1 2 3
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/23 11:01 a.m.

https://jalopnik.com/dead-volkswagen-gti-manual-and-volkswagen-golf-r-manua-1850787032

Volkswagen sent out a press release this morning about the 2024 Golf GTI 380 Edition. It contains the biggest “oh, by the way” in the history of enthusiast cars: that the 380 is being built to celebrate the end of the manual transmission in the GTI and Golf R.

Booooo!!!!!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/30/23 12:04 p.m.

Were you going to buy one? The DCT in those cars are awesome. 

8/30/23 12:28 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I get that, but for the most iconic hot hatch in history to go automatic-only is a damn shame.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/30/23 12:55 p.m.
z31maniac said:

No... but I wasn't going to buy a DCT version either. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/23 1:02 p.m.

Guess I will keep my mk6 R 6spd forever then.

Dumb.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
8/30/23 1:08 p.m.

Will this be also in Europe ?

And only GTI / Golf R or will it be all models in a few years ?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 1:27 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

I get that, but for the most iconic hot hatch in history to go automatic-only is a damn shame.

The new Golfs are a bit too crossovery to be a hot hatch wink

TR7
TR7 Reader
8/30/23 1:28 p.m.

Thats a bummer, Im on my 6th VW with a clutch pedal. Guess that run is coming to an end soon...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/30/23 1:32 p.m.

Chalk it up to the laziness of people everywhere wanting to have computers or other people make all of their decisions for them in a mindless stamper through life. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/30/23 1:34 p.m.

That's an interesting decision given that the 6MT take rate here was 50%+

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/30/23 2:07 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Sorry I just get annoyed about folks complaining about stuff they never intended on buying. 

8/30/23 2:11 p.m.
docwyte said:

The article gives this as the reason:

The manual Golf apparently emits 162g/km of CO2 to the automatic’s 160g/km, which was enough to get it cancelled in the name of manufacturer fleet emissions quotas that apply in Europe.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
8/30/23 2:21 p.m.

I then assume the only way to get the GTI powertrain with a stick post 2024 is in the GLI? And I can't imagine that will be long-term as well... 

TR7
TR7 Reader
8/30/23 2:45 p.m.
Old_Town said:

I then assume the only way to get the GTI powertrain with a stick post 2024 is in the GLI? And I can't imagine that will be long-term as well... 

Is the GLI the same underneath? It used to be that the GTI got IRS and the GLI got the beam IIRC. Also, isnt the GLI on a longer wheelbase/slightly different chassis? I know I am nitpicking, but Ive always been a GTI-guy for little reasons, and one big one (hatch). 

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
8/30/23 3:00 p.m.

I own a Mk7 GTI manual. While I actually prefer the DSG for both normal and sporty driving, there are two reasons I got the manual:

1) DSG fluid service is every 40,000 miles with expensive fluid, manual is every 100,000 miles.

2) You can tow with a manual. I tow all the time. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/30/23 3:22 p.m.

Fine, I'll say it....

Good. The DSG cars are faster, stronger and more reliable. This just means finding your next project car will be easier, as the used market won't be littered with manual cars.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/30/23 3:58 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Fine, I'll say it....

Good. The DSG cars are faster, stronger and more reliable. This just means finding your next project car will be easier, as the used market won't be littered with manual cars.

When you say this it leads me to believe you think the Olive Garden serves Italian food. LOL

Manuals are about the experience. Much like the aforementioned chain restaurant; which may well be faster, more widely available and charge half the price of a real Italian restaurant, the DSG experience does not bring as much joy as the manual does.

Most people are buying an enthusiast car for the joy it brings. 

I may run a car with a CVT but I'm the first to admit I enjoy going up and down through the box more than I do the extra six tenths faster the F500 is with a CVT.

(PS also stop eating a t Taco Bell; it's nasty and there are proper taquerias everywhere).

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/30/23 3:59 p.m.

Over the last 20 years manufacturers have given us more power, handling, efficiency, and creature comforts than we ever would have imagined possible.  Not having a stickshift or hydraulic power steering seems like a reasonable trade.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/30/23 4:01 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Over the last 20 years manufacturers have given us more power, handling, efficiency, and creature comforts than we ever would have imagined possible.  Not having a stickshift or hydraulic power steering seems like a reasonable trade.

Heresy.............................you shall be forced to drive a two stroke Saab to work for the next three weeks.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/30/23 9:31 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Fine, I'll say it....

Didn't you say in one of the GRM Porject Car posts that your DSG GTI will sometimes upshift or downshift on track without the driver telling it to? Seems like that should be a non-starter in a performance car. Let me hit the Rev Limiter if I want to.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/30/23 9:38 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

I should note that neither my GTI nor my built-up-to-GTI-spec Golf had hydraulic power steering.

Because they were light enough (1900lb, 2200lb) to not NEED power steering.

("built up to GTI spec" = it had the larger front bar installed, and the solid 9.4 rotors swapped for vented.  You could still buy 100hp 8v GTIs in the late 80s,  The GTI also had shorter gearing, but I liked the 42mpg that the 3.67:1 GL transmission got)

I don't mind automatics, ABS, etc, but manual steering is my personal hill, and this requires light weight and narrow tires.  Well, narrow by modern standards.  185/60s were fat hoops at the time.  Lose that wonderful steering feel, and everything else is a case of "eh, while you're compromising things, might as well do X and Y and Z".

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/30/23 9:43 p.m.

The manual Golf apparently emits 162g/km of CO2 to the automatic’s 160g/km, which was enough to get it cancelled in the name of manufacturer fleet emissions quotas that apply in Europe.

My snide comment...

Paraphrasing the above, "we can teach the DCT to cheat a result of 160g/km but we can't get the manual to cheat the same answer."  

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/30/23 9:47 p.m.
John Welsh said:

My snide comment...

Paraphrasing the above, "we can teach the DCT to cheat a result of 160g/km but we can't get the manual to cheat the same answer."  

Ooooooo, good point.  One of the things I liked about European automatics is that, unlike American automatics, they were calibrated for the driving experience and not a good number on the CAFE test loop.

I wonder if this will change.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/30/23 10:46 p.m.
CrashDummy said:
Tom Suddard said:

Fine, I'll say it....

Didn't you say in one of the GRM Porject Car posts that your DSG GTI will sometimes upshift or downshift on track without the driver telling it to? Seems like that should be a non-starter in a performance car. Let me hit the Rev Limiter if I want to.

It can be a little finicky, but it's pretty easy to learn to drive with. And the data traces don't lie: shifts are so, so, so much faster. Plus there's no risk of money shifting it, and I didn't need to pull the transmission and upgrade the clutch when I tuned the car.

My comment "good" was slightly in jest, and I am sad to see fewer manual transmissions in the world, but having driven and raced with both transmissions in GTIs, the DSG is the better tool for the job. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/30/23 11:02 p.m.
docwyte said:

50%... of a very tiny sub-group of the buying public. Pretty sure that if 50% of the buying public wanted manual transmissions, we'd still have them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o4Tvz66RUbFstekF6S2sB8mFW9Xbiy1a4T6gvM0Le6PaLLVnLkBW0azpwYpHFzF8