Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/18 11:44 p.m.

I need to replace my catalytic converter, 2001 NB2. I need to keep it within the rules for E Street.

The Easy Button is to run by the muffler shop and have them replace it. Done.

I don't do any welding, but for more cost, difficulty, and possibly a bit more horsepower, I could order a complete mid pipe assembly with a converter. I just don't know whether that would be class legal.

Eventually, I'm going to probably replace the muffler, if not for a power increase, at least for a weight savings. 

Recommendations comparing potential weight, effect on horsepower, class rules and cost?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
11/7/18 7:24 a.m.

IIRC your only technically legal replacement is an OEM/OEM replacement converter, not the tempting "high flow"/Mid pipe combos.  Exhaust mods in "Street" class can only be made from post-cat to the tailpipe, so I believe an integrated mid pipe/high flow would violate the rules. 

Floating Doc
11/7/18 7:35 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

As I thought after reading the rules. Off to the muffler shop.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/7/18 7:51 a.m.

Somebody would rather you go to a canoe shop, it appears.

Floating Doc
11/7/18 9:32 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to kazoospec :

As I thought after reading the rules. Off to the muffler shop.

Aaand... back from the muffler shop. Old cat was pretty clogged. Even though I shouldn't be surprised, I still have to remark how much harder it pulls.

Floating Doc
11/7/18 9:35 a.m.
alfadriver said:

Somebody would rather you go to a canoe shop, it appears.

Yeah, I sent the link to the canoe notification page.

Funny comment, thanks.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
11/7/18 11:42 a.m.

GRM did a test of various cats on a Miata and found very little difference in power. I believe it was around 0-2hp.

Floating Doc
11/7/18 10:02 p.m.
Snrub said:

GRM did a test of various cats on a Miata and found very little difference in power. I believe it was around 0-2hp.

You know, now that you mention it, I think I remember that. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h1aWLMWxDn9YCjnfZrsR4V35wWm1BYjXRz4iHaAvY2b6KZA6ZJNfoaPCIRRsK0rs