dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/16 3:33 p.m.

I would like to add a roll bar to the NB Miata I purchased recently. While the PO used it for auto-x, my goal is to see a lot of track time. Knowing that, a roll bar is high on my list of items to purchase. Initially, I assumed I would just order a Hard Dog, which is what I did for my last Miata (a Challenge car). But then I stumbled across Blackbird and really like what I see. Does anyone happen to have one of their bars? They seem to be a little more expensive than HD, but are very cool looking.

Here are some pics:

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/16 3:37 p.m.

Strictly from the perspective of rear visibility, I'm not a fan of the cross-with-gussets design. Other than that, I don't think you can really go wrong with either a Hard Dog or a Blackbird Fabworx.

dyintorace
2/3/16 3:50 p.m.
codrus wrote: Strictly from the perspective of rear visibility, I'm not a fan of the cross-with-gussets design. Other than that, I don't think you can really go wrong with either a Hard Dog or a Blackbird Fabworx.

I'm worried about that too, but, according to them, rear visibility with the GT3 bar is actually quite good.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
2/3/16 4:28 p.m.

That looks pretty nice - I'd like to upgrade from my HD "style" bar.

I wonder how different mounting points are; I make an assumption that if I stay with HD, I'd only have to drill the reward holes...

Desmond
Desmond Reader
2/3/16 4:40 p.m.

Go with the Blackbird. I have the Hard dog, and its awesome, but it sounds like if you want to add a harness bar, the Hard dog "add on bar" is crap. The Blackbird one comes with it as a part of the structure. Better design IMO.

See this guy's article:

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2015/01/blackbird-fabworx-gt3-rollbar-install/

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/16 4:59 p.m.

I had one in my last NA (same GT3 style bar). Great quality, would buy one again, plus Moti is great to deal with.

Just keep in mind it's a small busy outfit and those bars are not off the shelf items so there will be a lead time.

dyintorace
2/3/16 10:04 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I had one in my last NA (same GT3 style bar). Great quality, would buy one again, plus Moti is great to deal with. Just keep in mind it's a small busy outfit and those bars are not off the shelf items so there will be a lead time.

Thanks! I was hoping for a first hand recommendation.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/16 11:32 p.m.
Desmond wrote: Go with the Blackbird. I have the Hard dog, and its awesome, but it sounds like if you want to add a harness bar, the Hard dog "add on bar" is crap. The Blackbird one comes with it as a part of the structure. Better design IMO. See this guy's article: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2015/01/blackbird-fabworx-gt3-rollbar-install/

"crap"? I have the HD bolt-in harness bar, it works fine.

The rear visibility depends on how tall you are. I'd recommend sitting in one before buying.

I'm not saying anything against Moti, he does great work. I just think there's less impact on vision from the HD DD bars, so I prefer them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 11:54 p.m.

Agreed. I wouldn't hesitate to bolt one of the HD harness bars into my own car if required.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/16 6:48 a.m.

Does hard dog not make them with harness bars any more? My HDHC has a harness bar but it isn't bolt in.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/16 9:40 a.m.

BTW, Blackbird Fabworx at least used to make different styles of roll bars, the GT3-style one being one of them. IIRC they also have a single and dual diagonal style - can't check because they're redoing their website right now, I'd recommend contacting them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/16 9:50 a.m.

The NA bars have welded in bars, the NB bars have harness tabs due to the glass window. If you want to run a bar, there's a standalone bolt-on option. You can always run the shoulder belts off the tabs (people did for about a decade without complaint), but you have both belts attached to the same point which can be a no-no depending on your rule set.

steronz
steronz Reader
2/4/16 9:56 a.m.

I have a Blackbird single diagonal bar with a harness bar (glass window compatible version). It's fine, very nice quality and sturdy as hell, but it didn't re-invent the wheel. The main hoop is virtually in the same place as the HD Sport it replaced, and the harness bar (which is a little too high for my tastes) is exactly where the HD bolt in bar would go. I had high hopes that it would be better on both fronts but it ends up that there's only so many places you can put things in a Miata if you want to keep a soft top/glass window, and by "so many" I mean exactly one.

I don't have a good picture of it but this gives you an idea of the basic angles:

The angle of the shoulder belts is not ideal, if I sit up straight it's pretty good but then I fail a broomstick test, if I squat to pass a broomstick test the belts are angled down.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/16 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Ah that's why, mine is the NA version.

dyintorace
4/4/16 3:33 p.m.

Update: Ordered a Blackbird bar this week. We'll see how it goes with the install and the race seat set up!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7OkIXMt6ynmpGK4izkVkMgtXlp6QhiRIq5MXrwGKSH7zR9Pztq7QCHXLo2HVqJ3Q