1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/17/13 5:39 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: Well, to be fair, this is why I always pony up the extra $100 for Safelite or another major auto glass company versus Joe Local. I'd have also been on the phone the day after install if it was making such a weird noise the whole time. But, live and learn I guess.

I was on the phone. They made two additional visits out to try to track down and fix the issue.

Here's where it gets drama-filled.

The installer is a best-buddy of my best friend and an e-friend of mine. His father owns the business. Friend has since left the business. He apologized for not being able to fix it 100%, and advised that i call his father (this was right when the initial install went bad.) about it.

Called father, got a call back about 3 weeks later. I returned callback, left another message. Have left probably 3-4 messages since then, including the one last week asking if he'd be interested in replacing it again, paid work since i'd have to replace it either way. Figured he'd be interested in making it right for profit, but still haven't gotten a response.

It's not like i left this one to stew. That said, i could have gone a little harder with it, maybe driven across town with it and left it on their doorstep or something, but many attempts were made to contact.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/13 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Lame. Yeah, not much you can do at this point (although I would've broken their damn door down after a week). I've developed a rule of not doing business with friends where labor is involved for that very reason. It's a lot easier to get a big company with deep pockets to right their mistakes when E36 M3 hits the fan.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
9/17/13 8:35 p.m.

Yikes. Based on the picture that is the boxy Cherokee and the black molding has 4 square corners and it goes around all 4 sides of the glass? Those are quite finicky and take some patience to get in there to avoid both issues you're having. The issues arent related to one shop or another, I've cleaned up quite a few messes from other local shops as well as safelite after people get fed up with them and end up in your position. You are way more patient than anyone could have expected with how long this has been going on.

The rust can be remedied but removing the glass without cracking it is tricky and not always garanteed. I see this stuff a fair bit on cars coming from out of state, as long as its not bubbling it can be remedied.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/17/13 9:14 p.m.

I'm now told that the safelite tech already treated the rust inside where the glass sits, hence the extra time for install. It was the same tech that was here yesterday, he made me feel confident in him.

I drove the truck tonite, it's whisper quiet and the install looks very professional and oem.

Unfortunately, it also looks like the other shop may be no more. I'm going to run by their location on Thursday and investigate.

It's looking like I'm going to have to cross my fingers and wait til Spring to repair, though.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
9/17/13 9:21 p.m.

That's one problem I have with my chosen vocation, its nota hard job to do in general but it often requires more effort and attention to detail than a lot of people are willing to expend. That's where most of the independent shops go wrong and sully the name for those of us that try hard. There are tines where I feel like "So this is what Mike Holmes feels like looking atother people's work".

I'm glad the last guy was able to remedy everything.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/17/13 9:42 p.m.

Well... he fixed my initial complaints, but I need to call him and ask if he did anything about the rust in the frame.

I'm still going to need to repair the bubbles either way. Should be doable.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
9/18/13 6:12 a.m.

As long as the dude knocked off the flaky E36 M3 and painted what was left, I'd consider it fixed and move on. That's all I would have done for my personal vehicle.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 8:23 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: As long as the dude knocked off the flaky E36 M3 and painted what was left, I'd consider it fixed and move on. That's all I would have done for my personal vehicle.

That's my thought at the moment concerning the frame itself. The bubbles on the roof i'd still like to address in Spring, but if i don't have to take the glass back out, i'll consider this whole thing a learning experience/win. There's a couple bubbles in the back from a previous hailstorm that i missed anyways, was going to grind the whole top and just bedline or something before putting on a rack.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1JyTQV2d2wFNBut9QO4XF3MQzplKznNKGT7IUi9HSYRbx6ec97HDLZY8mmRCstph