kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/24/16 1:23 p.m.

I promised myself the next car I buy would be REASONABLY classed in autocross (Street Prepared at most). They are not making it easy for me. He's going to get pictures to me tomorrow.

The RC is aka Carlos Sainz edition, the homologation special version. I'm guessing it's going to be ridiculously expensive. Car is going to auction at USS Nagoya supposedly. I like this car (ST185) quite a bit, maybe I should find a stateside version.

Pic of what a RC looks like. There is also a rally special version that isn't the RC that is basically a lightweight stripped car that otherwise looks like a regular Alltrac you would find in the US.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
8/24/16 2:31 p.m.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. But I love old Toyota. The downside is in the states the replacement parts for the all wheel drive and motor are unicorn.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/24/16 2:35 p.m.

sounds like you have a good friend all-trac's are a true weakness of mine

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/16 3:25 p.m.
kanaric wrote: There is also a rally special version that isn't the RC that is basically a lightweight stripped car that otherwise looks like a regular Alltrac you would find in the US.

The rally actually has the narrow body. And different gear ratios than the rest of the AllTracs.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/16 5:51 p.m.

Just wow!!!!!! . I now have a new car on my want list. I always loved that body style Celica. But I had no want for FWD. The awd variant is a bit of a unicorn and parts are tough to come by I have been told but oh would that ever tick all the boxes and them some.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/16 6:33 p.m.

I had a good friend with a black AllTrac that looked quite a bit like the OP's pic. It was in excellent condition, and fully setup for Stock-class autox. I'm an AWD fanboi, but I found it very disappointing to drive. It really didn't do anything exceptionally well - though they may be a blast on non-paved surfaces?

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
8/24/16 7:30 p.m.

Thx, I'll watch out for it at auction. My Japanese exporter will handle the rest..

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/16 7:43 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I had a good friend with a black AllTrac that looked quite a bit like the OP's pic. It was in excellent condition, and fully setup for Stock-class autox. I'm an AWD fanboi, but I found it very disappointing to drive. It really didn't do anything exceptionally well - though they may be a blast on non-paved surfaces?

I have heard from multiple sources that they are really not that great to drive on dry tarmac.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/24/16 8:12 p.m.

They need a bit of modding to make into a truly fun car, ie. like a period STI would be. However it's totally possible to do and I think they are the best looking period rally car. The RC is supposed to be better and lighter than the alltrac we got in the US. I think one of these with a better turbo (ct26 maybe) and suspension mods would be fun.

BTW they are guessing it's going to be like a $14k+ auction which will be out of my league right now lol.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/16 10:31 p.m.

These things are radio controlled?

ihayes
ihayes New Reader
8/24/16 11:31 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I had a good friend with a black AllTrac that looked quite a bit like the OP's pic. It was in excellent condition, and fully setup for Stock-class autox. I'm an AWD fanboi, but I found it very disappointing to drive. It really didn't do anything exceptionally well - though they may be a blast on non-paved surfaces?

I totally agree after driving the st165. Notchy shifter, heavy and slow. I would assume the st185 is an improvement.. but would take a WRX in a heartbeat over the Celica.

The st205 on the other hand... Which we didn't get stateside...drool!!!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
8/25/16 6:34 a.m.

For some reason I thought we got a few ST205s over here....what a sad way to start the day, learning something like that.

DocV
DocV New Reader
8/25/16 9:05 a.m.

I have been spying on this USDM one up for auction as it was also available for sale locally:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Celica-All-Trac-Hatchback-2-Door-/232056134621?forcerrptr=true&hash=item36079f9bdd:g:kzEAAOSw9~RXJqNz&item=232056134621

I love 80's-90's Toyota so much...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nLUvDQrUysJHO806QTQkCUPScijbmpKNXl23YJO6ECH8P1LWlxgPNQdDTSJl6VN6