STM317
STM317 Dork
3/6/18 8:11 a.m.

We like Supras. It's been 16 years and counting since the last one was killed off.

Toyota just unveiled a "Supra Racing Concept" @ the Geneva auto show:

Which is basically a real world version of the FT1 GR3 that we've been able to drive in Gran Tursimo Sport for awhile now:

And that car is an evolution of the FT-1 Vision GT that was released in Gran Tursimo 6 late in 2014:

Image result for toyota ft1 vision gt

And that concept traces it's roots directly to the Toyota FT-1 that was revealed in January of 2014:

Related image

So, it's been 4 years and it's basically the same design. There still hasn't been a production version shown, and it would take several months after that before one could be purchased. By the time it's actually for sale, the basic design will be at least 5 years old. Is this actually going to happen, or is it kind of like Mazda routinely trotting out a slinky design study with a rotary? Anybody want to set an over/under on when the Supra actually goes on sale?

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
3/6/18 8:13 a.m.

yea we've been looking forward to this at work for quite some time... for only a "racing concept" to be revealed is pretty disappointing this far into it. Starting to push into "people don't care anymore" territory. I feel like building all this hype ("a legend returns", etc) to only release a racing only concept is laughable. How long does it take? Are you actually going to build it? Good lord. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/18 8:17 a.m.

Was not a fan of most of the early renderings, but this angle is 110% OK with me. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork

well on the plus side its starting to more and more look like a regular car instead of being very concepty... so maybe it is close?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

Not too bad, they haven't uglied it up too much from the concept. The new headlights are more Supra-like but I preferred the concept's recessed headlights. This is a car that would look good with "eyelids" though.

I also hope they keep either the engine bay window or extractor scoop from the concepts rather than just putting vents there, or worse yet, closing it up.

pinchvalve
3/6/18 8:18 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the bulbous nose, but it's better than this Scion Tc ripoff

pinchvalve
3/6/18 8:19 a.m.

The question is, will the door retain their scoops?  That's tough for production. 

pinchvalve
3/6/18 8:20 a.m.

If this is any indication of action production, the blue car looks like the most accurate.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/6/18 8:25 a.m.

If that's the case, Toyota has taken a massive step back towards tastefulness.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/6/18 8:27 a.m.

Weren't the Toybaru twins a lengthy gestation also? smiley p.s. That question looks and sounds like bad grammar.  Forgive me, english is my first language. wink

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/6/18 8:33 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

The question is, will the door retain their scoops?  That's tough for production.

Yeah, I was disappointed to see the side scoops get much smaller on this design compared to the original concept. The  more traditional side mirrors are a bummer too. But I get it.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/18 8:34 a.m.
STM317 said:

We like Supras. It's been 16 years and counting since the last one was killed off.

So, they're finnally making that widebody hardtop ND?

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/6/18 8:36 a.m.

You guys know this Supra is based on the new BMW Z car, right?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/6/18 8:40 a.m.
Robbie said:

That's a pretty big stretch. I don't even see a similarity.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
3/6/18 8:49 a.m.

What does it costs to get actual vehicles into showrooms these days?

If it is billion dollar investment, I can understand why Toyota is not rushing to bring lower volume higher price vehicle into an uncertain market. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/6/18 8:55 a.m.

The front end is real ugly. The rear styling looks pretty much similar to the Z4 coupes. And it has a BMW turbo six. Feels a lot like Toyota kinda phoned this one in. The MkIV, while I am not a fan of of it's styling, was Toyota putting their everything into a car. This seems like Toyota said "Hmm, fans want a new Supra, who can we piggyback off of and say 'There we made a new Supra, happy?' "

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/6/18 9:03 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

yea we've been looking forward to this at work for quite some time... for only a "racing concept" to be revealed is pretty disappointing this far into it. Starting to push into "people don't care anymore" territory. I feel like building all this hype ("a legend returns", etc) to only release a racing only concept is laughable. How long does it take? Are you actually going to build it? Good lord. 

Reference: Acura NSX

I'm disappointed they didn't call it a Celica to troll the domains squatters.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/6/18 9:09 a.m.
Type Q said:

If it is billion dollar investment, I can understand why Toyota is not rushing to bring lower volume higher price vehicle into an uncertain market. 

That's a valid point. But the head of Toyota has made statements recently about infusing their entire lineup with more driving excitement. What better way to make that evident than by releasing a new sports car? Even if it's low-volume, it could show that Toyota isn't just a snooze factory anymore and bring people into the showroom. I'm thinking of it as the FRS?BRZ/86 with more power that people say they want. More of a Japanese muscle car than true, Miata fighter.

If Lincoln can take the Navigator from a concept with giant gull wing doors and a built in staircase to customer's driveways in under 2 years then Toyota surely has the resources to get a Supra out within 5 years of it's original debut right?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/6/18 9:17 a.m.
STM317 said:
Type Q said:

That's a valid point. But the head of Toyota has made statements recently about infusing their entire lineup with more driving excitement. What better way to make that evident than by releasing a new sports car? Even if it's low-volume, it could show that Toyota isn't just a snooze factory anymore and bring people into the showroom. I'm thinking of it as the FRS?BRZ/86 with more power that people say they want. More of a Japanese muscle car than true, Miata fighter.

If Lincoln can take the Navigator from a concept with giant gull wing doors and a built in staircase to customer's driveways in under 2 years then Toyota surely has the resources to get a Supra out within 5 years of it's original debut right?

Especially when Toyota wasn't even doing all the heavy lifting. BMW is building the chassis and driveline, so it's essentially a reskin.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/18 9:52 a.m.
Robbie said:
STM317 said:

the headlights, hood profile, windshield profile, mirrors, badge placement, etc all scream ND to  me.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/6/18 10:22 a.m.
Type Q said:

It requires a value proposition for the company. For a forward-looking company it does not always have to be a net-sales proposition. What Halo effect does it bring to the company? What is the value of people aspiring to your Halo car? Will they buy your entry level models just to be in the family?

Ironically, we the enthusiast play a very small role in the decision because we wont contribute anything but chatter. We wont buy one cause car people are too broke; out hobby keeps us that way. We wont promote it because we are contrarians by nature of being car people and we will set-up on opposite sides and hurl statistical bricks at each other. But we WILL utter the word "TOYOTA" enough times that it makes the same marketing sense as internet "pay by click" when it comes to marketing value for Toyota.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
3/6/18 12:30 p.m.
NickD said:

Feels a lot like Toyota kinda phoned this one in.

Are you really surprised though?  It's not all that much different than how their current sports car came to be.  That's just kind of par for the course when a conservatively run company with more money than enthusiasm wants to inject some passion into their lineup.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/6/18 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I just don't see it. Especially if have to go as far as "badge placement." Like, the badge being centered above the grill is not exactly a rare thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jaqU0IqoQ6hciBmekJguhKoO9YoenpQZmbxQpxD0FjimPnbXBt75HSW0m3wxsRrD