Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/10 3:36 p.m.

Is there a good substitute for the impossible to find and incredibly expensive Prothane grease used on sway bar bushings?

I've thought about using brake grease or anti-seize, but I've always worried about them breaking down the bushing material.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
4/20/10 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I have used disk brake wheel bearing grease on a couple of bars. I replaced a bar a few weeks ago, took off stock one that I had regreased a few years back. Looked good, no deterioration, best part, no squeaks. Put new bar/bushings (urethane, not rubber) with same grease, no issues

Eric G

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
4/20/10 4:02 p.m.

go to hardware store... and ask for a small tub of plumbers grease

speedblind
speedblind Reader
4/20/10 4:05 p.m.

I use a tub of Mobil1 synthetic grease that I've had forever. Cost about five bucks from Autozone-type places. Never had a problem with it.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/10 4:35 p.m.

I'm thinking Syl-glide (brake lube) would be pretty good at it. That's what I'm going to try next time I'm doing a set of bushings.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
4/20/10 4:48 p.m.

I've used dielectric grease with good results. I swear its the same stuff that came with the energy suspension urethane bushings I put in a Jeep.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
4/20/10 5:33 p.m.

I have used anti-seize on poly bushings for years without problems.

I have read that boat trailer bearing grease (light blue stuff) works well, too.

Sparetire
Sparetire New Reader
4/20/10 5:37 p.m.

Plain CV joint grease has worked for me. It doesnt break down CV boots, so it should'nt have trouble with poly bushings.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
4/20/10 5:39 p.m.

KY Jelly..

iceracer
iceracer Dork
4/20/10 6:15 p.m.

I use Amsoil synthetic grease. Works pretty well.

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
4/20/10 9:17 p.m.

superlube

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
4/20/10 10:29 p.m.

In reply to slowcamaro:

marine grease

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
4/21/10 8:41 a.m.

Bel-Ray brand moly assembly lube.

And I've tried every one of the previous suggestions with the exception of using glycerin instead of KY. Second best is silicone plumber's grease.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/10 12:07 p.m.

Can you buy silicone plumber's grease at Home Depot?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
4/21/10 12:15 p.m.

Good question. I have some seriously squeaky bushings on the TDI right now...

I've been looking for a replacement for the effective, but sticky-as-hell, aqua-green stuff that comes with IPD's Volvo sway-bar kits.

The Powerflex LCA bushings I've installed in a number of MINI's comes with what I swear is copper anti-sieze...

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
4/21/10 12:59 p.m.

Wow! It looks as if just about everything has and can be used on the bushings.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
4/21/10 1:40 p.m.

I've used Amsoil grease forever. There's a tub in the shop and another in the garage - cars, bikes, machine parts, bicycles, RC planes, urethane bushings, whatever.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
4/21/10 9:03 p.m.
Woody wrote: Can you buy silicone plumber's grease at Home Depot?

Yep, also Lowes and any other hardware or plumbing store. Looks just like the picture oldeskewltoy posted.

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
4/21/10 11:13 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Good question. I have some seriously squeaky bushings on the TDI right now... I've been looking for a replacement for the effective, but sticky-as-hell, aqua-green stuff that comes with IPD's Volvo sway-bar kits. The Powerflex LCA bushings I've installed in a number of MINI's comes with what I swear is copper anti-sieze...

perhaps "green grease". locally available to me from advance auto and tractor supply

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
4/23/10 5:50 a.m.

I squirt them down with silicone spray every oil change. If it's a first time, or things have been neglected for a while, I use a penetrating oil with teflon or such. Seems to work well enough on sway bar bushings.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
De6NGIf5PfddvT7J3puQxT7sbjHu7nKUaPbwVkuVE30n3cBhoWqdqxruoQOgoDcN