1 2
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/17 11:54 a.m.

Hmmm....

So I'm sitting around this morning in my underwear googling Jaguars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ai0uSj_OVE

I remember how McQueen's wife wrote in her book, My Husband My Friend, that she was amazed when this car sold at an auction for $147,000. Now its apparently a 20 to 25 million dollar car.

Problem is, I don't have 20 to 25 million dollars. But google, which never lies, tells me the wheelbase on this car is 90.55"

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=jaguar+xkss+wheelbase

Apparently, the wheelbase on my miata is similar:

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1366&bih=651&q=90+miata+wheelbase&oq=90+miata+wheelbase&gs_l=hp.3..0i22i30k1.1188153.1188153.5.1188613.1.0.0.1.1.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.57.IDpukc6bPUI&pbx=1&cad=cbv&bvch=u&sei=iB-SWMiXEseUmQHa1rOoAQ

Newer miatas of course have a slightly larger wheelbase, 91.7" for a 2010 model for example.

Anyone else see where I'm going with this? I see some silly body kits for the miata out there but why hasn't someone made a body kit for the XKSS??

PS: I've watched quite a few Leno videos but I don't think I've ever seen him happier then when he was driving McQueen's car.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/1/17 12:12 p.m.
JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
2/1/17 12:18 p.m.

No, XKSS is better.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/17 12:20 p.m.

It's important to note that this isn't really a body kit that goes on a Miata. It's a spaceframe that accepts Miata parts. This is important because the quality of said spaceframe will have a big effect on the end result. For example, the US Exocet is 7 times stiffer than the UK one even though they look very similar. Guess which one works better?

The hard points of the Miata chassis are what limit you if you want to simply have a body kit. The spaceframe approach makes that a bit easier. I suspect an XKSS would require the new spaceframe.

And yes, XKSS is better than DB1.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
2/1/17 12:26 p.m.

And how do we make a Miata sound like that XKSS? :drool:

Keith Tanner
2/1/17 12:29 p.m.

Just checked - the track width is liable to be a problem unless you cheat. Cars are wider than they was. The XKSS was 1270mm, the NA Miata is 1410/1428. That's 5-6".

Of course, the DBR1 was closer to the XKSS than the Miata, so it's certainly possible. You just want to make sure you don't end up with the equivalent of the Kokopelli Lotus 11.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/17 12:33 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

I disagree but I still like you.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/17 12:35 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's important to note that this isn't really a body kit that goes on a Miata. It's a spaceframe that accepts Miata parts. This is important because the quality of said spaceframe will have a big effect on the end result. For example, the US Exocet is 7 times stiffer than the UK one even though they look very similar. Guess which one works better? The hard points of the Miata chassis are what limit you if you want to simply have a body kit. The spaceframe approach makes that a bit easier. I suspect an XKSS would require the new spaceframe. And yes, XKSS is better than DB1.

Understood. Yes, grafting a body kit onto an existing Miata body would not work as well, agreed.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/17 12:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Just checked - the track width is liable to be a problem unless you cheat. Cars are wider than they was. The XKSS was 1270mm, the NA Miata is 1410/1428. That's 5-6". Of course, the DBR1 was closer to the XKSS than the Miata, so it's certainly possible. You just want to make sure you don't end up with the equivalent of the Kokopelli Lotus 11.

You're even better than Google. These issues can be overcome. Now get crackin....At your next staff meeting im counting on you bringing this idea up. Your bosses will probably be so thrilled with you they'll make you employee of the month or something. If you need to fly me out there to do some "consulting" work, just let me know.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/1/17 1:06 p.m.

Are you guys saying that this:

is sexier than this?

you guys are weird but I still like you

Keith Tanner
2/1/17 1:08 p.m.

We are saying exactly that. As Sir Mix-A-Lot once said, "36-24-36? Only if she's 5'3".

This would be a really interesting thing to build. Start with a body and make everything fit. The sound will be a challenge.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
2/1/17 1:24 p.m.

You have to see an XKSS in person. I like the Sir Mix A Lot analogy.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
2/1/17 1:32 p.m.

Predator Performance used to make a D-Jag kit based on the XJ6...

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
2/1/17 1:38 p.m.

You know you guys are basically fighting about this, right?

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/17 1:42 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Are you guys saying that this: is sexier than this? you guys are weird but I still like you

When in doubt, do what Steve would do...

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/17 1:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We are saying exactly that. As Sir Mix-A-Lot once said, "36-24-36? Only if she's 5'3". This would be a really interesting thing to build. Start with a body and make everything fit. The sound will be a challenge.

Take that Exocet thing, make a body. Boom. You get a great parking spot for a month. Youre welcome.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/17 1:47 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

If it helps you any I'm on your side. More likely to make you doubt your sanity though.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/1/17 1:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We are saying exactly that. As Sir Mix-A-Lot once said, "36-24-36? Only if she's 5'3". This would be a really interesting thing to build. Start with a body and make everything fit. The sound will be a challenge.

Can I upvote this? I need to be able to upvote this.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
2/1/17 2:12 p.m.

Miata NA tub, remove front frame rails at the firewall (see Nohome's build), fabricate slightly longer front space frame like a Jaguar E-type, insert all aluminum 2.5 liter Verona straight six,.......sounds like Jaguar. This is simple. When are one of you guys going to build it ?

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
2/1/17 2:19 p.m.

Definitely have to put a straight 6 in there. Preferably twin cam. Without the sound, they just aren't as sexy

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/17 3:45 p.m.
plance1 wrote: When in doubt, do what Steve would do...

Both?

(personally I'm not really a big fan of either of them)

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/17 3:52 p.m.

Agreed on the sound; the solution seems easy enough, just swap a straight six in there with a minimally-restricted induction system!

Over the past few years I've found myself wondering from time to time how easily a Suzuki Verona engine or a Toyota 1G-GE two-liter straight six would fit in a Miata...

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/1/17 4:00 p.m.

Actually, since we're talking about Steve Mcqeen and making analogies to women, I'd say that this is the one that we should reference:

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/17 4:26 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: This would be a really interesting thing to build. Start with a body and make everything fit. The sound will be a challenge.
Take that Exocet thing, make a body. Boom. You get a great parking spot for a month. Youre welcome.

I think the problem with starting with an Exocet frame is that the frame rails are too high, and the general proportions aren't quite right; looks like the front overhang is too long, the seats/dash/cockpit opening are a bit too far forward, etc. I'm really doubtful you could make a body that fit the Exocet that looked like an XKSS.

Keith's approach could result in a more accurate body, but is a lot more work, and would likely result in quite a few challenges along the way.

I wish it wasn't so, but It seems like the most common challenge with trying to combine modern mechanicals with swoopy late-50's/early-60's sports car bodywork is the really low belt line of most of those cars (XKSS, Lotus 11, Ferrari GTO, Lola Mk 1, Ginetta G4, etc) and the tall height of the modern drivetrains and/or chassis. These days we put a higher priority on interior space for the occupants, plus crash safety concerns push engines forward, and modern overhead cam engines are tall.

Look at the hood line on these types of cars, and the fact that the back of the hood/base of the windscreen is considerably lower than the tops of the fenders, which wrap upwards in that sexy curve over the top of the front wheels. Then compare to the Exocet, which has a main structural member above the height of the top of the front wheels, and a hood bulge way above and forward if the Jags hood bulge, and you can see that two just won't mix.

Custom it is, then! Who's gonna start designing this spaceframe?

Keith Tanner
2/1/17 4:36 p.m.

I agree that the Exocet is not the correct starting point. Those big stylistic arched tubes just don't work.

It wouldn't be that hard to do the frame. Use the body to get your constraints, and put a lot of the structure in the trans tunnel instead of the side rails. Wide and deep for the sills, which is probably what the XKSS did in the first place. You'll note the doors are only half height. Interestingly, neither the Exocet nor the Catfish use the tunnel structurally.

I'll bet it would be a lot easier to build one out of a Spitfire or GT6, actually. You might be able to do that with a kit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vyepHLI28TFgLOLjkrSnIZT1Cy9oXTN6gDDaqrknTT0neEDBhBeR51NBKNjLKdzF