RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/11/17 8:32 a.m.

There is a local person selling Porsche parts on Craigslist and they have a bunch of 914 transaxles for $200.

I'm interested in obtaining the following:

1. Stronger transaxle
  2. Gearing for a more acceptable modern cruising speed
  3. Parts availability (including CV joints)

Now, I can always adapt CV joints like RoddyMac did on his Renault transaxle in his Europa, so that's a lesser item on the list, but I think having a stronger transaxle is a good idea. Having a good knowledge base with available parts is highly encouraging, too.

So there are two different shifter styles of the transaxle... I don't really know anything about them other than there are two. So here are my questions:

1. Can you do the classic transaxle 'flip' similar to the VW transaxle to get a rear engine layout so that it works in my Renault 8?
  2. Would one of the shifter versions better facilitate shifting the transmission from the opposite end? ie Mid engined versus Rear engined?
  3. Would there be some LSD options that I could keep an eye out for if I was to go and check out the Porsche cache?

And for the ad:

Craigslist Ad

Thanks for playing along!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/11/17 9:53 a.m.

From Samba.com it appears you can flip one, but it didn't seem quite as easy as flipping the old Beetle transmissions and there was talk of needing the tail piece from a 911. Depending on crank center line height above the road, you might be able to just flip the enire transmission upside down, although there is probably a vent issue.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/11/17 10:05 a.m.

Samba also stated that the side shift transmission is not the one you want, you need the end shift, which probably has something to do with the 911 tail piece.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
10/11/17 10:08 a.m.
RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/11/17 10:34 a.m.

I think I should be okay with the crank centerline, but that is certainly something I'd need to check out. The crank is already above the axle shafts' outputs.

I believe the shifter is a shaft style (ie twist rod to get into the 1-2, 3-4, or R position and push or pull to select the gear.)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/11/17 11:06 a.m.

On a different, but GRM related question (given the multiple transaxles available)- is there a huge size difference between the 914 trans and the Renault trans that is used in the Europa?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/11/17 12:26 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

That's a good question. I have what I believe to be a Renault 330 in my car and quite probably another 330 that Wayslow generously gave to me. I haven't found any tags on that one so I'm thinking it's a 330. The Europa one is in the same family of transaxles a 334(?) and they look very close.

I have no idea how big a 914 transaxle is, honestly. Anyone have one kicking about with a tape measure handy?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 1:08 p.m.

the 914 transmission is basically a backwards 901 transmission as used in the early 911s. First is dog leg over and down. The early pre-72s (I think 72) used the tail shaft transmissions, later 914s went to a side shift. With the lack of power and weight in 914s plus the direction of power flow, 914 transmissions are in usually better shape than early 911.

But yes, I think you can flip the ring and pinion to make it rear engined again.

914 tailshift diagram

Sideshifter mechanism

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 1:12 p.m.

The 79 Porsche 924 and the 79-80 924 Turbo used a version of this transaxle, including similar shifter parts.

The syncros are known to be weak, especially with ham-fisted drivers, but they have a decent amount of power handling capability.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
10/11/17 1:29 p.m.

Yes, you can flip the R&P.  LSD is not going to be easy to find

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 1:35 p.m.
RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/11/17 2:49 p.m.

Thanks guys. I'm going to do some more research. If I do go get a transaxle, I'll probably be putting in the corner until breakage happens, but since the car is years out from first fire, this is more of a bench build at the moment.

Any comments on paying $200 for a 914 transaxle?

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
10/11/17 2:59 p.m.

I’d probably pay $200 for a side shift since the one I have is rotten inside. 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/17 3:58 p.m.

I thought that the 914 started out with the 901 transmission, then upgraded to the 915 mid-production? 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/11/17 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

What are the implications other than I think later ones went to side shift? It seems the tail piece is swappable so i could convert tail shift.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/17 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

it did, between 72 and 73 it went to the 915 with sideshift. The 901 as used in the first couple of years was tailshifter (and was pretty sloppy due to it)

*edit* I think I may be wrong. I think only the very few built "916" got the 915 transmission.. which was given the numeric "916"

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/17 8:25 p.m.

My understanding is that the 915 is just a better unit: takes more power, more precise shifting action. 

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
10/11/17 10:53 p.m.
RossD said:

In reply to Kreb :

What are the implications other than I think later ones went to side shift? It seems the tail piece is swappable so i could convert tail shift.

Yes, you can convert a tail shifter to a side shifter.  The latter works better, more compact shift mechanism.  I can't remember everything you need, the shifter stuff and swap bars that support the front of the motor also, I think.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Uk7SCiwnPVIqII3AW1N4I1tZw34nNNNlrJLHxrOSmksPSdZaNfVT6RFwc7rslCD