fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/28/08 7:22 a.m.

While not as performance oriented as the E36 M3's new suspenders these were certainly overdue.

New stuff

Assuming the position

Old (factory struts and cut Megan Racing springs) and New (Tokico HP struts and springs and all new mounting hardware)

Installed Front

Installed Rear

New inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, lower control arms (with E.S. busings)

Old stuff

I'm sitting in the waiting room getting an alignment as I type this.... Will post before and after stance pics later.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/28/08 10:58 a.m.

Outstanding!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/28/08 11:22 a.m.

Thanks! I was a bit intimidated at first but did plenty of research on the Org and felt better. Was also able to rent the Lisle Inner Tie Rod tool from PepBoys so I didn't have to buy a $50-60 one-use tool. All told it only took me about 6-8 hours and that was taking my time and having to go out and buy a 36mm socket and some cotter pins.

EDIT - Oh yeah, PB Blaster is the shiznit! First time I've tried it - I sprayed all the bolts and nuts about a week prior and then again the night before I started and didn't have any real issues getting all the old stuff off. Granted I used an impact wherever possible but still not bad considering it's a 125k mile car in Ohio.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/28/08 11:47 a.m.

tell me you're keeping the steelies.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/28/08 12:41 p.m.

Way to go! I've always liked those Maximas.

"run silent, run deep"

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/28/08 1:26 p.m.

Before:

After:

And yes the steelies are staying. One, because I too like the look of them and two, because the car budget has been exhausted for a while.

I'm sure they'll settle a bit over the next few weeks and that's OK. Before was just too low for Ohio (winters anyway) and the ride stunk due to the short springs and factory struts. Now it's time for some exterior detailing work - off to find some more info on grassroots clay bars and headlight clearing methods....

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/28/08 1:45 p.m.

pull the hubcaps and yer set.

how's the mileage been?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/28/08 3:04 p.m.

Toothpaste is a good low buck way to clear those headlight lenses. Water, paste, brush, rinse.....repeat.

And your lights will smell so fresh!

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
7/28/08 6:43 p.m.

When the budget opens up, I'm sure you could get some cheap 17's from a later year Max. I think the 00-01's would look pretty sweet.

Any room in the plans for an exhaust upgrade? I had a stillen catback on mine and it sounded mean as hell.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
7/28/08 7:01 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: EDIT - Oh yeah, PB Blaster is the shiznit! First time I've tried it - I sprayed all the bolts and nuts about a week prior and then again the night before I started and didn't have any real issues getting all the old stuff off. Granted I used an impact wherever possible but still not bad considering it's a 125k mile car in Ohio.

glad to hear about PB converts, that stuff is a god send. Plus the max looks nice.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
7/28/08 7:58 p.m.

PB Blaster is awesome. The only thing I've found to be any better is Aerokroil, a gun cleaner. Car looked better with the first setup but looks will only get you so far. Glad it rides better!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BfY9paeSDs4QRhStqd5IA82ODdDRMZJxQFJ3OBH0olB1EqKVLuKM9RWd2Np0Y2gN