Chet
Chet New Reader
2/23/14 1:47 a.m.

Can anyone please share their knowledge about the VW Phaeton?

I'm seriously looking for one to purchase but don't have any info about the possible deal breaker issues or desirable options.

Thanks Chet

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/23/14 4:48 a.m.

I suspect that a Phaeton would be a nice upgrade from a Maserati BiTurbo, daily driver.

I hear the headlights and tail lights are good, it is just the parts in-between that would concern me.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/14 5:57 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I hear the headlights and tail lights are good, it is just the parts in-between that would concern me.

It seems like every time that I see a Volkswagen on the road, it either has a headlight or tail light out.

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
2/23/14 8:28 a.m.

Yea ive heard they literally have miles of wiring running though them and are complete electrical nightmares when something goes wrong

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/23/14 9:36 a.m.

As I understand, they are cheap way to get a Bentley Continental. Problem is, they still cost luxury car money to fix. I think I'd pick one over a 7 series or an S-Class, though, partially to have something different, and partially because I hear they have very nice interiors.

Edit: It might not be as fancy, but I'd pick a Lexus LS400 over any of the above choices.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/23/14 9:56 a.m.

Its been so long that I've heard anything about these that I had to remind myself what they looked like. And that would be something like an over-inflated Passat.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/23/14 10:09 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: Yea ive heard they literally have miles of wiring running though them and are complete electrical nightmares when something goes wrong

The Bentleys are drop dead reliable, IMO, though and they have the extra turbos and the v12. Did VW change to cam bus wiring or something.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
2/23/14 11:31 a.m.

I always thought they were a cool concept that never really had a chance. I wonder how much of the electronics was parts bin engineered from Audi? Not sure if that is really any better.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/23/14 11:50 a.m.

My parents have one. They keep things insanely well maintained to the point where all of their cars (even ones decades old) still look new. Even so, their phaeton has had quite a bit of its electronics replaced/serviced. Also, randomly the the dash will just go dark maybe once a year, requiring a shut off/restart to get it back. It also doesn't appreciate sitting for very long. a month of sitting and it runs as rough as my old van which sometimes spends months on end sitting with no difference in roughness. I wouldn't want one without significant proof of unusually good upkeep.

If it doesn't break (read: when it's working between glitches) it's fantastic. Very very comfy, very quiet, plenty of power, goes 100+ as stable as it does 35. Good stereo, handles great for a 5,000+lb car.

Most of the important electronic feature (like those linked to mechanical stuff like the suspension controls, trunk motors, etc...) and the mechanical stuff has performed quite reliably, but I think they're on their 3rd CD changer, 2nd in dash display thingy, second driver's cup holder, and a few sensors.

I'd take a pass on owning one, but riding in one maintained by someone else sure is nice.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
2/23/14 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Pretty much this. Its the perfect car.....for someone else.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/23/14 3:57 p.m.

I got to drive one about 20 miles once. The thing is deceptively quick. Mostly because of how smooth it is.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/14 4:55 p.m.

I never understood why they just had to make it a VW. As an Audi it would have been better received. perhaps an A9 or A10

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/23/14 4:59 p.m.

I thought the A8 of the time was the aluminum version of the Phaeton?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/23/14 5:18 p.m.

I don't go to any dealerships ( I own a tool truck) but I do go to an independent VW shop. One guy loves seeing them because it means THE CUSTOMER HAD TO PRE-APPROVE $5K IN DIAGNOSTIC CHARGES TO MAKE IT INTO THE SHOP. The other guys won't work on them no matter how much they pay. Read into that what you will, but if you need service in Louisville I know a guy

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/14 5:30 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I never understood why they just had to make it a VW. As an Audi it would have been better received. perhaps an A9 or A10

IIRC, it was a move to appease the domestic market that did NOT payoff stateside.

I think they are really interesting, different cars in the class. If I had the money to throw away it'd be my pick in the segment, just because it's different.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
2/23/14 6:22 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: My parents have one. They keep things insanely well maintained to the point where all of their cars (even ones decades old) still look new. Even so, their phaeton has had quite a bit of its electronics replaced/serviced. Also, randomly the the dash will just go dark maybe once a year, requiring a shut off/restart to get it back. It also doesn't appreciate sitting for very long. a month of sitting and it runs as rough as my old van which sometimes spends months on end sitting with no difference in roughness. I wouldn't want one without significant proof of unusually good upkeep.

...and that's probably the most reliable one out there.

I really feel bad for the people who bought one. I remember seeing them at the auto show when they were new. There was a loaded W12 model on display with a sticker price around 6 figures. I remember saying to my wife "Wonder what it'll be worth in 5 years...".

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/23/14 6:37 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Rufledt wrote: My parents have one. They keep things insanely well maintained to the point where all of their cars (even ones decades old) still look new. Even so, their phaeton has had quite a bit of its electronics replaced/serviced. Also, randomly the the dash will just go dark maybe once a year, requiring a shut off/restart to get it back. It also doesn't appreciate sitting for very long. a month of sitting and it runs as rough as my old van which sometimes spends months on end sitting with no difference in roughness. I wouldn't want one without significant proof of unusually good upkeep.
...and that's probably the most reliable one out there.

Probably! Like I said, they keep their cars very well maintained and treated very well. The only cars they ever have problems with are chevy trucks, the phaeton, and a 1995 Ford Windstar. All of those examples made it -maybe- 6 months from purchasing before problems set in (all purchased new).

The phaeton has all been electronic issues, the windstar had a mix of electronic and drivetrain problems (it all had to be replaced. Transmission, engine, gauge cluster, radio, everything) but was replaced long before the chronic rust became known, and the chevy trucks seemed to all have major mechanical weaknesses, except for their 2003 express box truck, which had mainly electrical problems and even caught on fire

Looking at it that way, the phaeton's chronically fried CD changer seems like small potatos... OTOH, their old pick ups are probably worth about as much as it costs to change anything on a Phaeoton.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/14 7:12 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I thought the A8 of the time was the aluminum version of the Phaeton?

A8 came before the Phaeton... way before

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/23/14 7:25 p.m.

Otherwise, yes you are correct. A8 is aluminum, Phaeton is steel.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/23/14 8:07 p.m.

so the Phaeton is a cost down version of the A8. That actually explains allot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PQVrstyaIbcXOLDVN9ioOdVqiUGQWGaf5euSxkaCn75rfSJeYthU5NUHmOjpaWgl