bunch. Not rebuilt, they haven't ever seen one have a mechanical failure or even wear out, so they haven't ever had to rebuild one.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/16 10:55 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Quick CL search... http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5875188508.html

I may be looking at that one this weekend

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/24/16 10:59 a.m.

A REO or some other COE over a FWD propulsion with bagged rear suspension that allows it to kneel for loading.

Negates the need for ramps (I hate ramps) and presents a shallow incline for easy loading.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
11/24/16 8:14 p.m.

I used a school bus for my drag car (67 dodge Dart) set up a second one to haul 3 dwarf cars at one time as well but never used it. all fit inside like a trailer but reg as RV's.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/24/16 9:18 p.m.

I think chopped school bus is the answer.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
11/24/16 9:25 p.m.

What about an old Class A motorhome with a hole cut into the back for a swing down steel door, huge windows on each side, and the camping portion gutted and then turned into a replica of a period correct showroom for your car?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cE69mCz6qB2DkZvGO9TC5InlN9IErV190yxtyWiBcuTLAmVHVERJAIRGP6AVdaay