1 ... 43 44 45 46
FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
1/20/24 12:15 a.m.

Friday night racecar project: Upgrading from leaky 38 year old brake booster and imminent failure master cylinder to new aluminum MC, no booster.

MC adapter is pipe with Merkur firewall plate on back and Toyota/Mazda MC mount pattern on front plate.

Pushrod is Merkur pedal end pressed into a 3/8UNC coupling nut, adjuster Allen bolt & locknut, MC end lathed down & pressed into Allen head. Welded as necessary.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/10/24 2:51 p.m.

Made these shelves today out of 

(13) 2x4x10'

(1) sheet of 3/8" plywood crosscut into 19" x 48" pieces at the orange store 

glued and screwed and landed on PT blocks, screwed to the floor joists. Upstairs has 8' ceilings but the house is on a hill so the basement is 10' to the joists  

photo looks weirdly skewed. They're actually very plumb and square  

(same designed I used ten years ago on the other side of the room)

it will be nice to get this room organized. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
2/11/24 8:07 p.m.

I'm learning to fly a plane.  My wife likes to watch my flight track.  I did this just for her. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/24 8:19 p.m.

I guess this can go here 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/11/24 9:27 p.m.

I had to add a softener and filter to our well at the new house; the installer said they'd last longer if they were out of the sun and elements.  So I decided to make a well house for them that could also store yard implements, the salt for the softener, etc.

I had leftover roof panels from the house, and I decided to make it match the house.  8'x8' slab, framed walls, homemade trusses, OSB sheathing, barrier plastic, Hardie panels with batten strips.  Standing seam roof.  I got a free used door and window from neighbors.   

I built this solo, which made some things challenging.  I had to get creative to put the trusses up, hang the Hardie panels, etc., but that's part of the fun.  Fun?  Yeah, I guess this is fun, at least when it's finished!

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/11/24 9:51 p.m.

Bought belt grinder plans from Jer Schmidt on YT. He's a smart kid and has a good design. Here it is nearly done - haven't taking a pic yet of it complete. It works great, allowing very precise sanding. Wish I had this when building Kimini and Midlana. It replaced a weak belt grinder, a 12" disc sander, and an 8" grinding wheel.

Kendall Frederick
2/11/24 10:25 p.m.
kb58 said:

Bought belt grinder plans from Jer Schmidt on YT. He's a smart kid and has a good design. Here it is nearly done - haven't taking a pic yet of it complete. It works great, allowing very precise sanding. Wish I had this when building Kimini and Midlana. It replaced a weak belt grinder, a 12" disc sander, and an 8" grinding wheel.

Are the belts reasonably priced and available?  I'd like to see some finished pics, looks like a great tool!

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/12/24 10:40 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

The belt's aren't bad, around $5-20 each depending upon quality and composition. Forgot to mention that it's a 2 x 72" belt. Here's a "done" pic -

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/12/24 10:46 p.m.

Built from plans, this is a wooden gear clock that's proving diabolically difficult to keep running. If you hate yourself sufficently, you can built one as well, https://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/clock-22/ 

Kendall Frederick
2/13/24 6:30 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Can you share how much the finished product cost you?  I assume you had to buy some pulleys, bearings, a motor, etc.?

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
2/13/24 7:06 p.m.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/13/24 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

Like always, it depends on how crazy you go. At the bottom end, buy a used 115V motor on Ebay, make your own pulleys, and cut all the steel plate yourself. At the top end, buy a new VFD, new 3-phase motor, manufactured pulley set, and have all the metal sent out for fab and powder coat. So it can be from about $300 - 1500 depending on buying new versus used versus manufactured.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/13/24 10:59 p.m.

"There is no spoon"

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
2/14/24 11:34 a.m.

In reply to carbidetooth :

That's pure awesome. Ink?

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
2/14/24 11:38 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Replaced a disc sander and other belt grinder you say? I seriously need one of those. Been looking for a vintage American disc/belt combo but we all know how hard they are to find. How was the build?

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/14/24 1:03 p.m.

Well in my case, I decided to keep the 6" grinder, leaving one side with an aluminum oxide wheel, and replacing the other side with a 3M deburring wheel. It's small enough that it'll fit next to the belt grinder, so the work envelope stays small.

I really like his plans, clear, with no issues other than me for some reason deciding that I wanted a face-mounted motor instead of his recommended mount. It worked out fine but I made myself more work than was necessary.

Here's his build video, and between it and the plans, you're totally set:

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
2/14/24 1:20 p.m.
Nockenwelle said:

In reply to carbidetooth :

That's pure awesome. Ink?

It's a process called V-Carving on CNC router, so more like relief carving. Would make an interesting tattoo, though.

Loren_SD
Loren_SD New Reader
2/14/24 1:46 p.m.

Carved brass

Formed/welded 18ga CRS

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/29/24 1:53 p.m.

I learned this trick from the cabinet builders out in San Diego 40 years ago. 3"x24" sanding belt hand sander in fine and rough grit. 1x4 pine ripped to 3" with a 9-3/8" and 8-1/4" blocks cut to fit by trial and error for a super tight fit. Works great.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
3/5/24 8:28 p.m.

Made these oak sides & tailgate for my open utility trailer to allow hauling gravel & stuff. Best part was cost of materials= 0$. Cut down from a large, hi-quality pallet.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/6/24 6:21 a.m.

Weld table tooling rack.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/12/24 2:24 p.m.

Electric power draw bar, made from a cordless impact wrench. It was partly a challenge and partly to offer an alternative to those not having air compressors (needed for the common air-powered alternative). Nearly all 3D-printed, maybe I'll  make a YT video, but it's a Very small audience, unlike the millions interested in what the Kardashians are wearing...

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/12/24 2:53 p.m.

Second attempt at building a clock - the first one kicked my butt because it wouldn't keep running. This one is "cheating" in that it's electrically swinging the pendulum instead of using a hanging weight. Bought the plans here: https://holzmechanik.de/holz-uhr-magica.html

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
3/12/24 2:58 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Ha, there is a home made power draw bar on one of our mills, it uses a butterfly impact wrench.  Still air powered but home made.

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/12/24 3:05 p.m.

Not finished yet, but made a stand for my drill press...

Then used it to make brackets to put a 12" screen in my dash for TunerStudio.

1 ... 43 44 45 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mIcxBn2ddAfzsGFpbtuGUg3AI1jbynzHCQCaCxpaGNY7VKGUg6sQap5wEQCicx0p