Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/15/14 1:48 p.m.
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/15/14 6:29 p.m.

Nice finds!
I learned how to drive in a manual 1978 Chevette. Red, with the tan vinyl interior.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
2/15/14 6:35 p.m.

I feel this is one of those cars that's likely an ideal candidate for the Miata pan graft. Should make the LSx install easier, also fixes all the suspension and brake problems all at once.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/15/14 6:40 p.m.

My friend had a Pontiac T1000. That car put up with more than its share of abuse!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/15/14 6:51 p.m.

This is the summer DD of one of my customers. Boggles the mind it does. Rob's Chevette

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/14 6:56 p.m.

Cool Chevettes existed, just not in the US. We had to make our own.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/15/14 6:58 p.m.

I always thought a quad 4 swap would make for a fun Chevette.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/15/14 8:40 p.m.

How about these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qEITe0hUhE

http://www.chevettesonice.ca/

impulsive
impulsive Reader
2/15/14 8:44 p.m.

GM T-cars have loads of potential and are pretty popular all over the world except for North America.

Chevette's Aussie cousin Holden Gemini: Targa 2007 Holden Gemini Rookie Rally Winner

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/15/14 10:31 p.m.

OK so this is actually a rare car that looked like it started out rather nice. There are a few parts in these videos that the Chevette guys (all 5 of us) would pay good money for. That being said, it looks like a helluva fun time!

The Dukes of Milford: Part 1

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/15/14 10:38 p.m.

Full disclosure: I did the same thing to a rotted out $50 86 BRAT years ago. It had the good struts and the hi-lo 5 speed transmission. Still kicking myself for not keeping the parts.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/15/14 10:54 p.m.

this thing sounds sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5DOAxhJPTk

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
2/16/14 11:40 a.m.

I will say that the auto version really needed the HVAC controls moved higher in the dash. I can say that I put my high school girlfriend's car into park at highway speeds once. She did it multiple times. Needless to say, the car still ran fine, though the tires were a bit flat spotted. Way more room that they initially appeared to have.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/14 4:37 p.m.

Sometimes I really think that GM wanted the chevette to fail here in the US. Just like Ford wanted the Sierra to

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/16/14 5:18 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Sometimes I really think that GM wanted the chevette to fail here in the US. Just like Ford wanted the Sierra to

If you watch the one video from the OP it talks about the Chevette being available with a 150Hp 2.3L 4 cyl in the UK. They would have been better with that without a doubt (and actual brakes, as opposed to the crap they had).

My Grandfather had one and I used to say they had the first ABS system. You couldn`t lock the brakes if you wanted to. Without a doubt the worst brakes of any device I have ever driven.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/16/14 5:30 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Sometimes I really think that GM wanted the chevette to fail here in the US. Just like Ford wanted the Sierra to

I would agree except it didn't fail. Best selling car in the USA in 1981 (also the year it had the most hp iirc, go figure). It did what it was supposed to do. It sold. If you count worldwide production of it's platform (T-car) it was a HUGE success. Boring sure, but a success!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hXcJcfhUBMkXOPsa2HjSTiTyNsq6zIYYtYEAI6vz3aBJ27s9TtcLjphZAW3Ow5o3