1 2 3
pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/10/15 11:09 p.m.

On Sunday I was at work recovering a stolen car from New Hampshire. We had to call a wrecker because the thief was not kind enough to leave the keys with the wayward Hyundai that was found abandoned in the hood. Anyways I have known the owner of the tow truck company for several years and we start talking while my recruit does the paperwork for the stolen car. As usual our conversation turns to cars and he mentions that he recently picked up a Chevelle from an individual who owed him some money. This peaked my interest because I have always had a soft spot for 1966 and 1967 GM a-body's. What year is it I ask and he replies its a 1967. Bad news for me... Is it a manual? Yeah its a 4-speed he answers. Dammit I really don't need another project, but....

The next day I meet him and to look at it and needless to say I am now $6000 poorer but I am the proud owner of a 4-speed 1967 Chevelle.

Here are some pics I took when I met him to look at the car.

It is missing the front rim and is riding on a steel wheel for the time being, but that is easily fixed.

It needs some interior work, IE: carpet and headliner. The floor boards have a little rust but the frame is solid and it drives well. The paint looks better in the pictures then it is in person but I certainly was not going to find a nicer one for that price point. I ran the VIN and it is originally a V8 Malibu trim Sport Coupe car. I will try to document my trials and tribulations as I tear into the car. I pick it up next week when I get back from visiting family in Tennessee.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
3/10/15 11:13 p.m.

That looks Hella nice for 6k, well done. My dad is perpetually looking for a 66 ss396 like the one that was his first new car. I really like the 66 and 67s too. What are your plans? Ls swap? SS grill and hood?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
3/10/15 11:15 p.m.

Almost sounds too good to be true for the money. Hopefully I'm wrong.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/10/15 11:20 p.m.

Not sure of plans yet, I have only driven it on the test drive. 1st things will probably be front disc brakes, patch the floor pan rust, carpet and a headliner. Once I get it in my possession I will figure out what needs to be addressed first.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/10/15 11:22 p.m.

Also the tires are terribly dry rotted they need to be replaced ASAP.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
3/11/15 12:00 a.m.

That is alot of car for 6k. Nice score!

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/11/15 12:10 a.m.

One of the last really pretty Chevrolet's. And it's a good color! Cragar S/S's aren't really my cup of tea but the sky is the limit there. And a killer deal. Have fun!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/11/15 12:14 a.m.

I like it. Especially that there is a bench with the 4-speed. Sounds like you've got an idea of what you want to do. There are many Chevelle restoration parts out there, so you have some help out there.

But please put some period correct retro gauges in it. They are several repops out there, I hate that people buy the off the shelf Autometer stuff. It looks waaaay out of place.

Ditch the 28" Monster Tach and get something like the retro Sunpro tachs

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
3/11/15 12:15 a.m.

My brother had a Gold with Black vinyl top '67. It had a 283 and 'glide that my Dad had bought from my Uncle's Estate. Cool car, and your post brought back some memories.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 1:26 a.m.

yeah i am ditching the tach for sure, it looks ridiculous

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
3/11/15 2:11 a.m.

That's awesome man! '67 is my favorite body style. I will have one someday...

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/11/15 4:39 a.m.

The ultimate resto rod candidate, in my humble opinion. Colour me green with envy.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
3/11/15 6:19 a.m.

Great score! It's hard to loose money on a Chevelle, especially at that price. They must be in the top 5 of easily restored cars due to the great availability of parts too.

I'm not a Chevy guy, but I'll be honest, I would not kick that out of my garage.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
3/11/15 6:28 a.m.

that is an awesome score for a clean 4 speed car!

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
3/11/15 6:30 a.m.

I would have a hard time not flipping it for nearly double.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/11/15 6:40 a.m.

Wow what a deal!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/11/15 6:41 a.m.

Sweetness!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/15 6:44 a.m.

Wow! Very nice! Front disc brakes sounds like a great start. Then everything that is a suspension bushing on the entire car. Box the rear arms at the same time. And drive.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
3/11/15 7:30 a.m.

Wow, that's a hell of a deal.... nice score! I'd take it off your hands for $6k haha.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/15 7:40 a.m.

bargain of the month! Nice car.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/11/15 7:41 a.m.

Great score!

That would be at least a $10K car around here.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/11/15 8:12 a.m.

Oh man. That is very nice. If that thing isn't reconstructed out of the dreaded pink epoxy it's a hell of a score at $6k.

My father and I restored a '70 SS that he tools around in... but I've never loved it (he does though). I like the squared up edges of those earlier cars much better.

Good luck with it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/11/15 8:19 a.m.

First to say YOU SUCK.

Cool car. I hope its a 327 since it isn't a 396. Need moar old school Torque Thrusts although Cragers are #2 in my book. .

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/11/15 8:27 a.m.

I always found th 68-72 Chevelles to be oddly proportioned. The earlier GM A-bodies just look so right. Congratulations, don't berkeley it up

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/15 9:07 a.m.

Wow every Chevelle I see at that price has no motor, trans, interior, and needs paint.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sc3oTxH2SWRBNcYt68yuO8LDPnJL4STRygeIlfZubBpUa4HolyyJ4WB4c828mpq6