_
_ HalfDork
8/8/19 3:31 p.m.

I am willing to shell out the money to inexpensively wrap my Miata. I just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with the Vvivid brand, or any of the cheaper eBay vinyl wraps.

I’m not looking to spend a ton of money, I’m trying to sell the house and a car so that I can move, hopefully sooner than later. I just want the car to be decent looking so it sells easier. 

One side point- still have a dent I tried to pull out in the rear quarter panel. It’s not the smoothest looking. How well will the vinyl adhere to this? Can I just work it into the small crevices of the dented area? 

I’m not worried about the dents and creases showing. More worried about getting the vinyl stuck on. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/8/19 3:36 p.m.

And does any of the really cheap vinyls come off easier than the others? Its relevant to this thread, primarily for the next owner of the op miata, and my challenge car.....

_
_ HalfDork
8/8/19 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I suppose this is relevant to my interest as well. I am not known for being a very nice person, but I certainly am not sinister.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
8/8/19 4:15 p.m.

Interested as well. My wrx needs a new look but I can’t take too much of a budget hit from the racecar.

_
_ HalfDork
8/8/19 5:08 p.m.

Sounds like GRM could do a long term test. It only cost 200 bucks to wrap a Miata (yourself, you know what forum this is!). You need 30‘ x 5‘

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/8/19 6:07 p.m.
Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
8/8/19 6:43 p.m.

The first link John Welsh posted is mine.  Feel free to ask questions in my thread.  I used Vivvid brand vinyl.

cbaclawski
cbaclawski New Reader
8/9/19 6:32 a.m.

For what it's worth, just yesterday I bought some "wrap film" to do the roof of my RX-8 where the paint had faded.  Long story short, after about 2-3 hours of sweating and swearing, I ended up balling up and throwing away the film in disgust.  In fairness I had no idea what I was doing, but it was a lot harder than I anticipated.  

Just going to plasti-dip it...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/9/19 8:26 a.m.

In reply to cbaclawski :

The sweating is a big tip off... 

Vinyl is easiest to work at a not too hot temp. I applied mine outdoors but was limited to mostly early morning or late evenings. Shade is needed too since you don't want the body panels to get too hot.

The best environment is to apply while indoors

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/9/19 8:33 a.m.

I put Vivid <sp> top-shelf carbon fiber look vinyl on my wife's Yeti cup.  4 years of dishwasher abuse later and it still looks great.

That said, I vinyl-wrapped our Lemons car in black.  It was a royal bitch of a job and looks like crap.  There is a real skill to applying it to large areas and compound curves, trim, and angles.  

I had a very detail-oriented helper for that project and he agreed that vinyl wrapping another car is a 'hell-to-the-no.'

Much respect to people who are good at this.  High quality vinyl is much easier to apply.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
10/17/20 1:25 p.m.

I didnt have the skills so went with plastidip myself. VERY happy with the outcome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
klyOid4VwUVpbKZuzPQ5snd0vkWKTmEis13ZLsQbLYJvdGg8TatZEGPbxIlu2XCG