Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/14 9:52 p.m.

It took a Trifecta of stupidity and/or sloth to get this three days late:

Close up:

Yes, it has been ground down by something a significant amount.

But wait, there's more!

Needless to say, my suspension isn't getting done this week...

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
4/21/14 9:57 p.m.

I picked up a UPS-shipped KYB order this week with a strut that punched through the box too. Mine came out a lot better than yours, thankfully! I had one strut with the old-style plastic strap that was well retained and three with the weird metal clippy thing that all popped to various degrees (one went through the box, the other two got stuck on the collar and just beat the tar out of the inside of the box).

Come to think of it, mine was also three days late. I wonder if our parcels were truck friends.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/14 10:31 p.m.

Looks like KYB needs to re think there packaging.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/14 10:42 p.m.

I should also mention that box is supposed to be holding FOUR struts...

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/14 10:51 p.m.

ouch!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/14 6:49 a.m.

Well obviously, they put it in the box upside down. Can't they look at their own pictures.

Good luck getting them to fix it. I hate dealing with those idiots.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/22/14 7:24 a.m.

Damn. I thought that the Tokicos that I got through Amazon were packed like crap but now I see that they weren't. Mine only have the paint rubbed off in a few small places from moving around inside the box while in transit.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
4/22/14 7:42 a.m.

Looks like the KYB's I got from Rock Auto a couple years ago.

I know they'er the value option in aftermarket shocks/struts but I'm really not that impressed with KYB.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/22/14 10:39 a.m.

Just to rub salt in the wound, the Koni FSDs that I received two weeks ago were beautifully packed. One box with cardboard brackets, two plastic staps per strut and spray foam packing around the ends. This inside a another box with Koni printing, inside a 3rd box. Everything was beautiful including instructions and new hardware. Received sooner than expected.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
4/22/14 10:47 a.m.

Ups is the worst shipping company. Fought with them about damages multiple times

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
4/22/14 10:49 a.m.

Good thing is that Amazon is great with returns and actually want feedback on their packaging a shipping.

I'm sure they will take care of you.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
4/22/14 12:10 p.m.

I've ordered Konis in the past and they were indeed wonderfully packed. A nice thick fabric strap, wrapped in bubble wrap and covered well.

The box arrived damaged but the strut cartridge inside was perfect. Pretty disappointed in KYB if they expect that flimsy metal friction clip to be sufficient packaging.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
4/22/14 12:37 p.m.

that reminds me of when some friends of mine (or should I say their parents) ordered a computer back in the day. It arrived looking like yours. It almost seemed like a forklift jammed the forks into the computer and lifted it that way, then it was loaded in the truck via olympic shot put. The second one they got to replace that appeared to be part of a WWE wrestling match. Computer #3 arrived just fine via fedex.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
4/22/14 12:58 p.m.

Got Monroes (for the minivan) from rock auto recently that were probably packed about the same as those KYBs, but the packaging wasn't destroyed. Seems like every strut I've bought through the mail just "floats" in the box, I'd think thats a bad way to do it.

Sounds like Koni does things differently.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/22/14 1:10 p.m.

I ordered a set of KYBs from Amazon last year, and they also arrived late and beat up.

At least mine were undamaged inside the packaging.

UPS is also my least preferred shipper, a few years ago they lost my wife's expensive, un-replaceable, and time sensitive anniversary gift, and never owned up to it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/14 1:48 p.m.

I once bought a set of KYBs from a shop that were packed like that, which was fine for a box that only sat on a shelf and was still minty-fresh.

SCARR
SCARR HalfDork
4/22/14 2:08 p.m.

I had a shock (d2, replacement part for my 180k coilovers...) sent fedex, and what showed up on my doorstop? and empty tube, missing an end.

no, note, no nothing. just "here you go, here is your empty tube you ordered." took 2 days for them to realize it was rolling around in the back of their delivery truck.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
4/22/14 3:07 p.m.

I sent a tachometer to England over a month ago. Made it as far as New York the next day then it just disappeared. Still can't get a real human being to talk to me about any recourse. Nothing but automated messages that circle back to the beginning and a form I can't even figure out how to fill out or who to give it to.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/22/14 3:39 p.m.

According to this article, if you write "Fragile" on a package sent UPS, they'll use it to play volleyball. If you really want to keep them from smashing it, the trick is to mark it "Urine samples."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q1OmDFYn8Yyuj6dWCfzsAohmqd6jQKmxka3CTmguS7kE8H3u6dUFo5kbx6fMn1kg