1 2
drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/26/17 12:40 a.m.

Tell me what I should be searching for???

I have searched the Arpanet for a product that does the following... Protects my hearing while driving a convertible.

Features it must be equipped with, include...

Hearing protection; but I must be able to hear the radio. Preferably in the form of a headset.

Can talk to, and understand a passenger.

Can talk to, and understand a cell phone caller. Finally, can still hear traffic around me.

I have seen some Bluetooth devices that do some but not all of these things. I have also seen some motorcycle products that do some but not all of these things.

After watching WRC, I think there must be a device that will do all of these things..

If there is such a device or a device that comes close, I would be appreciate it if someone could post a link..

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/26/17 2:59 a.m.

I think the thing you are searching for is called a roof.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/26/17 5:20 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

That's funny!

This will not answer your question I'm sorry. My belief is that you accept the loss of much of those things in exchange for being able to drive with no roof, out in the wind and that free feeling you get.

My advice as unsolicited as it is is to let yourself unwind and just enjoy the drive.

Seems analogous to those people going to the beach with pants, shirt, hat, sunglasses.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
3/26/17 5:29 a.m.

At least in Michigan, I don't think a deadset ir earphones are legal while driving. An obvious exception would be motorcycles.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/26/17 8:26 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: At least in Michigan, I don't think a deadset ir earphones are legal while driving. An obvious exception would be motorcycles.

I was thinking the same. If it's going to work well enough to keep you from hearing the wind and traffic noise, it's probably going to keep you from hearing things like sirens and impending vehicle collisions too.

For me personally, one of the biggest benefits of taking the convertible would be not being able to easily talk with people.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/26/17 9:26 a.m.

Surprisingly, foam earplugs do a good job of mitigating damaging wind noise, without blocking sirens, horns, traffic, etc. At least, that's my experience, while riding a motorcycle. IME, they also block out machine shop noise, while actually making hearing a radio and conversations easier.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/26/17 10:12 a.m.

Listen to the radio/music at home. conversations when you stop.

Listen to natures music while driving. Part of why you have a convertible.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/17 10:55 a.m.

Earplugs or headphones while driving are highly illegal. Federal DOT stuff. Having said that, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it.

Bose has some new in-ear noise cancelling headphones. Pricey, but they might work.

But I'm in the purist camp. I have a motorcycle and a convertible. When I'm driving either one, the phone gets shut off. The convertible doesn't even have a radio. If I need to have a conversation in the drop-top, my girl just slides over beside me on the bench seat.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/17 12:54 p.m.

In all seriousness, look in to shooting earplugs. Back when I was a rocker, they were the only ear protection that sort of let me hear my own voice. Not earbud compatible, but a possible compromise. They have small metal canisters inside a typical rubber earplug. Work well at muffling "big" noises, but let other stuff through.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/26/17 7:28 p.m.

Headphones are illegal in some states since the sound the produce reduces your perception of outside noises like sirens, horns, and people cursing at you. Earplugs (like the orange foam ones mentioned earlier) are usually legal since they bring the total volume down without reducing your perception of noise. I keep a set of musicians earplugs in the miata. They are a little better than the orange ones since they are designed to reduce all frequencies equally so you can hear everything. I find I can hear the radio better at a similar or lower volume with the earplugs because the road noise is not as noticeable. You also don't get worn out as quick without the constant road noise. If you have a passenger, just talk a little louder. If you get a phone call, let it go to voicemail. The people calling won't be able to hear you over the noise anyway.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/17 7:33 p.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: Surprisingly, foam earplugs do a good job of mitigating damaging wind noise, without blocking sirens, horns, traffic, etc. At least, that's my experience, while riding a motorcycle. IME, they also block out machine shop noise, while actually making hearing a radio and conversations easier.

It's amazing how much MORE clearly you can hear traffic and other such sounds when you're wearing earplugs/muffs to deaden the noise.

Most of the sound that gets muted is the high frequency stuff that you don't really notice until you notice that it's gone while wearing hearing protection.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
3/26/17 7:36 p.m.

Which convertible?

The factory wind deflector makes a huge difference on my MINI. Still loud on the highway but great at lower speeds. Does your vert have a factory deflector?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/26/17 10:20 p.m.

Earplugs being illegal is mostly urban legend in my experience. Everyone says it is, but I have researched in at least 20 states and federal legislation and never found a law against them.

After all, they don't test your hearing when you get a license, only vision.

That said, the intercom system for aircraft is about perfect, but typically includes bulky ear muffs that would raise questions. The next best option would be a headphone option with a throat mic.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/27/17 12:47 a.m.

Hello.

Is it me you're looking for?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
3/27/17 8:08 a.m.

Since you mentioned WRC, are you trying to say you want an intercom with transit headsets?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/17 12:31 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Earplugs being illegal is mostly urban legend in my experience. Everyone says it is, but I have researched in at least 20 states and federal legislation and never found a law against them. After all, they don't test your hearing when you get a license, only vision.

Ohio Revised Code 4511.84.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/27/17 10:46 p.m.
tomtomgt356 wrote: Headphones are illegal in some states since the sound the produce reduces your perception of outside noises like sirens, horns, and people cursing at you. Earplugs (like the orange foam ones mentioned earlier) are usually legal since they bring the total volume down without reducing your perception of noise. I keep a set of musicians earplugs in the miata. They are a little better than the orange ones since they are designed to reduce all frequencies equally so you can hear everything. I find I can hear the radio better at a similar or lower volume with the earplugs because the road noise is not as noticeable. You also don't get worn out as quick without the constant road noise. If you have a passenger, just talk a little louder. If you get a phone call, let it go to voicemail. The people calling won't be able to hear you over the noise anyway.

Props For your suggestion. I should have put this in the original post.. My hearing is already poor, and my family has a history of hearing problems.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/27/17 10:47 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: Will look into this as well. My brother shoots competitively he might have a thing or two to tell me. In all seriousness, look in to shooting earplugs. Back when I was a rocker, they were the only ear protection that sort of let me hear my own voice. Not earbud compatible, but a possible compromise. They have small metal canisters inside a typical rubber earplug. Work well at muffling "big" noises, but let other stuff through.
drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/27/17 10:51 p.m.
Aspen wrote: Which convertible? The factory wind deflector makes a huge difference on my MINI. Still loud on the highway but great at lower speeds. Does your vert have a factory deflector?

NB Miata. There is a deflector, but my hearing is already bad enough. Although deflectors work wonders. I owned a NA without one. and it was far louder.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/17 10:53 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Since you mentioned WRC, are you trying to say you want an intercom with transit headsets?

My first thought as well. My Peltors can take an external audio input, which means we can listen to music or talk on the phone. Naturally, I can also talk to my codriver. Never been hassled by The Man while wearing them, and they also come in handy at NASCAR races

But for long trips with a convertible, I'll often wear ear plugs. Keeps me more alert because I'm not getting fatigued by the high noise level. For those who are saying "enjoy nature's soundtrack", I recommend you hear what a truck driving beside you on a grooved concrete interstate sounds like.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/27/17 10:55 p.m.
Aspen wrote: Which convertible? The factory wind deflector makes a huge difference on my MINI. Still loud on the highway but great at lower speeds. Does your vert have a factory deflector?

NB Miata. There is a deflector, but my hearing is already bad enough. Although deflectors work wonders. I owned a NA without one. and it was far louder.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
3/27/17 11:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Since you mentioned WRC, are you trying to say you want an intercom with transit headsets?
My first thought as well. My Peltors can take an external audio input, which means we can listen to music or talk on the phone. Naturally, I can also talk to my codriver. Never been hassled by The Man while wearing them, and they also come in handy at NASCAR races But for long trips with a convertible, I'll often wear ear plugs. Keeps me more alert because I'm not getting fatigued by the high noise level. For those who are saying "enjoy nature's soundtrack", I recommend you hear what a truck driving beside you on a grooved concrete interstate sounds like.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ and Keith Tanner..

This may be what I am looking for!! Will of course try ear plugs first, being cheap!!!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/27/17 11:12 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: At least in Michigan, I don't think a deadset ir earphones are legal while driving. An obvious exception would be motorcycles.

Not.in minnesota either. I know my father got pulled because he hacked an old Sony tape Walkman into his helmet on his motorcycle, and promptly got told to knock that E36 M3 off.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/17 11:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Not.in minnesota either. I know my father got pulled because he hacked an old Sony tape Walkman into his helmet on his motorcycle, and promptly got told to knock that E36 M3 off.

In California it's only legal to have an earphone in one ear while driving. Seems kinda stupid to me, I don't know anyone who would argue that it's unsafe for deaf people to drive, so why do earplugs matter?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
3/27/17 11:30 p.m.

I used to use the foam earplugs on the motorcycle. While they knocked a lot of the high pitched sound out they still let a ton of the booming low wind sounds in. Above 45mph nothing was audible except wind noise. Picture having your head inside a bass speaker enclosure while listening to white noise.

I bought a pair of these on a whim at my local walgreens. To me they do a great job of really knocking out the super annoying low end booming and the high end whistles while still allowing the sounds in the middle in. I can actually hear my engine now, even a 75mph. I hear sirens and horns as well as vehicles next to me, which I could not do with the foam ones. Illegal or not I couldn't even think about riding with a helmet on without hearing protection. You are completely deafened to any sound other than wind noise.

I realize a convertible car is different than wearing a helmet on a motorcycle but I was really amazed at how well those worked for me. And you still can carry on a conversation with them in.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K6gWbELYtvVjSlWFFXbT2ZM8Z5eGbAtk0cIKIVJwOiWMeeHY6x3TSr4E81zDz5bj